Notices

Morettes on a classic - what replacements for units?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2015, 03:45 PM
TylerD529
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Morettes on a classic - what replacements for units?

As per title -
I've obtained a set of used Morette headlights and the lower parts of the reflectors have corroded as per the norm it would seem.
My query is what do other people do to cure this?
I've seen the seller on eBay "Bolt on Bits" selling a full set of replacement light units for £140 - £145 - has anyone else fitted these?
Also been doing a bit of research and seemingly the lights from BMW 5 and 7 series (E34 and E37) have the same 5 3/4" diameter - these have projectors so i was thinking that they could be an easy way to get a projector upgrade into the classic housing. Anyone else went down this route? Obviously would still need to obtain inner light units - 5" ones from somewhere (probably aforementioned eBay seller).
Are there any other options out there?

Thanks in advance for your replies / opinions
Old 22 October 2015, 08:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The inners, and outers used to be Cibie, but they stopped production of the inners some years ago.

Since then, Hella have come to the rescue with a set that not only fit, but use a H3 bulb, not the dreaded H2 which didn't take kindly to uprating.

Meanwhile, the outers are readily available, but buy decent, Cibie, Hella, etc, not cheap Chinese.

As for projectors, do make sure they physically fit before splashing the cash...there's not that much space behind.
Old 22 October 2015, 09:36 PM
TylerD529
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BMW units looked quite shallow so hopefully they'd fit - or I could mod the rear cover on the morette body.
Will probably just grab the hella set / less of a faff!
Thanks Alcazar once again
Old 23 October 2015, 10:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If using the Hellas set, you can use uprated bulbs like Osram Nightbreaker, Philips Extreme, Halfords Ultra Brilliance, in the outers, and either uprtaed, or even 100/130W ones in the inners.....just use decent wiring to the inners and select a fuse according to;

fuse size, (Amps) = wattage /12, then choose the nearest size available BIGGER than that.

Pics of my setup using morettes with standard inners and 60% up[rated outers, (not the 120% available now), are available here: https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...-lamp-kit.html post 26.