Notices

Immobiliser keeps arming

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2015, 07:19 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immobiliser keeps arming

Probably easier to go through what happens..

I get in the car (only opening and closing drivers door) and the car starts fine.
If I open any other door, including the boot the car won't start until I lock and unlock it again using my fob.
Also the other day I sat in my car alone for a few minutes then tried starting, again the immobiliser kicked in and wouldn't start until I locked and unlocked.
The engine management light is on, this has been diagnosed as the alternator being "low voltage" however it has been tested and is working perfectly fine. Every time the code is cleared and the car is started its coming back on again.

The mechanic who fit my engine thinks their might be an electrical fault causing the alternator to trip the car every time it starts causing the EML. Could this be the same reason my immobiliser is acting up?
Old 14 July 2015, 02:06 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like your immobiliser is working properly. You have 30 seconds to start the car after opening, otherwise the immobiliser will arm again. If you open the boot or a back door, by the time you get in the car the immobiliser will have re-armed.

Normal procedure in this case is to turn on the ignition then press the fob to de-arm the immobiliser. It shouldn't be necessary to lock and unlock the car, as said this avoided by having the key in and the ignition on.

The EML is another fault unconnected I would say.
Old 14 July 2015, 05:03 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Interesting, I've never owned a car where this has had to be done. I'll give that a go today and see what happens. I'll be over the moon if it's all working fine one more problem I can scratch off the list. Thanks for replying bud.
Old 14 July 2015, 08:17 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DanGlennon
Interesting, I've never owned a car where this has had to be done. I'll give that a go today and see what happens. I'll be over the moon if it's all working fine one more problem I can scratch off the list. Thanks for replying bud.
Its because the Subaru alarm is Thatcham rated so it has to re-immobilise if you don't start the car.

Try this - unlock your car with the fob - wait - after 45 seconds without opening the doors etc. the car should re-lock itself and re-arm the alarm.
Old 15 July 2015, 06:24 PM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice mate works perfectly fine. Left it like you said and it locked. After opening I left it for a while and didn't start it and the immobiliser turned on so i turned the key in the ignition and pressed the button, started straight away. Cheers