Notices

Engine Surge !

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2001, 11:11 PM
Sul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this topic has been debated in drivetrain quite a bit, but i was wondering if anyone has experienced it who view the Ireland forum.

I was hoping the like of Macs power and any others who work at the beasts may have come across the problem. Some of the lads across the water reckon that a possum link cured it.

BTW surge problem is between 2.5 3.5 k revs held at any speed. It almost feels like fuel is not getting through and the power surges as if the pump starts to work.

Subaru have said it is a characterisitc of a tuned engine which has to meet emmission regs. and they describe it as turbo hesitation, in their white paper issued to dealers.

Because of this white paper - Eastwoods said they cant do anything because as a characteristic, there is nothing to fix.

Its just driving me mad, and spoiling the car.

Little wonder scooby doo has slipped from #1 to #43 in JD powers.

Thanks in advance

Sul

PS Thread of drivetrain link :
Old 31 May 2001, 12:38 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

This is a common one SUL. The strange thing is some cars do it and some don't.....so I don't accept the Subaru explanation. my car doesn't do it but now I'm running a LINK ECU. I have had many cars in with this problem but can't find a cure. I tried the ECU out of my car (which didn't surge) into a car with the surge problem but it still had the problem...hence eliminating the ECU. I blame the MAF sensor although some have had it changed to no avail. If I were you I would put it in writing to my dealer and to Subaru and demand something is done.

Paul.
Old 01 June 2001, 10:22 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

SUL, My car used to do this. After I fitted a 57i I never noticed the problem again. I couldn't swear that it went away, but it was quite annoying beforehand. It might be woth a try