Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Wierd noise from dash when cornering

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2013, 12:04 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wierd noise from dash when cornering

This is a bit of an odd one and it's starting to really bug me! I've tried searching on here and other various Impreza forums and can't find anything similar.

Basically, whenever I corner slightly more enthusiastically than normal, I get a strange noise from somewhere that sounds like it's towards the back of the dashboard. It almost sounds as if there are lots of little stones, or bits of gravel/grit trapped somewhere, that stay where they are normally, but on hard cornering they rattle from one side of the dash to the other.

The only area I can think this might be coming from is the ventilation ducting. The reason for thinking this is that it's quite a prolonged noise, as if whatever it is that's moving around has a reasonable distance to travel and I'm assuming there is a long horizontal bit of ducting on either side of the dash.

So, firstly, is this something that anyone has come across before on a classic Scoob and secondly, how much of the dash am I going to have to take out, to get the ducting? The car in question is a 1997 Turbo 2000 Wagon, if that makes any difference!

Edit - should probably add that this is a pre-facelift dash with no aircon and that it sounds like it's the drivers side that the noise comes from.

Last edited by ben.harris; 22 December 2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 22 December 2013, 12:59 AM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ben.harris
This is a bit of an odd one and it's starting to really bug me! I've tried searching on here and other various Impreza forums and can't find anything similar.

Basically, whenever I corner slightly more enthusiastically than normal, I get a strange noise from somewhere that sounds like it's towards the back of the dashboard. It almost sounds as if there are lots of little stones, or bits of gravel/grit trapped somewhere, that stay where they are normally, but on hard cornering they rattle from one side of the dash to the other.

The only area I can think this might be coming from is the ventilation ducting. The reason for thinking this is that it's quite a prolonged noise, as if whatever it is that's moving around has a reasonable distance to travel and I'm assuming there is a long horizontal bit of ducting on either side of the dash.

So, firstly, is this something that anyone has come across before on a classic Scoob and secondly, how much of the dash am I going to have to take out, to get the ducting? The car in question is a 1997 Turbo 2000 Wagon, if that makes any difference!

Edit - should probably add that this is a pre-facelift dash with no aircon and that it sounds like it's the drivers side that the noise comes from.
Read this!

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-box-area.html
Old 22 December 2013, 09:54 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Twin Fields
Thanks - but that sounds like a different issue (no pun intended!). Unlike that one, mine is only when hard cornering, not when starting the car, and I wouldn't describe it as a watery sound. It's very definitely stones or something similar physically sliding around. I just need to track down where!

Thanks anyway though.
Old 02 January 2014, 12:56 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

From your description (and not sitting in the car) it sounds like it’s something under the scuttle panel (only bit I can think of that long enough to give you a prolonged noise).

Take off the wipers and lift off the plastic panel - you'll see the wiper mechanism etc in a long metal type box (full width of car) then look for anything that's obvious loose.
Old 02 January 2014, 01:03 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

bet he has been doing some work and left some washers or bolts sitting in the scuttle tray
Old 02 January 2014, 06:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless it's some weld splatter INSIDE the horizontal brace behind the dash?
Old 03 January 2014, 12:11 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

I don't think it's anything inside the horizontal brace inside the dash. I've already removed a loose cable tie from in there (was holding some cables from an old alarm system that had been removed) that was rattling around and I hoped that would be the end of the noise, but unfortunately it's still there.

Under the scuttle panel's a very good idea though. I've only had the car 6 months and haven't had to take that bit off yet but that doesn't mean that a previous garage won't have left something in there. It certainly sounds quite feasible. A job for the weekend, I think - assuming it's not chucking it down with rain! I'll report back with my findings (or lack of, perhaps!).
Old 03 January 2014, 09:01 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Hmmm I've got an irritating dash noise too, though not like yours. I'd never thought of the scuttle panel so will try that tomorrow.

My noise is a slight rattle, seems to increase when I blip the throttle from idle (or anything which raises revs such as power steering etc).

Had the glovebox out, clock pod off and still sounds like it's in there somewhere - but could be resonating from behind the dash I guess.
Old 03 January 2014, 12:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the turbo heat shield, they have a habit of rusting round the bolts and working loose.
Old 03 January 2014, 01:23 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Roger!
Old 04 January 2014, 10:56 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Check the turbo heat shield, they have a habit of rusting round the bolts and working loose.
Also worth checking the uppipe heat shield - they can rust loose then rattle like pigs