Notices

subaru's

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2007, 11:14 AM
geoffo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool subaru's

ok, this is a interest we ALL share and have in common but what's the drive, the draw and attraction to these particular cars for you?

i know as a rally fan McRae made me feel that there was more to life than just existing although anything after that is a bonus for me anyway and i feel owning my MY_98 is my bonus. it took me "years" to be able to afford the 10yr old yoke i have but if i had all the money in the world i would never ever steer away from the impreza, my favourites being the classic, bug-eye, WR1 and and and the spec-C!

seeing as im on a budget it has has limited me to a classic model but i dont feel out-done by the newer versions because the camaraderie in this circle is one of genuine enthusiasm that never looks down on lesser power or value and i have enjoyed that this year with you guys at the various shows, meets and general arsing about in cars that we've gotten upto and thanks for that guys.

so... tell me this - what's makes you tick when you think subaru?

flat four rumble that sets of shop alarms or that can be heard singing for miles around on a calm night in the ulster countryside?
4wd thats so addictive when it comes to B-road hammering sessions?
raw, tuneable power that demands a driver (unlike an evo that demands a yaw computer?)
shape? looks?
the seats that come as standard which accommodate harnesses?

just a few things that comes to mind, what about yous?
Old 21 December 2007, 11:24 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Nothing quite sounds like a flat 4. Being brought up working at Beetles that flat 4 thing is in the blood. Despite the chocolate piston claims an Impreza mapped by an expert is virtually indestructable
Old 21 December 2007, 11:41 AM
geoffo
Scooby Regular

yeah mate, the "flump" factor deffo does it for me, gotta love firing my wee one up and letting the hassles of the office just float away.
Old 21 December 2007, 12:19 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

the noise. simple as that. i bought a scooby, havin NEVER driven one in my life just for the sound. it could have driven like a tank and i wouldnt have cared!! was very surprised how nice it is 2 drive......handling is unreal.......but it still comes down to the note!
Old 21 December 2007, 12:25 PM
BrocaghJohn
Scooby Regular

Im pretty new to it all having been a Big Ford fan with a Mk2 Mexico and Series 1 RS turbo stored away.For me thought, for the money it was the agressive looks ( the thing looks like the rally car ) 4wd and the deal was done soon as I heard the rumble of it.Even at 40 mph nothing sounds like them, its V8 power to get that sound from anything else.

John
Old 21 December 2007, 12:57 PM
geoffo
Scooby Regular

john - nice cars hid away mate, id kill for a blue or red rs16i
Old 21 December 2007, 01:28 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

for me it was just the cult of the car.

Have wanted one since i was 19, was nothing to do with their rally success or who drove them, just remember hearing my first scooby and thinking HOLY **** thats awesome.

Sitting in traffic and any time i saw one putting my window down to hear the exhaust.

They are very special cars and everyone who drives one will rant about how good they are.

just gotta love them

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2007, 02:44 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

or me it's the whole package..... the looks the sound the performance and the big Subaru family thing. ( although you don't get the waves here you got in England)
Old 21 December 2007, 04:03 PM
mr.sheen
Scooby Regular

ive owned my scooby for 8 or 9 years now and its been 100% loyal. for me nothing else comes close, ive never even thought about changing it and i think geoffo has listed everthing i like about them. they are the ultimate!
Old 21 December 2007, 04:14 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

It was the rallyin that got me into them, Always dreamed of owning 1 and it wasnt till my m8 bought his RB5 that I first really heard the flat 4(instant sticky pants), Thought about an EVO but every time I went 2 luk at 1 all I could think of was a SCOOBY!
Old 21 December 2007, 05:22 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

nothing beats coming over the top of a hill on a back road and seeing nothing s coming at about three in the morning

and just dropping it two gears................ ahhhhhh dear god that noise

i think that they are the complete package as cars go.

but i 100% agree with everything geoff said
Old 21 December 2007, 06:02 PM
ulsterscooby
Scooby Regular

Location: Way out in front!!, wheels spinnin, flame spittin, turbo spoolin!!! --- Go home love, nobody cares!

Always wanted a scooby and finally with the kids a bit grown up mortgage payments controllable and old enough to insure one, after years of company cars and now a company van I just had to make that dream come true 2nd year of ownership now and I haven't looked back once.
To me right now one of the best things about owning a scooby has been the friendships I have made with like minded people especially here on scoobynet I don't think you would get the comradeship found in the scooby fraternity driving any other car.
Oh and roundabouts just got to love taking it to the limit
Old 21 December 2007, 06:17 PM
OLLIeRB5
Scooby Regular

always been a total honda head.. still am.. love the vtec till the day I die.

I wanted something different, something you dont see everyday, and the one car that popped into my head was the RB5, and i recalled seeing a customer of my dads who had EVERY Impreza special edition, usually from new, brought in this spanking new RB5, with about 15 miles on the clock... I loved it, and thought, I really wish one day i could afford one of those... cuz back then this thing was serious money compared to my £6k new 106!

we all know i`ve had a rocky road the first few months, but the friendship and comaraderie (sp?) on here is unreal, someones always wanting to help, always wanting to boost your spirits when your down about the car, always offering advice... and in jamies case, always ringing me to tell me what the ****ers ordered then demonstrating it and annoying my neighbours.

thats the one main thing i noticed over the honda world, where locally its all about.. my vtecs faster than yours. here its like all the guys with silly power still respect the little guy and vice versa.

so for me :
child hood memories (i`m only a young lad like)
Friendships on here
Flat 4 burble

and the fact that the same £££ spend on buying a good scooby, gets you a total dog of an evo.. i know.. i looked at tons
Old 21 December 2007, 06:31 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

For me it has to be the noise and the rip when ye drop a couple of gears to go flat out!!

Oh and its great fun tuning them to get that wee bit more out of them every so often
Old 21 December 2007, 08:38 PM
mark12
Scooby Regular

legacy was the first draw, seeing & hearing bertie in the toughmac........shape of the impreza grew very quicky.......remember seeing my first road going impreza parked inside lurgan park, green with gold speedlines (still have the pictures)......was a big RS nut until that stage.....impreza it's a true cult car!...........dare I say, above any other?
Old 21 December 2007, 09:16 PM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

after readin this earlier i went out for a wee rip
Old 21 December 2007, 10:48 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

can't blame you. Roads are slippy tonight though had some sideways moments myself earlier
Old 21 December 2007, 11:32 PM
geoffo
Scooby Regular

not a bad wee spur of the moment thread jo & me went to "spice" near antrim tonite for a vindaloo instead of turkay, the carpark had a few swanky motors that looked like they cost the earth but i kept the side up for the boys with a brave exit on the greasey road!

ps - good grub guys!
Old 21 December 2007, 11:59 PM
big-kev
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For me its that famous flat four sound , shear power , looks and build quality.But i had to wait a few years before i could buy one , due to the insurance cost.Personaly i would rather have a classic than a new age impreza as i think that the classic are a lot more raw and the new age has been tamed down slightly.But one thing is for sure you can,nt beat the japs when it comes to building cars !!!!!!!! and believe me i know as i work for Ford and some of the crap we send out is unbelievable.
Old 22 December 2007, 02:48 PM
wills 78
Scooby Regular

Default subaru legacy..

i myself started out with a dolly mixture of motor veichels since school days the main ones being volkwagon polos lol and fords not the fastest of wagons but grand memorys none the less.. my most meomorbale being the orion giha 1600 a 1400 orion i drove for a couple o years olso, the subaru bug got me going coming on 5years this coming january whislt i was travelling in newzealand a family i wrked for in south ilsand ran 2 auto estate wagons and a manual twin turbo saloon.. every thing started there for me i went on to purchase the twin turbo and have never! looked back almost 5years ago i almost cried selling her on to come backhome i tried in vain to import her i couldent justify the funds and dad wouldent here tell of the idea much to my annoyance at him, i got a bit of own back at him with my current machine feel better tho when payments end next year lol.. although im running non turbo at present it has to be the imfamous beautifull note/gurggle does it for me heaps... if im in wrk before geoff and can be arsed to have a marlbourgh in the cold! i eagerly await with much envy! lol on his arrival along the carrageway..
Old 22 December 2007, 08:27 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

always been big on rallying, Bertie Fisher was the man that done it for me wi scoobys, hearing him with the FEL 555 on the start line, full anti lag, high revs, spitting, farting, popping and banging that made ya jump, and that was wi ear plugs and ear defenders on, the sweet smell of the fuel, boy I do miss Bertie at the rally start lines
then Colin and Ritchy, In my opinion 3 of these men ever to drive the scoobys to the utmost limit and do more for subaru in the early days and who would be very hard to beat today, if at all
Old 22 December 2007, 09:46 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gojonnyjo
always been big on rallying, Bertie Fisher was the man that done it for me wi scoobys, hearing him with the FEL 555 on the start line, full anti lag, high revs, spitting, farting, popping and banging that made ya jump, and that was wi ear plugs and ear defenders on, the sweet smell of the fuel, boy I do miss Bertie at the rally start lines
then Colin and Ritchy, In my opinion 3 of these men ever to drive the scoobys to the utmost limit and do more for subaru in the early days and who would be very hard to beat today, if at all

Do you reckon that Bertie ran with a cat Bud? lol

Top man all joking aside
If only Meagher had gotten the flat4 bug
Old 22 December 2007, 11:02 PM
fabiostar
Scooby Regular

Default engines

i dont mind saying it, im an engine pervert from the first day i heard one it just gave me a moist moment on the spot. .having ridden bikes for close on 30 years the scoobs are the only engine that has a soul in them,they just sound and behave different to other engines....

stupid story but true. i went and got mine from england,drove it home and when i got there it was 05.00 in the morning.pulled into the driveway stopped the engine ,restarted it 4 times just to hear it and went for a drive to dublin and back just to hear it burble .

and you couldnt ask for a better bunch of folk to meet.

fabio
Old 23 December 2007, 12:45 PM
c0lin
Scooby Regular

just like most of the rest of ya's....i have to admit it was the sound also that caught me years ago!! Used to be out in the street kicking the ball about and hear a rumble coming up the road next to where my house is...and for years i heard them and stopped whatever it was i was doing just to turn and watch it drive by!

even to this day if im out and about and i hear one, ill still stop what im doing, nearly break my neck turnin round just to see it!
Old 23 December 2007, 01:10 PM
BrocaghJohn
Scooby Regular

Default Re Subaru

Id say theres been some kleenex and wrist work while writing all these pieces. Great thread

John
Old 23 December 2007, 01:55 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
Do you reckon that Bertie ran with a cat Bud? lol

Top man all joking aside
If only Meagher had gotten the flat4 bug

Do u really wanna start

1 - I aint ur bud
2 - The blue Book at that time did not state they had to run cats
3 - Hillie billies always think they know it all....

So let the craic begin

Last edited by gojonnyjo; 23 December 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 23 December 2007, 05:06 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by scubbay
cat Bud? lol

Hmmm......"cat Bud"....is this a new Xmas drink I should be purchasing for the feline members of the family at this time of seasonal goodwill to all men and cats ???????????
Old 23 December 2007, 06:30 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Default Just for you BUD

MERRY XMAS

Last edited by gojonnyjo; 23 December 2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 23 December 2007, 07:14 PM
bekee
Scooby Regular

hes a honda hillbilly i take it? prelude r.........lol ahhhh its 2 late for me......away 2 the land of nod....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz