Steering wheel upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2010, 03:39 PM
CDog
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel upgrade?

Hi there

New to Scoobynet. Have owned my hawkeye for a couple of months now (loves it ). The first thing I did was to put a Pioneer F920BT in it but I would really like some steering head-unit controls which the hatchback comes with. Has anybody tried a transplant yet? Don't want to buy the wheel and then find out it doesn't fit.

Thanks for the help
Old 01 October 2010, 04:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the wheel fits, at least as regards splines, but as others have pointed out, airbag compatibility isn't necessarily 100% and could lead to problems.

Added to that, the wiring for the headunit controls would be a nightmare............
Old 01 October 2010, 04:56 PM
CDog
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the help . Would you be so kind as to help me with a link to the airbag situation. I would like to look into this some more.

Thanks again. As for the wiring, oh well

Last edited by CDog; 01 October 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01 October 2010, 07:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Link? Dunno, but there was a long thread recently about putting wheels from newer cars on to older ones, and the consensus was, that while it CAN be done, no-one could say for certain whether the airbags would be compatible, or not.

Now while I HAVE done it, (I have the wheel/airbag off a WR1 on my classic), several people were at pains to point out that even though the wiring LOOKS OK, and the airbag MAY work apparently as it should, it's characteristics may be different from an OE airbag, which could lead to problems.

As for the headunit wiring, on a modern car, rather you than me.........and I know a bit about wiring, trust me
Old 01 October 2010, 11:17 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

think airbags from hatch maybe dual charge so could give lots of problems, but if bolt pattern the same you could just swap the charge over from your own wheel, but would need looking into, when I fitted a my05 sti wheel to my 03 wrx the charge although had same plugs was different part number so for safety I swapped them over so I knew my airbag was compatible with the ecu and should have fired correctly had it ever needed to.