Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

I want my dash surrounds to be silver!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2002, 05:21 PM
SCOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see that on a T reg scoob the other day it had silver surrounds around the stereo, gear stick gaitor etc.

Does anyone know where i could get these from??

Thanks

SCOBY
Old 28 April 2002, 10:14 PM
Stu_ee
Scooby Regular

www.grahamgoode.com
Old 30 April 2002, 12:25 AM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Hi Scoby,

I bought the kit from Graham Goode and didn't like it. It is still sitting in the box as I have never fitted it. If anyone wants to take it off my hands at a reasonable price then I'm sure I could be pursuaded to part with it.

Instead, I decided the best way forwards was to paint all the bits.

It is amasing just how easy it is to remove all the trim around the stereo etc. Also done the air vent surrounds and the bits around the window switched in the door handles

I gave it all a light sanding, undercoated it with a plastic primer, applied 3-4 coats of silver paint, followed by 3-4 very fine coats of lacquer.

Takes several hours to do, but it is worth it at a fraction of the cost of any of the kits which are available. I spent about £20 on the paints from Halfords.

I bought a film last weekend to take some pictures of my car (due to several new styling mods), but have discovered the battery on the camera is flat. As soon as I can get a new one I'll post some ppictures.

Simon
Old 30 April 2002, 09:29 PM
Stu_ee
Scooby Regular

Simon

What didn't you like about the kit because that was the one i was looking at buying.

How much for yours?

stuart
Old 02 May 2002, 11:56 PM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

Hi Stuart,

If my memory serves me right I paid something like £180 for the kit. It was quite a while ago now.

The main problems with the kit are:
a) the pieces are too narrow and therefore don't really cover the dash parts very well.
b) they appear to sit quite high. Each piece is about 2-3mm thick which may not sound very much, but when you place it next to the dash it really sticks out.
c) the kit is flat and requires some major bending to get it to fit. I could imagine the glue coming loose due to the pressures and bits flapping about

In summary, I thought that it just looked like a poorly fitting, stuck on bit of plastic.

These are just my personal opinions and are by no means meant to be a slur on the excellent service offered by Graham Goode. I think it just goes to show that buying things via mail order / over the internet from pictures / photographs is no substitute for being able to go into a shop and look at a product.

I'm hopefully going to get some photos taken at the weekend of my car. If you would like to see them just e-mail me.

Cheers

Simon
Old 03 May 2002, 07:24 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Trouser had his surrounds sprayed in a titanium finish which does look boss & is seemingly far cheaper than those nasty stick on things
If u wana give him the spanish inquisition i'm sure he woodn't mind u calling TSL
Si
PS i'm still tempted 2 do it but may get spare surround from a breakers so dont need 2 pull em out & paint em etc all in 1 go
Old 03 May 2002, 08:54 AM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Scooby Si, trouser has, and it looks pretty damn good (tarty ???) - I asked him about it as I want aluminium for mine and he suggested going down the route he did - the only word of warning, and a call to Trouser is a must, it took a very long time. Mainly to do with cleansing the items before spraying etc. As with anything, if you wanna do it properly, you need to spend the time on it !

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2002, 10:47 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Why does'nt someone ask Trouser to post a photo of it so we can all have a look.
Old 05 May 2002, 11:04 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well i already have the pix & i'm sure he woodn't mind me showing off on his behalf

Si
Old 05 May 2002, 11:16 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Looks great, what MY is the car as dash looks very different from mine.
Cheers
Marc
Old 06 May 2002, 08:03 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

A note of interest, popped into Halfords today (sorry !), and the Ripspeed section had a new (I think) range of "prestige dash kits", available in brushed aluminium, blue, red, yellow, wood, and c.Fibre. Kits are specific to makes / models / MYs. I'm frightened to say, but the display I saw looked good although I'm not sure until I've actually seen fitted to a car.

Has anyone else gone down this route ??? (certainly seems easier than painting !).

Old 06 May 2002, 08:06 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

u pays yer money n all that but dont like the stuck on stuff i'd rather get a proper finish
Kud b rong but stick ons aint cheap either from wot i've seen!
Si
Old 09 May 2002, 02:04 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I also painted mine (99MY) and it really looks the dogs, and FAR FAR superior to the v.v.v.expensive stick on stuff.

Anybody with basic spraycan skills can do it...it just takes patience to properly prep & allow to dry.

Remove the panels off their spring clips, thoroughly degrease with meths or similar to remove polish etc, then prime 1 coat & paint 2 or 3 good coats....allow to dry thoroughly, then laquer 3 coats to get a good shine.

I painted mine in Alloy Wheel Silver, which is'nt a bright colour but more charcoaly so its not too bright, but not as dark as the 00MY dashes which were factory painted.

It makes a massive difference to the cabin, when I see a std one now I think it looks horrible and dark black, it makes it look much more modern....thats why the new shape cars have this finsh as standard on the dash now.
Old 09 May 2002, 06:49 PM
Marc R
Scooby Regular

Any chance of some pics DR Hu, thinking of doing this and just wanted to know which parts you,ve sprayed.

Cheers

Marc
Old 10 May 2002, 01:47 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I'll try....I have never been arsed to set up any web sapce to host any pics though....

I currently have the centre console (radio surround) and the gear lever surround done. I did this within a day of buying the car new!!.....I am now seriously toying with the idea of doing the far left & far right vent surrounds.

I did'nt want to go over the top & make it look tarty, but the new shape cars have these done and it looks OK.

I am also toying with doing the instrument surround....NOT the exterior surround one which is still black but the actual surround inside the perspex around the rev & speedo etc.....not sure though if the binnacle assy comes apart.

This is something else the new car has painted, although slightly darker than silver.
Old 10 May 2002, 05:37 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

U dont need yer own web space just make sure jpg or gif is less than 100kb to be sure it'll work then go to pix uploader select yer image to upload then copy the code it gives u into message & there u have it.
No excuses now getcha dash out
Si
Old 10 May 2002, 05:41 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

& getting the surround bit out is easy go to how to & select appropraiate year & then white dial bit obviously u dont need 2 do the dial removal bit but it explains how to remove the consol bit etc did have a site for painting this bit but i think it was a yank type thing & stopped working oh well that'll give u the basics
Si
Old 25 May 2002, 01:33 AM
SimonJM
Scooby Regular

The photos at last. I've been trying for ages to get the uploader to work. I discovered that all my files are .png and the uploder will only work with .jpg or .gif files

Hope it has worked now

Cheers

Simon

PS
Message for Stephen Morgan - I have tried e-mailing you the photos several times, but every time I got a failed delivery message.
Hope you like them anyway

Old 28 May 2002, 09:06 PM
morgsa
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Simon,

The pictures look's great.
My email has been playing up recently but cheers for trying send them anyway.
I have done mine as well now and am well chuffed with the results.

Steve Morgan.
Old 29 May 2002, 01:11 AM
Justin S
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What the hell, heres my silver bits aswell

Cheers
Justin