Notices

Mad Plans GC Electrics Uprage Posible or Mad Science?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2016, 12:25 PM
defilplayer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mad Plans GC Electrics Uprage Posible or Mad Science?

Hey there people
Few weeks ago i turned 18 and pass the license exam thats means i finally can make my dreams come true a 98 Impreza GC haha
So lets go to the piont
I'am wondering is it possible to put some new tech into the old old subie. I mean if somehow i would get the whole electric stuff from engine control to traction control and even trip computers and other today standard equipment
Worth the fuss or not what you experts think of it ?
Some might say "BUY A NEW ONE" well GC are cheap in Poland well not the sti wrx wersion but normal 2.0 N/A are cheap and also parts from wrecked cars are also cheap VERY
So a nice GC with a new electronics
Greetings
Old 23 February 2016, 04:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Great stuff.

Can't wait for your thread on how to.......
Old 24 February 2016, 10:47 AM
defilplayer
Scooby Newbie

alcazar thanks for being interested

So does any fellow Scooby Lover have a full wiring diagram for the GC and for any nice well equipment subie ? Legacy Impreza Forester
If not then I'll do the searching myself this is for looking for the difference and to estimate how much I can reuse and how hard it will be
Old 24 February 2016, 09:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

A search on Google might find wiring diagrams, but beware:

They tend to change from year to year and even then, colours are NOT to be relied on.
Old 24 February 2016, 10:27 PM
defilplayer
Scooby Newbie

Don't worry at school we are thought to be "professional" electrics workers. Schematics are just the easiest thing to follow no need for complicated maths :P
So back little update took me sometime to find some wiring diagrams the 98 subie was quiet easy to find, the car that hopeful i'll get,now on the other one is a 2012 Subaru Impreza yeah that makes a MY98 pretend to be a MY12 oh now is this RICE?

Started to quickly analyse them both, to tell that past the 10 years everything is different but on the good side, wiring from the 2012 is easier just punch of wires connected to modules the bad side there are a lot of them and need kilometres of copper the 98 has less modules but the thing is more complex due to the strange branches in wires. Well I still say it will be pretty easy to do it. The only hard stuff will be finding the modules needed,salvaging the 98 loom, finding/modding connectors and finding the right spot to place them.

I hope Subaru is lazy like most manufactures and one module for the whole brand like VW does(Come on Audi drivers admit it you drive a Passat not a A6)
I would love to give the wiring diagrams but they are to heavy

So next thing do a RESEARCH about subaru modules. Any info on them will be help full. I'll keep a update on what I learned after that the posting will stop until I wont get my subie and start buying stuff
Old 25 February 2016, 12:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'll be following this.

The most I've done to my 98 car was fit a rear wash-wipe and folding mirrors from a JDM car.....oh and Xenon projector headlights and Xenon driving lights.

Your English is very good btw.
Old 25 February 2016, 08:38 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Passing thought but it maybe easier just to start over on the loom, rather than splicing the old one. You'll end up adding quite a lot of new cable either way and if you replace it completely you can still use the car whilst you make the loom (and you can use nicer connectors).
Old 25 February 2016, 11:18 PM
defilplayer
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'll be following this.

The most I've done to my 98 car was fit a rear wash-wipe and folding mirrors from a JDM car.....oh and Xenon projector headlights and Xenon driving lights.

Your English is very good btw.
Alcazar got any threads about the rear wash-wiper mod and the folding mirrors this would totally help me in the near future.
Thanks, trying hard at school to get good grades also Mozilla underlines if I miss spell something

Originally Posted by neil-h
Passing thought but it maybe easier just to start over on the loom, rather than splicing the old one. You'll end up adding quite a lot of new cable either way and if you replace it completely you can still use the car whilst you make the loom (and you can use nicer connectors).
It is possible the original 98 loom will be reused but still modifying it is the key thing, probably it will look as if I'am going to make a new loom using salvaged wires, at the best shot I could find a original harness and use it then it basically will be something like a PLUG and PLAY kit.

There are few thing that make me feel very worried but I'll talk about it when it is time
Old 26 February 2016, 10:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I've done one for folding mirrors I can send you, but will need an email address, (PM it me, don't put it on here).

The wash-wipe was easy.

Grade A Subaru (breakers) sold me a "kit" of rear screen with hole, wiper motor and arm, washer pump and reservoir, plus the new stalk needed to operate it.

That left me to connect it via fuse 15 and a relay.

A friend fitted the new screen for nothing.
The rest took me about 4 hours.
Old 28 February 2016, 01:10 PM
defilplayer
Scooby Newbie

Quick Update on my research
On excel I sorted out every part on the diagram of the 2012 and compared it to the 98
I deleted from the list what was in the 98 and 12.I was left with a bunch of switches and sensors, Engine sensors and valve and controls, Airbag system also modules like Body Integrated Unit, Power Steering, VDC, TPMS&Keyless Entry.
Ok sensors and switches are super easy to modify put modules they are going to be hard without dedicated connectors.

But I'am very scared about the airbags system I'am not sure what to do with them
Not connecting a airbag or sensor will cause error, bypassing them could resolute in a glitch and sudden airbag deployment, SCARY, also adding extra airbags sounds nice because safety but I wouldn't be so sure about it. The car wasn't designed to have curtain and knee airbags and having them could make more harm
Old 28 February 2016, 10:14 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'd be really careful about adding extra airbags, it's not as simple is bolting them in and wiring them up. The easiest/safest bet is to link out the airbags you don't have with a resistor (you should be able to find the correct value on Google, or someone on here may know). That shouldn't cause any glitches as all your doing is substituting the airbag element with a resistor (so the car thinks it sees an airbag).

As for connectors, if your lucky you maybe able to pick up the full loom second hand then splice into it as required. The only headache you may find is the 2012 model is going to be CANBUS, where as I'm not sure the '98 model is. So getting the 2 too talk could be interesting.
Old 29 February 2016, 05:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The 98 models is not CANBUS, and yes, it will be a massive headache.
Old 29 February 2016, 06:02 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
The 98 models is not CANBUS, and yes, it will be a massive headache.
Not insurmountable but as you say, one hell of a headache (you'd have to be pretty keen).