Notices

STi 5/STi 6 Type R Prices

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2002, 11:38 PM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I currently have a MY98 UK Impreza Turbo and I am considering replacing it with either an STi 5 or 6 Type R (1999 or 2000).

Does anyone know what I would expect to pay for either of these cars? I know the STi 6 would probably be a fair bit more expensive than the STi 5 as they are less common.

Condition would be an all important factor and I would prefer to buy one that just came in from Japan becuase I fear that buying one that was around for a while could spell trouble e.g. 95 RON and not SUL being used, car being thrashed, not properly maintained etc!

Also as I live in the Republic, I have the little problem of paying the VRT (import duty) to the customs to get the car registered

Any advice appreciated

Gavin G
Old 18 September 2002, 09:53 AM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

bttt
Old 19 September 2002, 08:27 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Gavin, Much will depend on the mileage and condition. For an Sti 5 Type R in excellent condition/low miles you are looking at anything between £14-16,000 (pounds). For an Sti 6 you can add £1,000-1500 to that. It is certainly worth looking at cars that have already been imported by a reputable dealer and been taxed/SVA etc. However, there are cars around that have been looked after with a decent history, but you might have to travel (over to England) to see more of them. Type R's are pretty rare and the 'standard' 4 door Sti is more plentiful.
A note of caution is over insurance costs here (North and South) which are a real problem. Being a performance, limited number around, imported model means most of the insurance companies in Ireland will not quote period. Those that do will make you pay through your nose and limit use. This is part of the reason why these cars are comparatively cheap as they are hard to sell for road use anyway. If you do end up with a good one you will not regret it. Along with the 22b they are still the business for looks and performance.
Old 20 September 2002, 06:06 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Wherever you buy it, get a purchase receipt for a lot lot less...