Notices

coming to visit

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2001, 09:31 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello to anyone in Ireland me and the missis are coming to ireland on the 22nd of april touring in my scooby 5 door turbo (on honeymoon no less)
and will be spending a couple of nights in dublin then touring south first then clockwise all the way round too Belfast any advice,tips would be appreciated
ie which roads to take what are the local plod like (no i,m not a lunatic driver just enthusiastic)and where they are most active
Old 29 March 2001, 10:35 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt, congrats on receiving your official ball and chain We had a couple from the states on honeymoon here last month also a scoobynetter. Macs Power took them out for a spin in his wild 5 door and scared the **** out of them. Unfortunately you will be 2 days late for our track day in Mondello park, pity. The Wicklow area has some great road and fantastic scenery and would be worth a look. As for the plod, well, some are fine but others are out there to stop us hardened criminals who drive their Scoobies well below their potential. They hide in bushes, in the back of green and white high roof transit vans with cameras, behind road signs with hairdryers just in case you forgot to dry after your shower and cunningly enough inside little grey boxes mounted on poles. Eventually they will send you a lovely photo of your car, albeit the rear, and then try to extort ridiculous amounts of money from you. Any way, if you haven't driven on Irish roads before, ha ha, BRING A GUN because you will need to wave it out your window to get the a55h0les in front of you doing 40 mph in the overtaking lane to move out of your way. By the way I also have a 5 door turbo,do you have any modifications.

Hope you both have a great time.

Cheers
Alan
Old 30 March 2001, 07:52 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

hi Scruff
just a quick note or i,ll be late for work
no mods as such (does a 6 disc cd changer count ) on my 5 door might think about it after warranty runs out
Its a bit off a work horse as i,m in the building trade
how do plod react to radar detectors as i have one hanging from my rear view mirror

cheers
p.s sounds like they drive the same way in ireland as over here
Old 30 March 2001, 10:26 AM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

They don't take any prisoners if they catch you with a Radar detector. If you get caught with it and because you are non resident it could mean a trip to the station to prove where you live etc...

Just be careful
Old 30 March 2001, 04:49 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Matt
I'm sorry to say this... but at the present moment in time the death penalty applies in Ireland to anyone caught with a radar detector
Be careful!
But enjoy yerself too

Niall
Ps ...Let me know if you'll be around Limerick
I'll keep an eye out for you
Old 30 March 2001, 07:56 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

guys,
This is edited from an article in last weeks SUNDAY TIMES entitled 'Cross-border drivers dodge speeding fines' which I take will cover English drivers etc.. also.
'Thousands of NI drivers are going unpunished for driving offences in the Republic because the gardai cannot force them to pay fines...The RUC also has to bin hundreds of speeding tickets annually because they cannot pursue drivers from the Republic for the fines..British and Irish governments are now discussing legislation that will allow police forces to impose fines and points to drivers on both sides of the border.'The RUC have no legislation for recovering monies from a southern registered car caught speeding.Some southern drivers stopped by the RUC are repremanded or in extreme cases arrested and released on bail to appear in court later but virtually no southern driver turns up ,and there is no legislation to compel them to do so'. The Gardai meanwhile said that half the Northern drivers pay on the spot fines.'The rest of the time there is not much that we can do'.
Blimey,that was a mouthful!.A system is planned for next year and is likely to be designed on an All-Ireland basis.

Old 31 March 2001, 12:46 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I was given an on the spot fine for speeding in the Republic . The guard must have read my mind for he said " If you're thinking about not paying this your details will be stored on computer and if you're stopped by any of my collegues and they run a check on your vehicle you will be arrested and spend a night in a cell " . As I am in the south quite often I didn't take a risk and I paid the fine . I have heard since about someone getting arrested and spending the weekend in a cell with a suspected murderer after getting pulled for speeding .
The previous owner of the vehicle had an unpaid fine . So be warned .