Notices

Hatch keyless/alarm issue.

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2017, 04:11 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Hatch keyless/alarm issue.

Apologies for the long post but its best to explain in full so i can hopefully get some help.

So after car being off the road for 2 months , when I went to collect it the keyless entry wouldn't work then neither would the fob. I used the key to unlock and relock then tried the keyless again and it worked. Put it down to battery being unused. Been driving about for a month since and it did the same the other day.
Friday I went to get in the car (sat for 5 days) and it did it again but had to use the key to open as the keyless or fob wouldn't work at all (tried spare fob)
And of course the alarm sounded and I couldn't shut it up. Push button start was recognising the key was in range but car wouldn't start , it was like a dead battery but the radio and dash etc all lit up fine , only died when I "turned the ignition".

Ended up pushing car out of garage and using jump leads off my van. Had to let it charge for 5mins before it would let me start. . . . .with alarm sounding the whole time.

Drove up motor way on Friday and it opened and closed fine. Used it Saturday for 2 short runs , both fine.
Went out this morning and had to use key to unlock and lock before the keyless entry would work.

Would it be a fob battery ? (They were both fitted with new batteries a year ago when I bought the car according to the dealer)
Would the car battery be dead ? Seemed to sound alarm , radio , dash lit ok. (Until I tried to start it)
Was it the immobiliser or something stopping me from starting rather than the car battery ?
If the fob stops working and I use the key to access , the alarm doesn't deactivate so how the hell to I start car or stop alarm sounding !
Old 11 June 2017, 05:57 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

And of course the alarm sounded and I couldn't shut it up.
1) do you know your alarm PIN ?? or where the keypad is?? for turning alarm off when the fob doesn't work.
2) change your key fob batteries for fresh.
3) fully recharge/condition your car battery or replace it.

Some additional info that may or may not be pertinent..................

Originally Posted by salsa-king
HELP:

Car is on the drive and I can't use the key fob or keyless entry to get in the car.... or to start it, unless fey fob is next to the START button!!

Thought it was battery.. went out and bought new one.. £3.50.

came back. still same problem.

Manage to get the car started... drove down the road.... everything worked fine, lock/unlock/start etc

Came home again..... guess what.. nothing worked!

SO.. the issue is radio waves in the air blocking the transponder?

could be a house alarm??

I can lock the car with the Key.. but how do i set the alarm?.. and turn alarm off?
(KEYPAD?)
Originally Posted by Don Clark
Have had this a couple of times on my driveway suspiciously following a visit by BT Openreach to the Close

The car alarm part works on the usual 433.92Mhz band whereas the keyless part (close proximity) operates on a lower frequency somewhere about 125Khz, a similar frequency to some RFID bar code scanners.

Wifi is much higher at 2.4Ghz although I think it may/can swamp the lower frequency signals.

I don't appear to have any problems when my neighbour is out or has his windows closed, but that may just be coincidence.

Can only resort to key and alarm keypad at such times and waking the neighbours up as you fumble to get to the keypad
Originally Posted by salsa-king
SORTED!!!!!

you wouldn't believe it!!

our house alarm (wireless system) control panel was showing LOW BATTERY, so check all the PIR/door contacts, found the PIR that was low battery, changed it.. tested the whole system.. LOW BATTERY light now gone out.

The Subaru Now OPENS/CLOSES/STARTS!!! with key fob + door handle button!!

Scarey!

So I've wasted £3.50 on a new key fob battery that I didn't need.

Last edited by Don Clark; 11 June 2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: posts from " 08/09 Hatches, Stand up and show yourselves!!!" added
Old 11 June 2017, 08:04 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

This issue has now occurred in 3 different locations. Weirdly though my phone has been operating my remote control room light , TV , and soundbar ! Don't think I had my phone on me today though but it's something to consider.
Edit: just did it again so I set my phone out of the way and it worked ! Might be blocking signal from the key.

I'll try new fob battery and work from there , and I think I did the code when I bought car but I'll need to double check.

if I use the code to disarm the alarm how do I start the car ? Or can I ?

Last edited by CharlySkunkWeed; 11 June 2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11 June 2017, 10:30 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

If the battery goes flat in your fob you can hold the fob (buttons facing towards you)directly in front of the start button whilst pushing start, the fob has to be in a certain position so you might have to have a few goes.
Old 13 June 2017, 08:37 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Think its just a fob battery. The spare probably wouldn't work as I'd set alarm off and in my panic I probably should've locked it and set/unset alarm first (hopefully)

I'll use spare in meantime , if I replace battery does it need programmed or anything ?
Old 13 June 2017, 10:31 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Think its just a fob battery. The spare probably wouldn't work as I'd set alarm off and in my panic I probably should've locked it and set/unset alarm first (hopefully)

I'll use spare in meantime , if I replace battery does it need programmed or anything ?
No, as long as you don't leave it without a battery for any length of time, but that's more for the alarm side of things and you can re-code that yourself if necessary.

Last edited by Don Clark; 13 June 2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 13 June 2017, 10:48 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Thank you Don. We'd be lost without you