Notices

2004 Headlight too high after bulb change

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2014, 02:41 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Headlight too high after bulb change

I have a 2004 WRX with standard front headlamps. For my MOT the tester adjusted the switch inside the car to the highest position and this was fine most of the time.

I had to change the dipped beam headlight bulb again (mine seem to go about every three months). I then drove that evening at night and found that one of the bulbs was projecting very very high. I turned the switch right down in the car which helped, but the bulb is still very high on one side and doesn't line up with the other.

I have taken the units off the car and when putting the headlamps on the bench and looking at them from the front with a slight bird's eye view the two inside dishes are at different angles on each side. What I thought might have happened is that I have accidently pushed one of the dipped beam headlight dishes off the adjuster when fitting the last bulb.

I know that I should really put them back and get someone to check out the movement while I adjust the switch to see the range of movement but for one or two reasons I haven't been able to do that so easily first.

I thought I would find out if there is a common problem of this happening after a bulb change? Or any other ideas, recommendations etc as I am concerned that if I start taking the headlight apart it will move the adjuster and, a bit like a timing belt, I will not know where it should be...
Old 30 December 2014, 04:03 PM
Sub-Subaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In particular one of the things I was wondering is how the beam adjuster pivots the dish for the dipped beam. Does it do it one side or both.
Old 03 January 2015, 04:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If it's like a classic, it simply pushed the bottom in or out on a ball and socket joint...and yes, quite easy to dislodge