Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2006, 08:48 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Dublin....

Hi All,

I'm moving to Dublin (work transfer) - and have a few questions;

- Petrol: is it right that only 95 ron is available? What do people do for additives (ie; where can I buy some high grade methanol, in bulk )?

- Modifications: Swiss are really strict on mods, so my car is still running a TMIC currently. I've a strengthened EJ25 waiting to go in - original plan here in CH was for a reliable 400 hp and a completely stock look under bonnet (full details at http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...;t=000011;p=6). Now my options open up a bit....I hope! How do the Irish treat modifications? I'd now like to rotate the turbo, fit an FMIC and do some serious heat management mods under bonnet. Will I be OK? Stevie mentioned on 22B that he thought Irish government were introducing new laws to make mods illegal?

- Importing my car: I've owned my classic wagon for 5 years, but it belonged to my company. Company is now closed, and car transferred to me around 3 months ago. To escape VRT (import tax), I need to prove I've owned the car for 6 months. Anyone any experience of this? I assume they'll try and give me hassle, want to have all relevant documentation ready.

- Buying/Leasing a new car: some ex-Irish colleagues mentioned there were cheap ways to import cars from UK, but checking online all I see is that VRT is bloody expensive. Best way to go?

- Accomodation: can I get unfurnished property to rent? I'm looking for somewhere with 2 parking spaces close to public transport with good links to the financial area (IFSC). Any recommendations?

Heading over tomorrow evening - will be busy until Friday, but hope to arrange to see some properties on Saturday.

Many Thanks! Richard
Old 07 February 2006, 10:19 AM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dowser
Hi All,

I'm moving to Dublin (work transfer) - and have a few questions;

- Petrol: is it right that only 95 ron is available? What do people do for additives (ie; where can I buy some high grade methanol, in bulk )?

- Modifications: Swiss are really strict on mods, so my car is still running a TMIC currently. I've a strengthened EJ25 waiting to go in - original plan here in CH was for a reliable 400 hp and a completely stock look under bonnet (full details at http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...;t=000011;p=6). Now my options open up a bit....I hope! How do the Irish treat modifications? I'd now like to rotate the turbo, fit an FMIC and do some serious heat management mods under bonnet. Will I be OK? Stevie mentioned on 22B that he thought Irish government were introducing new laws to make mods illegal?

- Importing my car: I've owned my classic wagon for 5 years, but it belonged to my company. Company is now closed, and car transferred to me around 3 months ago. To escape VRT (import tax), I need to prove I've owned the car for 6 months. Anyone any experience of this? I assume they'll try and give me hassle, want to have all relevant documentation ready.

- Buying/Leasing a new car: some ex-Irish colleagues mentioned there were cheap ways to import cars from UK, but checking online all I see is that VRT is bloody expensive. Best way to go?

- Accomodation: can I get unfurnished property to rent? I'm looking for somewhere with 2 parking spaces close to public transport with good links to the financial area (IFSC). Any recommendations?

Heading over tomorrow evening - will be busy until Friday, but hope to arrange to see some properties on Saturday.

Many Thanks! Richard

Hey mate. Yep petrol is 95 max over here. Alot of people map there car for 95 or use octane booster.

The new laws dident come in and are scrapped for the time being. And even then you prob wouldent have to worry.

Sandyford, Dundrum, Rathfarnham , is a good area on the southside and decent bus routes and the Luas ( Mini train ). Or else along the coast you will have the dart line that will drop you right at the IFSC. Bray etc etc.

I know a guy who brought his v6 Clio over and i think there was a way around this as long as you dont sell the car on for a year or 2. Ill try find out.

Renno
Old 07 February 2006, 11:20 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Cheers Renno - good information!

Richard
Old 07 February 2006, 11:25 AM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

No prob anymore info needed just post it up here and Ill do my best.

Renno