Notices

Ecu tuners in N. Ireland

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 09:27 PM
David L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Does anyone know of tuners in N. Ireland who tune/modify the ECU and what exactly do they do? I have heard of Mckinstry and triple 7. I know Sunday driver had his boost increased to 1 bar. But how is this done. I thought the standard ECU can't be programmed but I must be wrong. How do they increase the boost and make sure the car doesn't run lean at the top end. Does anyone out there know?

David L
Old 11 March 2001, 09:54 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Mac, where are you. I think Paul may be able to explain. He has my car modified to run at 1.2 bar at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Scruff (edited 11 March 2001).]
Old 11 March 2001, 10:03 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

The only person I can think of is Ian Bishop, Bishop motorsport 01238 541511 (precode change)
He is a top fella used to work with TTE and still does some work with prodrive, he may be too full on for a road car!
You can increase boost with a bleed valve, but this doesn't alter ECU, safe enough I think if used for minor change, but will run lean if upped too much.
Car Boy in Dargan Industrial Estate can do this for you I called in for a look around and a chat but and wasn't too impressed their answer to everything was MORE BOOST! personally if I was getting a new ECU I would head for England and get a unichip or link and make a long weekend of it!
Give Ian a call he really is a good bloke, he was the only person that could sort out a very annoying problem with my RB5
Andy
Old 12 March 2001, 01:15 AM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Hi David,

Your right in saying that the standard ecu is not programmable. Boost can be increased slightly if it is found to be lower than normal. The standard ecu cuts boost at about 1.0 bar but this varies from car to car. If your car is running .9 bar then it is quite easy to up the boost to 1.0 bar using a bleed valve or other methods that will remain a trade secret for now (I don't want guys blowing up their engines tinkering around on my advice)

The standard ecu can easily handle 1.2 bar and supply enough fuel for this purpose. If you want a real increase in boost then you have to override the standard boost protection which IMO is dangerous just in case a pipe comes off or something goes wrong. We have designed a chip for this purpose. It doesn't override boost protection but increases the upper boost limit to whatever we want ...eg 1.3 bar. We then turn up the boost to say 1.15 leaving you with protection still in place.

If you want an ecu change then motec is available from des moore in NI or McKinstry as you mentioned but is very expensive. LINK is a cheaper option but will still cost you the guts of £1500 sterling.

Hope this helps. Mail me off list if you want any more help.

Paul.
Old 12 March 2001, 06:55 PM
David L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info lads

David L