Notices

Bugeye HID Ballast Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2016, 11:31 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye HID Ballast Replacement

One of my OEM Ballasts has died so I've purchased a replacement generic ballast as they are only £20 compared to the £325 for an OEM one!

As my car is a UK WRX I have one of the old school 'Wagons Ho' adapter harnesses from the H4 to the Ballasts and the main beam. I am planning to remove the H4 connector in it's entirety and hard wire the adapter loom to the cars harness.

I'm fairly confident that the Adapter harness will plug straoight into the new Ballast or that I can get the correct plug to do so but What I would like to know is if anybody know what type of plug is on the end of the wire from the HID bulb to the ballast harness as they don't plug directly into the ballast.

Also does it matter if the polarity at the bulb is reversed as I don't know what the polarity on the output wires from the Ballast are (I'm waiting for the company to get back to me)
Old 04 March 2016, 05:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you sure you have a ballast which is right for your bulb? AFAIK, the socket on the ballasts is pretty much universal for the bulbs.

I'd not get the polarity wrong if I could help it either.

Oh, and best of luck. A £20 ballast is likely to be just that: cheap. There's a reason decent ones are expensive.
Old 04 March 2016, 05:54 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bulb plugs straight into a connector on a braided cable that's plugs into the ballast...The bulb is a D2S so a connector to suit that, the ballasts are not just on imprezas

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/222032925952
Old 04 March 2016, 07:37 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

The bugeye lamps have the D2s connector on a lead built into the light with a connector that the ballast connects to, so in effect there are two connectors between the ballast and the bulb.

As per the picture below, the HID feed is one of the leads from the ballast

Last edited by BlueBugEye; 04 March 2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05 March 2016, 12:17 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
The bugeye lamps have the D2s connector on a lead built into the light with a connector that the ballast connects to, so in effect there are two connectors between the ballast and the bulb.

As per the picture below, the HID feed is one of the leads from the ballast
They are the early ones, I had the later ones like in the link I put up, I'm sure they come off the 2pin plug as I dont remember using the 3 pin triangular one...I'm sure I tucked this away but it was about 7 years ago when I did the conversion on my old UK bug so a bit of guess I'm afraid

I also made a loom for the headlight levelling to function but you'll need a different 6 pin switch(in dash) for this if memory serves as the UK is a 4 pin and works differently as the hid's use voltage to raise and lower.

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 05 March 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05 March 2016, 05:21 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I've managed to sort it today, I actually only needed to clean the contacts properly on the old ballast! The replacement wouldn't have worked as it appears the OEM ballasts have the igniters on the bulb holder not integrated so I'd have needed a replacement bulb holder as well.
Old 05 March 2016, 05:44 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Yes they do lol but irrelevant now if they are working, I went through this when one of mine went years back...swapped left to right and confirmed it was knackered.
Old 05 March 2016, 06:15 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'd already swapped bulbs and headlights once, it was the connecto to the ballast, once I'd got it out and disconnected it water came out of the socket!
Old 06 March 2016, 11:30 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to find some way of making the socket waterproof. try spraying with waxoyl.
Old 06 March 2016, 03:51 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I've repositioned the Ballast with the connector pointing down as it should be installed in the OE setup.

I also put some of the non setting silicone around the socket to form more of a seal. Should give me a few more years!