Nurburgring questions for those who have

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2005, 04:46 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nurburgring questions for those who have

taken their's on the circuit.

Going there in 2 weeks. Can you advise what tyre pressures you set yours to, if any change at all. I've done it before in other cars but never my own and thus am slightly more 'nervous' given any off will cost big bucks!

Thanks for tips

Andy
Old 25 July 2005, 08:34 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i run same pressures as road as first time and was not pushing on too much-seemed fine to me,join northloop.co.uk for ringchat
martin
Old 25 July 2005, 09:02 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

36PSi and as above come join www.northloop.co.uk and we will help all we can.

Gary
Old 25 July 2005, 11:32 PM
luketurb
Scooby Regular

i went in march with mine, ran as i did on normal roads, it didnt half do me proud, never missed a beat and has ran perfect ever since,
but all ill say is be bloody careful as pushin mine round a track so hard made my conti's give up a lil early and scared me a fair bit!!
Old 25 July 2005, 11:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

Gary
Was that in an Impreza Gary, or on a 205? If it was an Impreza, what wheel and tyre combination (size)?

Simon
Old 26 July 2005, 01:28 AM
DevilHimSelf
Scooby Regular

Gary

Gary

Most of the links are dead
Old 26 July 2005, 07:06 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

yep, ran my 225/45/17 at 36 aswell, and they lasted well. My mate didn't put as much in his and has worn the writing of the outside walls on his brand new F1's!!

Last edited by austen_wrx; 26 July 2005 at 07:12 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 26 July 2005, 09:01 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DevilHimSelf
Gary

Most of the links are dead
Have a look at the bbs m8. The video's have download probs at the moment due to a 'funny' service provider
Old 26 July 2005, 10:09 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

As said the vids are down at the moment but there is a link on the front page to the forum. Join that and chat till your hearts content.

I run 36 PSI hot on my 17's running Dunlop SP Sport Race tyres.

I run 32 cold on my pug using Yoko A539 comedy tyres

Gary
Old 26 July 2005, 01:11 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps

Andy
Old 05 August 2005, 01:19 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
yep, ran my 225/45/17 at 36 aswell, and they lasted well. My mate didn't put as much in his and has worn the writing of the outside walls on his brand new F1's!!

Looks EXACTLY how my F1's look after a mere 25 laps.

soft tyre walls ruin what is otherwise a very good tyre - as a road tyre. I need R-rated rubber now as road tyres aren't doing the business anymore.
Old 05 August 2005, 10:21 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Looks EXACTLY how my F1's look after a mere 25 laps.

soft tyre walls ruin what is otherwise a very good tyre - as a road tyre. I need R-rated rubber now as road tyres aren't doing the business anymore.
What???

You dont need R rated rubber. R rated rubber is for when you think your at the limit of what you have and want to spend large amounts of money on a couple of seconds a lap.

Road tyres arent doing the business anymore. Listen to yourself winkle

Video's are back up and running again by the way.

Gary
Old 07 August 2005, 09:28 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

What???

You dont need R rated rubber. R rated rubber is for when you think your at the limit of what you have and want to spend large amounts of money on a couple of seconds a lap.

Road tyres arent doing the business anymore. Listen to yourself winkle

Video's are back up and running again by the way.

Gary

Those F1's aren't doing it anymore for me. After going out in a GTi-6 with A048's the difference is massive. After 4 trips the time has come now. Road tyres are exactly that - road.

Tyres are the best modification you can do on a track motor (coupled with suspension and brakes) - so with that said I know where my money will be going!!

It's good to drive to Nurburg on road tyres, put on the semi-slicks when you're there. That way you have 8 wheels/tyres so a puncture won't f$ck up the trip. You'll be quicker, safer (imo after F1's got so hot they seemed to just die). Ideal really.

I don't understand anybody not agreeing they are an excellent idea.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 07 August 2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08 August 2005, 07:53 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Fellas

Have just returned from my weekend at the 'ring and everything thatw as said was true. I was there Saturday with a group of mates (we were on a stag-do) and had a total blast. It is incredibly - although I have been driven around before, doing it yourself is out of this world. There were 5 cars - 4 Elise's and my Scoob and we all had a totally amazing time. It's as much realising both how good you are and how crap you are - how other cars that should be faster are not, and how seemingly innocent cars (Golf GL etc) are just stunning. There was Viper that came past so fooking fast I almost wanted to clap. I had a smoking front right disk every time I finsihed a lap, and the brakes faded halfway through my first lap but after that were great throughout, and I got some wicked 4 wheel drifts without meaning to.

I loved it and am still buzzing. And I've done plenty of racing on circuits in the past but this is NOT a track day - this is like nothing else.

Awesome....
Old 08 August 2005, 08:30 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Those F1's aren't doing it anymore for me. After going out in a GTi-6 with A048's the difference is massive. After 4 trips the time has come now. Road tyres are exactly that - road.

Tyres are the best modification you can do on a track motor (coupled with suspension and brakes) - so with that said I know where my money will be going!!

It's good to drive to Nurburg on road tyres, put on the semi-slicks when you're there. That way you have 8 wheels/tyres so a puncture won't f$ck up the trip. You'll be quicker, safer (imo after F1's got so hot they seemed to just die). Ideal really.

I don't understand anybody not agreeing they are an excellent idea.

Just step back for a minute and listen to yourself........

You have done two trips in the car, you're no-where near its full potential on road tyres and yet they just aren't doing it for you anymore?

Its not that I dont think R rated tyres are a good idea because they are. Its more the comment ''street tyres aren't doing it for me anymore'' which is ****.

Gary
Old 08 August 2005, 08:50 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Just step back for a minute and listen to yourself........

You have done two trips in the car, you're no-where near its full potential on road tyres and yet they just aren't doing it for you anymore?

Its not that I dont think R rated tyres are a good idea because they are. Its more the comment ''street tyres aren't doing it for me anymore'' which is ****.

Gary
After 3/4 of a lap they seem to just die off badly, especially when it's very hot. Might be that the F1 isn't as good as other road tyres (P-Zero/Pilot etc) - but if I'm buying more I see no point in wasting further money.

Buy cheap, buy twice - and all that.
Old 08 August 2005, 09:10 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I like the buy cheap buy twice analogy but FWD cars eat tyres like no ones business, and at £40 per tyre against £140 per tyre, and to still ony manage similar laps, it's not quite the same.
Old 08 August 2005, 09:34 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

After 3/4 of a lap they seem to just die off badly, especially when it's very hot. Might be that the F1 isn't as good as other road tyres (P-Zero/Pilot etc) - but if I'm buying more I see no point in wasting further money.

Buy cheap, buy twice - and all that.

Explain what you mean by die off badly?

I managed about 70 laps plus Bedford using my cheap crappy A539's. I think its fair to say a more aggresive person with tyres than me you will not find. Its my stooopid driving style dont you know. At the end of their effective life, which is about now they start to feel a little more unstable and previously flat corners are now a little more hairy. Im not convinced they will have gone off after 3/4 of a lap.

Sounds to me like you have done a lap with someone using those tyres and now you must have them.....Nothing wrong with that but not such a budget car as previously suspected

Gary
Old 08 August 2005, 09:52 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I like the buy cheap buy twice analogy but FWD cars eat tyres like no ones business, and at £40 per tyre against £140 per tyre, and to still ony manage similar laps, it's not quite the same.
Those A048's are £84 each.
Old 08 August 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Explain what you mean by die off badly?

I managed about 70 laps plus Bedford using my cheap crappy A539's. I think its fair to say a more aggresive person with tyres than me you will not find. Its my stooopid driving style dont you know. At the end of their effective life, which is about now they start to feel a little more unstable and previously flat corners are now a little more hairy. Im not convinced they will have gone off after 3/4 of a lap.

Sounds to me like you have done a lap with someone using those tyres and now you must have them.....Nothing wrong with that but not such a budget car as previously suspected

Gary
When it's hot they become poor, very slippy, unpredictable. Tried changing pressures etc. They seem to have a really soft wall, after speaking to others (who have F1's) on the last trip that seems to be the concensus - and looking at the fact the word Goodyear was almost gone on mine, and on there cars it's proof enough!! See post above for evidence of this.

Other road tyres may be better suited - but I can get proper track tyres which are massively better.

After 45 laps the fronts are well and truly dead. Huuuuge chunks missing, as said maybe the yoko's you have are better suited - but I see no point in spending £50 a corner for road tyres when I can get A048's for 80 quid each. That way I have the 2 sets of wheels so all bases are covered. Road for road, track for track.

As for going in a car with them fitted - you're spot on Gary. They are excellent, make a huge difference and yep - I want some. It's a better mod than any pointless 5bhp gain with stupid exhausts etc.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 08 August 2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08 August 2005, 10:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

When it's hot they become poor, very slippy, unpredictable. Tried changing pressures etc. They seem to have a really soft wall, after speaking to others (who have F1's) on the last trip that seems to be the concensus - and looking at the fact the word Goodyear was almost gone on mine, and on there cars it's proof enough!! See post above for evidence of this.

Other road tyres may be better suited - but I can get proper track tyres which are massively better.

After 45 laps the fronts are well and truly dead. Huuuuge chunks missing, as said maybe the yoko's you have are better suited - but I see no point in spending £50 a corner for road tyres when I can get A048's for 80 quid each. That way I have the 2 sets of wheels so all bases are covered. Road for road, track for track.

As for going in a car with them fitted - you're spot on Gary. They are excellent, make a huge difference and yep - I want some. It's a better mod than any pointless 5bhp gain with stupid exhausts etc.
Be careful which ones you buy. Some of these tyres go off quickly. There are threads around detailing it.

Another £320 spent ........ plus wheels of course

Gary
Old 08 August 2005, 10:28 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Be careful which ones you buy. Some of these tyres go off quickly. There are threads around detailing it.

Another £320 spent ........ plus wheels of course

Gary
Looking at the Toyo variants as well but was warned off by everyone who tried them - seems the A048's do the trick. 2 Trackdays and 40 or so laps of the Ring sounds good to me.

Expense? Yes, but in this case it's to make it better - not just to fix it. It's all optional and I'm enjoying, so far, every penny I've spent. It's all gone into improvong the car.

I love my '6 !!
Old 08 August 2005, 10:31 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

That money would be better spent putting a cage into it.
Old 08 August 2005, 10:41 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

That money would be better spent putting a cage into it.
Cage already sorted.

£150 and I'm fitting it with a mate on the 20th of the month. Car is fully stripped and ready for this.

Sparco cage in white (looks quite cool). Full cage with door bars and rear diagonal bar. Once fitted, new harnesses to go in as the ones I have a are crap. Other bits and bobs over the coming weeks.
Old 08 August 2005, 02:12 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Originally Posted by mightyyid
There was Viper that came past so fooking fast I almost wanted to clap.
LOL, I think someone's a little excited
Old 08 August 2005, 03:21 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Is the Viper that quick Karl? I have been overtaken by it in the pug but thats not really hard on a long uphill slog. Not had the oppurtunity to try and tuck in behind through wipperman etc.
Old 08 August 2005, 03:44 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I was a passenger in a certain yellow GT3 following that and the M4 - and they were both slightly pulling away.
Old 09 August 2005, 08:14 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

It depends who is driving it, I've had it follow me through Hohe Acht and Wipperman, then let it through before Eschbach and still been nearly up it's **** at Galgenkopf, the driver of it gave me a thumbs up for that I think secretly he was a little peeved
Old 09 August 2005, 10:30 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Karl 227
It depends who is driving it, I've had it follow me through Hohe Acht and Wipperman, then let it through before Eschbach and still been nearly up it's **** at Galgenkopf, the driver of it gave me a thumbs up for that I think secretly he was a little peeved

If i'd have been the passenger who payed nearly 300 euros for the lap i'd have asked for a refund

Gary
Old 09 August 2005, 10:44 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

I only charged a hundred that time

Quick Reply: Nurburgring questions for those who have