LED Third Brake Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2014, 03:38 PM
MK Radical
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Third Brake Light Not Working

Hi,

My LED third brake light on my 05 WRX is not working. My other brake lights are working fine. I think the LED strip is an aftermarket one as the boot spoiler is an aftermarket spoiler, which came with the car when I bought it.

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me where abouts the third brake light fuse would be as I have looked in the handbook and online and can't find it or if it has one? Also any other advice on what the problem could be would be great.

Thanks.

MK Radical
Old 13 April 2014, 09:46 PM
Wyorksautoectrical
Scooby Regular

Hi, no there isn't a separate fuse. Are you sure it's a led light as some have a row of cappless bulbs in these and they disintegrate due to water.
You need to get a test light on the wires to see that you have the stop supply and a earth to it, if not check the wires as they are routed around the hinge of the boot.
Old 14 April 2014, 09:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd GUESS wiring or connector: unlikely that ALL the LEDS will go at once.
Old 17 April 2014, 07:44 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

is it one of the GC8 style high lever spoilers with the 3rd brakelight on the underside of the wing? i got one of those about a week ago and it had a section of dud LED's. they are linked up in groups of 4 or 5 so if one fails in a group it takes the others in that group out with it.

sounds like a loose connection or wire has come off or something.

assuming it is one of those spoilers you have i literally just finished replacing the LED strip in mine with some adhesive backed SMD LED strip lighting from maplin rather than farting about trying to find matching LED's and having to remove and solder in new LED's, plus the others were aging and some looked ready to let go as well so best change the lot i figured. i will probably write up a DIY as the procedure for most LED 3rd brakelights that are spoiler mounted would be very similar. also probably cheaper than a replacement subaru 3rd brake light unit on a genuine spoiler as well.. cost me the grand total of 8.05 and about 2 hours of my time, including going to maplin to get the strip lights. i would have ebayed the strip lights but with bank holidays and such tomorrow and early next week id be waiting for ages for it to arrive and i wanted to get it done today..

Last edited by DmcL; 17 April 2014 at 07:45 PM.