Notices

Insurance Gone Daft

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2002, 08:46 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

What is going on in this country? Renewing insurance on an STI 5 Type R is now going to cost me over £2 grand fully comp with Endsleigh. As I had a claim for £1200 on another car (supposedly bonus protected) 3 years ago Quinn direct will not even give me a quote: No claims in the last 5 years for new business apparently. The only other company that I am aware of that will quote on imports here in the north is Admiral/Elephant. As I am an old b-----d at 44 it cant be age. Can anyone give me any tips or advice as Ive gotta be able to get it down or at least try as I will go broke before I lose the car!
Old 19 June 2002, 09:01 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

There are rumours about at the moment that Quinns are in sh!te street moneywise! Rumours I must add.
Mine went up from £900 to £1200 last year, had a claim but supposed protected NC with Quinns. In all honesty I'll "pull the plug" on Scooby ownership before I'll pay £2K for insurance.
Sorry no tips for you, just a rant.
Old 19 June 2002, 09:27 PM
Sloaner
Scooby Regular

I`m 27 and just renewed my policy for £1500 Bit on the expensive side but as long as you get value for money - if you know what I mean :-)

What is your annual mileage? If you say less than 7K it brings your premium way down. This may cause slight problems if you have a smash and the assessors get to the car before you can give it a hair cut. When was the last time your insurance company asked for the mileage on your car. I have never been asked. Might be worth a try if your prepared to `bend` the rules.

I have my mum on my insurance - saves me £100. She has yet to get her hands on the keys though.

Im with Admiral online who are quite good. I think elephant are an unbralla comany and work out a few pounds cheaper.

Hope this helps to ease the pain which is inflicted on us all anually.
Old 20 June 2002, 12:05 AM
mrp
Scooby Regular

Adelaide Ins in Belfast used to cover imports (when I had a Celica) don't know if they still do or if they'll cover a scooby. Maybe worth a try. It would be interesting to know if a uk scooby would be much cheaper to cover than your type R.

Martin
Old 20 June 2002, 09:59 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

No, I'm afraid its the insurance companies over here. In general they will now not touch 'performance' imports and she is listed group 20 POA. Only Quinn (full no claims, clean licence and not keen on new business), Endsleigh (good, but getting seriously dear) and Admiral/Elephant (same crew and I'm waiting for a quote) do to my knowledge on the open insurance market. The moral of the story is to have a UK spec Scooby. The costs are still a rip off compared with across the water, but definitely cheaper and much wider choice. The car is too much fun and I'll not readily give her up. Just p---ed off. Thanks for the sympathy any way guys.
Old 20 June 2002, 10:11 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

I reckon I got rid of my jap import just in time (couple of years ago) when I started having trouble getting cover (lost a heap though as nobody wanted it due to the insurance problems). Convinced me to stay away from jap imports and stick with a uk car. Pity as there are some cracking versions out there, like your type R. Hope you get sorted soon.
Old 09 August 2002, 01:32 PM
Derek M
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Just for some information I am insuring a uk MY99 Scooby in the UK for £1200. I know what insurance is like in northern Ireland cause thats where I come from just moved over here about 9 months ago. I would hate to think what it would cost me to insure back home as I am 25 and got 9 points on my licence just over 3 years ago.

My advice is move to the mainland if you like scoobies.

Mine is still not real cheap but hope to get it down a good bit this year.

Derek