Moving to Limerick...and insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2004, 04:11 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Guys

Wonder if you can help me out here... I am moving to Limerick in 2 weeks time and I am finding it tough to find many insurance companies that will touch a scoobie.

The only quote I have managed is with Quinn-Direct, they have quoted 2500 euro which is not too bad as I only have 1yr NCB.

I have tried Hibernian, FBD, and a broker but they dont want to know.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Adam

Any suggestions on some other companies i could try?
Old 21 January 2004, 05:58 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hi

My quinn direct quote is now fallen through, apparently even though they have quoted me over the web and given me a ref number etc when i call them about it, they tell me they cannot insure me due to my age.. iam 25.

I am getting really desperate, any ideas? PLEASE!

Adam
Old 21 January 2004, 08:49 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

Question

Now this is strange....After thinking about what the woman on the phone said i decided it not make a lot of sense considering they will quote me over the web...so i went back on to the website and got a new quote which was even cheaper than the original so have paid for it there and then.

Now iam no expert but surely this means they now must legally cover me?
Old 21 January 2004, 09:40 PM
brocks
Scooby Regular

I live in N Ireland and Quinn insure up here too. However I have heard a lot of rumours about them cancelling policies for no reason and you have to declare this to any other insurers for up yo 5 years.They are very competitive but I would think about getting other quotes and changing if poss.Don't want to put you off too much but try Prestiege as I believe they cover Eire and are fairly competitive. Also Endsleigh, but again with living up here dont know that much about southern cover.hope this makes sense.
Let us know how you get on and dont lose heart!!!
Old 22 January 2004, 12:24 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Brocks

I called quinn this morning just to check that they had received my payment etc. I was put on hold straight away for about 10-15mins and i thought, here we go....she is going to tell me they cannot proceed...but to my suprise there was no issue at all.. I think the first woman i spoke too just could not be ar$ed...

cheers
adam
Old 25 January 2004, 02:55 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how come your moving to limerick if you dont mind me asking ?

Niall
Old 26 January 2004, 02:08 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

Now to the best of my knowledge if you are quoted in Ireland by an insurance company then they are obliged by law to honour the quote assumming of course all the information given by you at the time of the quotation was correct and I assume you gave them you age or your date of birth because that's one of the first questions they ask.
I'm with quinn-direct and really they are about the only crowd around with reasonable prices, however Hiberian operate a discount scheme if you complete an advanced driving course (30% off). But check with them first and get it in writing that they'll cover you car. Also quinn operate a 350 euro excess on all there policies.
Sorry to tell you but a 25 year old in Ireland driving a scooby is not what insurance companies like. Fancy changing to a '89 nissan micra? Thought not. I told quin that my car was a AWD 2.0 Turbo Subaru Impreza petrol. Now I didn't lie but I left out the wrx end of it. Now at the end of the day there's not much of a difference.

I didn't see my premium drop until I went over 30 and as soon as I did they dropped almost 1000 euro. One thing is for sure insurance is very expensive here. Check McCarthy brokers on 1890279999 or Marsh broker on 00353214907400.
Best of luck
Murfs

Trending Topics

Old 26 January 2004, 02:10 PM
murfs
Scooby Regular

P.S

Take a bullet proof jacket to Limerick, it's worse than Bagdad.
Old 26 January 2004, 08:27 PM
anoble1
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Murfs, Yes I have my flak jacket packed..I am really hoping i wont need it!

NAF - To answer your question, why am i moving to limerick? To be honest, ive got a good opportunity with a company there, my girlfriend is from donegal and we have been wanting to move back for a while..
Old 27 January 2004, 07:02 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool
Hope it all goes well for the 2 of ya
Dont believe all you hear about Limerick
Its a really nice City with some very nice people
Just seems to get a lot of bad press
IMHO Cork or Dublin are just as bad ... you just dont hear about stuff happenin there as much