Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2013, 12:02 PM
GC8Fin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit Newage STI Guage Cluster into classic

This is a quick guide to fitting a 04 STI cluster into a phase 2 classic

Parts I used:

2004 UK STI gauges and matching plugs with enough wire to work with.

You will need to drop the steering column to all enough room to manoeuvre the 04 cluster into the dash. This will also give you a load more room to work when soldering splicing the 04 loom into the original. Take car when doing so because I accidently pushed the grommet through the bulkhead and it can be a right faff trying to get it to go back in.

After dropping the column remove the classic gauge surround and gauges

You can now get an idea of how the 04 cluster nearly fits into the dash, you will notice that the two lower tabs are wider and the one on the top is too fat and deep.

After measuring and comparing the old and new you can begin to trim the tabs down. I spent a long time trimming the top one and had a good fit but it did break off, this hasn’t affected my install as its held tight by the two lower tabs and once the surround is re installed there is no way the cluster can slip.

I secured my cluster with cable ties , this was intended to be a temporary solution whilst as I was converting the cluster to L.E.D , but it has been a good enough fixing so I decided to stick with it.

Once you are happy with the way the 04 cluster fits check that the surround still fits. You will notice that the top of the surround covers the top of the rev counter and the two corners are open. This cannot be avoided, I heated the surround up later and bent it so it didn’t obscure the rev counter and that is as far as I got, I will eventually finish mine and get it to look OEM. I have seen some people manage to fit the later surround into the classic dash which could be an option.

At this point you should be ready to tackle the wiring, i am a mechanic and i am lucky enough to have a very good mate who is a auto electrician to help me with this part. (user: Auto_sparky_WRX)

We started of by pushing the original look thorugh the opening behind the gauges so it hangs out bellow the dash. Unfortunately i don’t have many pictures of this stage.

We then used bits and pieces of information found on the internet, manuals and also what we found to come up with this pin conversion table.

Notice some colours have been left blank, i didn’t record them at the time but the pin numbers should still allow you to find the correct wire.
The table show the plug, pin location and wire colours for each vehicle. So for example you will need to identify the light grn/yel wire that goes to pin A5 on the original loom, then take the light grn/yel that comes from pin B3 and join it.

Then its just a case of following it till you reach the bottom, checking that all systems are working correctly and refitting your cluster etc.

I will do my best to answer your questions

I hope this may be of some use to someone

Last edited by GC8Fin; 29 May 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07 November 2013, 03:15 PM
dannyf 555
Scooby Newbie

Great write up man. I'm doing this to an early classic but am having trouble finding the wiring diagram for it.
Old 07 November 2013, 03:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting, I'd like to see it when/if you do make it look OE.
Old 07 November 2013, 03:37 PM
dannyf 555
Scooby Newbie

I'm changing the whole interior. From the threads I've read so far it can be done and made fit really well. It's the wiring that's got me held up.
Old 09 December 2013, 07:46 AM
scoobynshag
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Will this work on a MY97 classic and are the loom colours and pin outs the same as a later classic ?