Notices
International International Meetings & Events

The benefits of motoring in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2003, 01:27 PM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I prefer living in Germany instead of the UK, esepcially when it comes to motoring, yes, generally there are somethings I miss, but you get used to it, but there's a lotta things I don't miss.

1. Most things in Germany are cheaper than the UK, almost Euro for pounds in most cases, including services and part for scoobs.

2. There aren't so many scoobs here either, so if you have one then it really turns heads. Everyday I get people on the street or in their cars pointing and staring. The other day, as I parked up, a copper came up to me (I naturally **** myself thinking I'd done something wrong) and he asked me about the car. They are becoming very common in the UK and every coppers priority to stop one speeding, I know cos my best mates a copper.

3. Car crime - I can leave my scoob parked in a street unlocked with a laptop on the back seat and come back the next day and it would still be there (I accidently did this), it would be gone before my back was turned in the UK. Also kids don't scratch, dent and throw stuff at your car, just for a laugh. Also the STI8 doesn't require supper dooper alarms, imobiliser and trackers before you can get it insured.

4. You can drive as fast as you like on many Autobahns, I generally drive above 100 and regularly get up to 130/140+. But generally everyone drives much faster here on the motorways anyway.

5. Petrol is still cheaper than the UK and SUL at 97/98 RON is available at every garage regardless of brand and is cheaper than 95 RON in the UK, also Shell are rolling out V-Power 100 RON in Germany, to replace Optimax.

6. Speed cameras are still relatively very and few and far between, it also helps having British plates.

7. The dealers are a bit more few and far between in Germany, but they are good, very effecient and due to the general culture of respect for your fellow man being far higher here than in the UK, means that it would really play with thier conscience if they ripped you off.

In fact, just about every aspect raises 2 fingers to the UK.

All I need now is for shops to stock walkers crisps, nice fluffy white sliced bread, bisto gravy granules and colmans mint jelly and I would be in heaven.
Old 20 May 2003, 08:18 AM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep - pretty hard to beat. Plus you forgot to mention that Austria is (for me) only 50 min away, and italy only 1.5 hrs. The "wonderful B roads" in the uk are pretty boring in comparison...

Security is great - in my road alone there are 3 porsche, 5 mercs and a dozen or so bmws. As you come further south it becomes very safe indeed.

The open speed limits are nice too. Sunday morning coming back from steves. 3 lane autobahn, almost completely empty, wound the taco up to around 265kmh. (and before anyone says that is bla crap - it was a bmw 330 test car from work - so has no restictions, and is brilliantly fun )

Welcome to germany my friend. We shall have to meet up at the next meeting...

Neal
Old 21 May 2003, 02:28 PM
Andrew Longworth
Scooby Regular

Where abouts in Germany are you?
Old 21 May 2003, 08:08 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Another convert Totally agree on all counts

Richard
Old 23 May 2003, 05:38 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Talking

http://www.english-shop.de LOL
Old 23 May 2003, 06:38 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

http://www.lifeslittleluxuries.co.uk

[Edited by Re-Bitten Hero - 5/23/2003 6:38:46 PM]
Old 23 May 2003, 06:47 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Oh my God Andy, you really must have been pissed last night!

Fluffy white bread - really!!!

There are some bad sides to Germany though! Ikea doesn't take credit cards and the traffic lights are in really silly positions

[Edited by BMWhere? - 5/23/2003 6:47:56 PM]
Old 24 May 2003, 12:59 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

people are ********, too...
Old 25 May 2003, 05:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Alastair it ain't only IKEA that doesn't take credit cards! Fortunately some of the bigg supermarkets are discovering this remarkable 20th century invention, but we need to be patient! I mean the shopping laws are only just being revised from 1957 FFS
Old 25 May 2003, 10:27 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Tell me about it... you can spend 6000 Euros on a plasma screen in MediaMarkt/ProMarkt/etc. and they still won't take credit cards! Sorry, but I just don't carry that amount of cash!

I once went to Ikea and picked out 2000DM of furnature, before I had an EC card, expected them to take credit card, got to the cash till and couldn't pay! So I left without buying the furnature!

Unfortunately I needed it, so I had to go back a couple of days later with cash!
Old 26 May 2003, 10:42 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Tell the shop to send you an invoice or ask your bank for a chequebook. Krautland sucks for CCs.
Old 26 May 2003, 08:37 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Got my second ever speeding ticket doing 113kmh in a 100kmh on the autobahn at Kessel. Technically the wife did as she was driving, but I was egging her on... Worrying thing was they sent the ticket direct to my address in Holland. Big brother isn't only watching, he also knows where you live!!

Apart from that, nothing against the Krauts. Fine beer and lovely sausages. Ein Paar von meinen besten Freunden kommen aus Deutschland!!

Gruessen

Suresh
Old 27 May 2003, 08:13 PM
Andrew Longworth
Scooby Regular

On the ticket front - there is an agreement between several countries in Europe where they exchange the tickets so Germany sends all the tickets for Dutch people to the Dutch authorities and the Dutch authorities do like wise with the German tickets.
Old 27 May 2003, 10:51 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

They apparently have a similar agreement between Germany and Switzerland, although I've also been told it only applies to the German cars registered near the Swiss border! So if your from Berlin your probably OK!

I can also confirm, from several years experience, they do not trace UK registered cars! Although I think its fair to assume if the crime is severe enough they will trace you!

Although I think its all going to change in around 2007 when all the countries in the EC get the full European driving licence and vehicle registration systems online! Then its points & prizes all round!
Old 28 May 2003, 04:48 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I got flashed in Belgium doing over 200kmh but never heard anything about it. Fortunately
Old 30 May 2003, 10:36 PM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

F*ck it!

I'm still on Brit plates!

I've triggered more cameras than Samantha Fox!

Besides, why has every little toe rag have to have huge tyres and massive exhausts in there Astra GTE, super nova and honda civic.

What the f*ck is this all about.

I had a rumble with a Honda Civic the other day, he was pissed off that I went around him going up Rheinstrasse in Darmstadt, by the time I reached 95 (mph) he was smoking and that was only over a K.

I could here his revs over mine!

Must have been screwing the cobblers off it.

F*ck off thats what I say.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:59 PM
ScoobyDooMe
Scooby Regular

Hey Al, do you remember the helicopter trip over Hockenheim,

I was looking at some pics the other day with you, me, Rhianwen and Kera!
Old 31 May 2003, 09:56 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Arrow