Notices
International International Meetings & Events

SIDC Trip to the Isle of Man

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2001, 12:19 PM
JohnS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The SIDC have organised a fantastic birthday celebration trip to the Isle of Man in Spetember, to celebrate the club's 5th birthday.

It will be a fantastic event, and certainly The event of the year

5 days on the Island (arrive Thursday, depart Monday), staying in top quality hotels (Hilton or Mount Murray), most meals, including welcome reception, track event or treasure hunt, BBQ/party evening, TT circuit followed by buffet lunch, grand gala dinner (black tie preferred) all organised and included in the price.

The trip will include a track day at one of the airfield circuit tracks on the Island, at a mere £50 extra per car (no additional fees for extra/shared drivers), or an organised treasure hunt around the Island if a track event isn't your thing.

They can also signpost the full TT circuit with club logos for us (remember there are no speed limits on the Island once you are out of the built up areas!), so we don’t get lost whilst exploring.

There are a number of free afternoons/evenings on the Island, where we can explore the Island, or do organised activities such as golf (6 full size courses), scuba diving, sea trips (seals/basking sharks etc), horse riding, mountain biking, cycling, hillwalking, whatever.... These activities can be organised individually, or in groups. We may even have smoe prizes/trophies for the winner of a golf tournament for example, as well as best car etc.

But the best bit is:

On the Sunday, they will close the mountain section of the TT circuit (around 8Km) for our exclusive use, so there are no cars coming in the opposite direction.

The price has been confirmed at a mere £333 per person (based on two sharing a car/room), which includes all ferries, hotel accommodation, most meals, info packs etc. The only things you need pay extra for are fuel and drinks. We would be looking at a group of around 80 – 100 cars

They can cope with up to 250 cars easily (the record is 252 by bentely, but I don't think we'll match that!)

People can travel from either Liverpool or Heysham, and also from Dublin/Belfast in Ireland as well.

The date has been confirmed as 12th - 16th September (5 days, 4 nights).

If anyone is interested, can they please let me know, and I'll add your names to an already growing list (we have about 50 people already on the mailing list already!!!)

Cheers

John

[Edited by JohnS - 3/19/2002 5:15:04 PM]
Old 20 December 2001, 01:07 PM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

John,

Yes, Yes, Yes, but PLEASE is there any chance of making it earlier in the year.

There is a very distinct possibility (ie 99%) that I will be returning to Oz for good at the end of June and this is an opportunity that is just too good to miss.

Andrew.
Old 20 December 2001, 01:32 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

The only probs I can see are the International Rally due to run Aug/Sept...dates TBA and the cost of SUL..if u can get it
Point to note - although there are "derestriction" speed limits outside the towns and villages, technically if u are going too quick for PC Plod's fancy then they can still have u...they call it dangerous driving...
The Manx is a blast - I have been there twice now (for the rally) and the best road has gotta be Tholt-y-Will downhill in the dark - yeehah
I will confirm nearer the time (rally and 'ring trip allowing)

[Edited by Richard Askew - 12/20/2001 2:06:30 PM]
Old 20 December 2001, 01:34 PM
glen4
Scooby Regular

last time I went to the TT, the course was "only" 37.75 miles long, I wonder where they've found those extra 14 miles !!!
Also there are speed limits in towns, villages etc and every year I go over they seem to "grow" to take in more of the unlimited sections.
It is a superb place though, I intend to take my scoob over for the TT next year (with my supermoto WR 426 on the trailer)

glen
Old 20 December 2001, 01:45 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds like fun
Old 20 December 2001, 01:53 PM
JohnS

Richard,

the dates chosen will not coincide with anything else happening on the Island

Andrew - can't make it any earlier I'm afraid, as all the earlier weekends have been booked by other owners clubs (Porsche, bently, Jaguar, TVR etc).

SUL prices will probably still be cheaper that the Scottish Highlands
Old 20 December 2001, 02:08 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Groovy Jon add my name as a provisional...£400 quid for a short break on the Manx is CHEAP...
ps what happens when I sell the scoob..even though I'll probably still be in the SIDC? Can I bring the new weapon along?
Old 20 December 2001, 04:25 PM
JohnS

Richard,

I don't think it will be any problems bringing along the weapon of your choice, as long as it has 4 wheels
Old 20 December 2001, 06:58 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

I might be interested (seems like a bargain) but are there any insurance issues (track-day cover, non-mainland driving etc.) that we need to sort out first??? And who is organising it on the "island" side (closing roads seems quite serious)?

Also, where are the UK-based ferries from?

mb
Old 20 December 2001, 07:02 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Oh, and do they sell Shell Optimax??

mb
Old 20 December 2001, 08:03 PM
JohnS

Thumbs up

I'm not sure about Optimax, but I have been reliably informed that the Shell petrol station in Douglas sells super, as the owner has a Type-R

There are also a few other garages on the Island which sell it, as there are apparently a large number of WRXs (including 22Bs) on the Island.

The ports from the UK are in Liverpool, and some place in Wales which begins with the letter H (name escapes me at the moment, but it should be easy enough to find it).

Our contact on the Island is the guy who organises all these trips for the other car clubs. He sorts everything out with the government (need special permission to close the road), local council, tourist agency, hotels, ferry company etc. He will also handle all the bookings and associated hassles, and all we need to do (once we get some dates confirmed), is to make our reservation directly with him, copied to myself and then turn up at the right time and thoroughly enjoy yourselves for the whole weekend.

As well as driving around the Island and other touristy stuff which will be arranged, there are a number of other activities which can also be arranged. Partners are especially welcome, and if they aren't interested in the driving/touring side of things, can arrange lots of suitable social activities (including shopping no doubt!).

I'm up to about 20 - 25 people so far who have expressed an interest in going (including about 15 from Scotland and an Elise or two ), so I feel this is going to be a massively enjoyable event.

The chap who is organising things from the island side, is sending me through an itnerary prepared for another car club (Jaguar I think) who are going a couple of months before us, and I'll post up more info once I get it.

Cheers

John
Old 20 December 2001, 08:36 PM
Rocket
Scooby Newbie

JohnS

Optimax is not here yet but SUL is available around the Island.

When it does become available Richard who runs the Shell forecourt you refered to tells me he will have it.

There are many organised trips to the Island each year and some have track days at Jurby airfield which are organised by Duke Video. Peter Duke is a fellow 22b owner and his car must have the most track time of any 22b.

One word of caution though. The men in blue will know your coming and take a very dim view on speeding in designated limits. I believe the Porsche Club will testify to this.

Ron
Old 20 December 2001, 09:57 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jock

Count me in

DJ
Old 21 December 2001, 06:55 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

The ferry also runs from Heysham in lancashire, not Wales
Old 21 December 2001, 08:05 AM
JohnS

Ron,

many thanks for the additional info.

I am well aware that our arrival will be known by the boys in blue, and everyone going will be under strict instructions to stick rigidly to all posted speed limits, and to drive with respect for residents and other road users.

Anyone not respecting these simple rules, or behaving like a fool and ruining the weekend for everyone else will have a lot of angry people to answer to (with no-where to hide!).

I am confident that we won't have any such problems though, and it will be one of the best weekends on next years calendar
Old 21 December 2001, 07:53 PM
Rocket
Scooby Newbie

JohnS

A major topic of conversation on the Island between lots of car/bike enthusiasts is when not if they will impose an overall speed limit. I have some friends with some seriously fast cars and bikes who say they will get rid of their toys when it happens. As you said there is no place to hide on a small island. I would find it difficult to keep my 22b to 60.

It is generally believed that the only thing stopping it at the moment is the TT bike festival, this event brings in a lot of visitors and revenue each year. An overall limit would definately keep away a lot of bikers who only come because they get the chance to ride their bikes at over 150 on the mountain road (some way over 150) without loosing their licence.

So currently we are enjoying it while it lasts. I hope your trip is well supported, they WILL enjoy themselves.

Ron

Old 03 January 2002, 07:34 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Tempted

JIM
Old 04 January 2002, 12:01 PM
JohnS

Thumbs up

Things are progressing behind the scenes rather nicely now

I'll hopefully have some more info to pass onto everyone in a few weeks time, once a few more things are in place.

Interest has been very good so far, and we are up to about 30 cars already who have expressed an interest.

I'm hoping to take a trip to the IOM this month to sort out a few more things, so might be able to meet up with some of the resident Scooby owners on the Island

John
Old 04 January 2002, 02:14 PM
Nick B
Scooby Regular

Talking

John,
Count me in - sounds like loads of fun. Any news on which date yet?
Old 04 January 2002, 02:42 PM
JohnS

Nick,

we have a couple of possible dates in September, and it's one of the things I hope to finalise shortly. It's all to do with what dates the best deals on ferry prices, hotel accommodation, along with availability on those dates.

We should have full details available by the end of January at the latest.

John
Old 07 January 2002, 11:06 PM
cpofwales
Scooby Regular

Johns, I would love to come on this weekend, could you please put me down for a spot.

regards,

ceri
Old 08 January 2002, 09:38 AM
JohnS

I'm keeping a list of e-mail addresses for those interested in taking part.

I've also set-up a mailing list which those interested in going can subscribe to. It will be very low bandwidth (probably a couple of messages per month), and used to inform everyone of things as and when I know more info. If you are interested in subscribing, then simply send me an e-mail and I'll send you out an invite

John
Old 09 January 2002, 08:11 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
John,
Iam also interested
Tony
Old 10 January 2002, 04:31 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Can't miss this one John.....do you want my ard earned now
I'm in please.
Old 10 January 2002, 06:18 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Smile

Mellow,

i hope that you will be keeping well away from "small drinks" this time

mb
Old 10 January 2002, 08:53 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Mmmmm.......... yes....quite......BUT NOT THE LAYDEEZ
Old 11 January 2002, 08:58 AM
JohnS

Smile

Mellow - no cash required yet, as we haven't got the details finalised yet. I'll let you all know the details of the package once we have the itenerary together (end January). At the moment, even the date hasn't been finalised, as we are working out which is best regarding hotel availability, rates etc.

John
Old 17 January 2002, 12:01 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Johns

Hi you got any details through yet?

I would like to come depending on the time and money involved.

JIM
Old 17 January 2002, 12:08 PM
JohnS

Jimi,

we hope to have all the details finalised by the end of January. We are aiming to keep costs below £400 for a 5 day trip (leave Thursday, come back Monday), including ferry travel, hotel accommodation, most meals and the various events we are planning.

There will be a supplement for those taking their cars on the airfield track event, as we understand not everyone will want to do this, and it would be unfair to share the costs between everyone going on the trip. We'll sort out another event (like a Treasure Hunt) for those not going to the track
Old 04 February 2002, 12:45 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds wicked. Please stick me on the list

M

Quick Reply: SIDC Trip to the Isle of Man