MOT time

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2007, 08:52 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT time

MOT time!!!!!

Has anyone here got a decatted car - poss newage and has it recently passed an MOT here ???
Old 10 December 2007, 09:28 PM
scottstiukppp
Scooby Regular

Need to put the cat back on mate.
Old 10 December 2007, 10:00 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

i have mot'ed cars for years withouth cats, as long as the emmissions are ok at the minute you dont need a cat as they dont test for them
Old 10 December 2007, 10:48 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

cheers.... any other advice anyone
Old 11 December 2007, 12:06 AM
GT Scooby blue
Scooby Regular

Had a 2002 WRX pass its MOT no problems with a full HKS HiPower exhaust and no cats at all on it. I just bought a 4" bung for the tailpipe so that it wouldn't draw any unwanted attenton to it, and it seemed to work fine. Emissions were spot on though and his might have helped.
Old 11 December 2007, 06:57 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

how do you get your emissons right ? did you just put it in and hope for the best ??
Old 11 December 2007, 09:36 PM
j16jrf
Scooby Regular

just get them checked at a local garage first mate

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2007, 10:11 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

thanks
Old 12 December 2007, 08:21 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Fitted a new system for a customer on Friday. Passed mot on Saturday with not a cat in sight.
Old 12 December 2007, 02:06 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Had my MY00 Turbo 2000 MOT'd in Aug there with no cat. Magnex downpipe, blitz centre section and Blitz Nur Spec back box, K&N 57 Induction cone.

I was told for health and safety reasons MOT centres are not currently testing catalyic convertors. Apparently if they break up during the test the exhaust can spit out bits of ceramic material and iridium.

Get the engine good and warm and keep her idling until after the emissions test has been done. If your engine is in good health you should be fine.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:32 AM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j16jrf
i have mot'ed cars for years withouth cats, as long as the emmissions are ok at the minute you dont need a cat as they dont test for them
If the car has been fitted with a cat, as in factory standard they will fail without them, well its is only a visual test, when you get the ppp package and it takes out the second cat, ever wondered why they put the cat shields back on the decat pipe,"well any of the ones I have seen" if you have had cars pass with no cats well, you got the twit tester who dont know what hes looking for, not that its a bad thing, just tell us who and where ya get ur cars MOT. Im booking mine in there, Craigavon failed my mates for having no cat.
Old 13 December 2007, 07:15 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

As far as I remember johhny that is correct. If your car is '93 on if it left the factory with cats fitted it needs them to pass MOT.
Old 13 December 2007, 07:49 AM
davey21wagon
Scooby Regular

i know of plenty of cars going thought without cats as long as ur emissions are ok

knowing my luck come march i ll be under my car getting it ready for the re-test
Old 13 December 2007, 08:07 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gojonnyjo
If the car has been fitted with a cat, as in factory standard they will fail without them, well its is only a visual test, when you get the ppp package and it takes out the second cat, ever wondered why they put the cat shields back on the decat pipe,"well any of the ones I have seen" if you have had cars pass with no cats well, you got the twit tester who dont know what hes looking for, not that its a bad thing, just tell us who and where ya get ur cars MOT. Im booking mine in there, Craigavon failed my mates for having no cat.

I think the twit testers are in Craigavon bud as I test cars weekly without cats. Your ECU will take care of the emmision side, you just need to be a good talker for the rest.
Old 13 December 2007, 04:36 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scubbay
I think the twit testers are in Craigavon bud as I test cars weekly without cats. Your ECU will take care of the emmision side, you just need to be a good talker for the rest.
Ok Bud

I hear wot ur saying , but i had a chat wi the MOT centre BUD today about this subject, and he quotes, if you vehicle has been fitted factory fitted with a cat it must have it one for the MOT test, now BUD theres a thought, even the wrc cars, gpn have to have cats fitted, even the gt & touring cars gave to have cats fitted, why, because its law, only cars pre 93 / 94 do not have to have them.

Now he does say on most cars you cannot see the cat properly, so if the emmisions are ok they will let it pass, but he does say do not quote him on that, well I cant on my scooby, bloody great big black plastic engine cover on mine

talker, mmmmmmmmm so you saying that the MOT guys take bungs or easily have there dingle berries pulled

well it does not surprize me cuz I think that the MOT men are all wanna be mechanics who couldnt fix a blooming wheel barrow, could say that for some mechanics too mind you. Donnellys & eastwoods in particular

deffo going to that MOT centre of yours

But the point of the matter is, if you aint got a cat on you may not pass ur mot

MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YA ALL
Old 13 December 2007, 05:42 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Only givin my opinion from the experience Ive had. Obviously if you insist on asking the mot center that your going to about the need for a cat your gonna need one.
I dont "bung" anyone or was I suggesting so.
If your niave enough to believe that WRC and Touring cars actually have a cat fitted inside the housing then you'd better put yours in place for mot.
Old 13 December 2007, 06:17 PM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

Only givin my opinion from the experience Ive had. Obviously if you insist on asking the mot center that your going to about the need for a cat your gonna need one.
I dont "bung" anyone or was I suggesting so.
If your niave enough to believe that WRC and Touring cars actually have a cat fitted inside the housing then you'd better put yours in place for mot.
Hey bud

I only gave mine too, I dont insist on nothing, as for being and I quote
"If your niave enough to believe that WRC and Touring cars actually have a cat fitted inside the housing then you'd better put yours in place for mot."
they do, obviuosly you are not aware that I have been involved in motorsport for more years than I care to remember, 1 thing i have learned is not to make statements before finding out the facts, I got my statement from the FIA / MSA blue book of rules and regulations 2008.

I can give a copy of the book if you wish

The out come of my opinon is as giving good advice is you risk failing the MOT if you do not have a cat fitted, but your emissions have to be right on the button.

Last edited by gojonnyjo; 13 December 2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 13 December 2007, 08:09 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

what say we agree to differ?
Old 14 December 2007, 08:05 AM
gojonnyjo
Scooby Regular

what say we agree to differ?

they guy I chatted at the MOT centre was me inlaws nephew, dont think he would shaft me, well he better not