Notices

oil temp gauge pegged at max ???

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2017, 09:20 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil temp gauge pegged at max ???

hello peeps , now don't laugh but I been trying to get this dam oil temp gauge to work for 6 months !! its prosport performance gauge ive had the gauge of car and wired direct of battery minus to minus red to red the needle jumps to the right 3 oclock position .... I cant get my head around it. also I connected the sensor to check this didn't have any effect but still no the needle remained over to the right. the gauge comes on does its little dance , needle rests as said at 3 clock and stays there. the amber headlight function works fine, my oil pressure gauge didn't have this problem. nice easy no mess fitting and connecting. can anyone shed some light on it? so to speak . or should I just bite the bullet and buy another. r spec any good? or little devil?
Old 12 June 2017, 07:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you using the correct sender?
Old 12 June 2017, 11:59 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Hello Alcazar, yes the sensor is the one that came with gauge. Its very confusing as the oil pressure worked straight of the bat, but this one isn't having it at all.. have tried re wiring it off the car and re wiring it 3 times on the car , I sent the gauge back for testing from where it was bought, they posted me photos of it working. If I connect direct of a separate car battery live to red black to earth surely the needle would do its dance then settle at low bottom left side of scale? or am been fooled here? also I got a separate sensor to test, but did same thing. am led to believe my wiring is poss at fault but as I got the other 2 correct I don't hink so. thanks for your response .
Old 13 June 2017, 08:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends how the gauge works.
If you connect it to 12V directly, you are assuming that 12V would give a minimum reading?
Is the sender plugged in when on 12V?
Old 13 June 2017, 05:31 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

indeed yes I connected both with sensor incase it created open circuit ,and tried without sensor . both outcomes the same I think might be worth a go with another guage perhaps as I feel ive exhausted all options of this and that. just strange as the gauge itself is working powering up and even reads amber headlight switching , but needle is persistant in suggesting my oil is at dangerous levels and that certainly isn't the case.
Old 13 June 2017, 06:13 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you earth the sensor when you tried it ??

A lot of sender units/ sensors work with a 5v power supply and a signal voltage of between 0.5 and 4.5v. Ive never had prosport gauges but all my gauges work that way.

If you have a multi voltage dc adapter at home you could try giving it a 3v signal voltage and see how the gauge behaves.
Old 13 June 2017, 09:16 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

ok I may need to ask a daft question here , as u say the sensor requires a power source , so if one wire is earth the other (white) is the signal wire to guage (green) in prosports case. so how does the sensor infact get any power input? so now I must put this in as well , I have and it may of been wrong to do so I put 12 volts to the green wire on back of guage to see if this would drop the needle but it didn't , have i poss damaged it? the sensor was earthed yes in car and on separate battery when i removed it to test away from car.
Old 14 June 2017, 06:48 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt read your post correctly, most pressure sensors require a 5v power supply but temp sensors are generally just two wires, earth and signal.

Copy and paste from Prosport support page..

Q: My Gauge does not work-the needle stays pegged?
A: 99% of the time this is because the gauge is not fully hooked up. Meaning, the sender needs to be installed and powered up for the gauge to work properly. If you have a premium series gauge, make sure the sensor harness is pushed in all the way in the back of the gauge. You may need a pick or small flat head screw driver to give the connection a good push. If you have a performance series gauge and the Gauge is pegged at full scale that usually means the sender is not getting a good ground. Check to make sure the connections are good and the wires have not been compromised. If the gauge is pegged at 0 or full bottom scale that could the sender does not have a good 12v power supply. If the pointer slowly rises until it pegs out that means that the output signal wire is not connected.
Old 14 June 2017, 08:58 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

chears for that dubzy , yes I did read that on prosports site, ive come to conclusion the sender sensor is naff or im hoping it is, I have ordered a new one today from r spec. I think the connection inside sender isn't as should be for 15 quid all in its worth a try before I order a simple time clock instead . or may get afr gauge ...