Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Fitting jdm sti clocks to MY00 classic

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2009, 01:31 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting jdm sti clocks to MY00 classic**update**

I got hold off a set of V6 jdm sti clocks to fit in my MY00 classic.Did lot's of searching on the net about fitting them with mixed results.Some said it just plugs in some said there had to be wiring changes so today i set about fitting them.Took a spare set of uk clocks i had apart.

Remember the gauges have metal clips that go through the board they got me first time i took them apart.

Then did the same with the jdm ones.Traced the tracks on the boards to find the ones i did all matched.Then i took the immobilizer led off the uk board along with the link and diode marked on the uk board as LED71 link R71 and diode D73 the places are all on the jdm board to fit them.Uk board below

I put the jdm clocks back together useing the black front plate with my knock fitted in it.I could not bring myself to drill the nice silver one on the jdm clocks.Fitted back into the car and it all worked rev counter is spot on fuel/temp read the same and all lights are there.I have got to fit the speed converter still as it did not turn up today so here they are fitted.

The speed converter has turned up nice and small it is too.So as i did not want to fit it on the gearbox sensor where the instructions said i set to work on the clocks again and here is where to wire it up.
CONVERTER COLOURS
Yellow -- Signal in
Grey -- Signal out
Red -- 12V+
Black -- Ground 0V

What ever type of converter you use i can not see why if you know the wire out's it will connect to the same place on the jdm board but to cover myself i can not guarantee this will work for all.Right back to the board with the clocks laid in front of you the connector pin's you need are in the top left Signal in goes to pin 10 follow the track up (see pic) then Signal out goes here.You have to cut this track so the speed sensor now reads through the converter(white dot on track in pic) red goes to the end of the track from pin 7 of the connector and the black to pin 13.Lay the wires behind the plastic cover and stick to base of the clocks.

I have run the clocks up to 100mph(private road)in 20mph steps with a satnav running and it is 2mph over across this range(32clocks/30 satnav)
If anybody is going to do this mod here is where i got my converter.
Electronic - www.SVAparts.com

Hope this helps and saves you time I only took 6mth's to do it myself

Last edited by Scooby Wez; 31 December 2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Update
Old 22 December 2009, 01:48 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Quality job
Old 22 December 2009, 08:22 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

great job im wanting to fit a knock into my clocks like u have
Old 23 December 2009, 05:13 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Bit of an update.Took the car out last night and found the Handbrake light glowing when it was off remember this is now lit by a led not a bulb.So today had a look what was wrong as the speed converter still did not turn up.Found it was my turbo timer where it linked in to the handbrake switch and pulling the voltage down so making the led in the dash glow.Fixed this with a pull up link made with 2 4k7 resistors in parallel to lift the volatge back up.Linked it to the yellow on the mirror switch then in to the connector for my timer.

So now no glowing led and a working timer
Old 23 December 2009, 06:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You are a brave bloke, taking clocks apart

I fancy doing it with mine, which is a 98 car, but haven't got around to it yet. AFAIK, I need clocks out of a 98 car to fit? The connectors are different.

And since I'm still saving to have my engine rebuilt, perhaps now is not a good time.........

Did you do anything with the odometer, or just leave it?
Old 23 December 2009, 06:49 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

It will be having a speed converter fitted as soon as it turns up at the moment still in kph.They are easy to work with just take your time i did it as i was sure they would be near as dam it plug and play and they were.The v4 facelift clocks will not fit v5/6 from what i found out.
Old 24 December 2009, 01:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Wez
It will be having a speed converter fitted as soon as it turns up at the moment still in kph.They are easy to work with just take your time i did it as i was sure they would be near as dam it plug and play and they were.The v4 facelift clocks will not fit v5/6 from what i found out.
So what will you do with the mileage showing? Have it adjusted, or leave it? Or is it the same as yours was?

As you say, the V4 clocks only fit V4 cars. I CAN get some, but have been told that IO need an adaptor loom..........

And I need to pay for my rebuild first too.
Old 24 December 2009, 01:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

So what will you do with the mileage showing? Have it adjusted, or leave it? Or is it the same as yours was?

As you say, the V4 clocks only fit V4 cars. I CAN get some, but have been told that I need an adaptor loom..........

Old 24 December 2009, 01:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As you say, the V4 clocks only fit V4 cars. I CAN get some, but have been told that I need an adaptor loom..........

Old 24 December 2009, 03:42 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

The mileage on the jdm sti will start to read in mph when i fit the converter at that time the milage will start to clock in miles.I have recorded my miles from the uk old clocks and will record the mileage on the jdm clocks when the converter is fitted,Then all i will have to do is add the miles on to the recorded milage from the old clocks at service time.I am going to get in touch with a company that possible can recode the chip so will not need the converter and they can put my milage on to the jdm clocks but belive this to be expensive and a sva approved converter was only £25.

I looked for a long time for info on fitting the clocks in the end i just went for it and got a set.I would if you can get a set then match them to yours you may be surprised and they fit as i was.As above all i had to fit was the led for the immobilizer.

Good project while your having the rebuild
Old 24 December 2009, 04:01 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
You are a brave bloke, taking clocks apart

I fancy doing it with mine, which is a 98 car, but haven't got around to it yet. AFAIK, I need clocks out of a 98 car to fit? The connectors are different.

And since I'm still saving to have my engine rebuilt, perhaps now is not a good time.........

Did you do anything with the odometer, or just leave it?
I have a list of the wiring differences between the UK and JDM instrument cluster harness, fairly straightforward job to swap the pins around to make them work.

Andrew...
Old 24 December 2009, 04:51 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndrewC
I have a list of the wiring differences between the UK and JDM instrument cluster harness, fairly straightforward job to swap the pins around to make them work.

Andrew...
Is this for the v4 clocks as the v5/6 ones as i have found are plug and play
Old 31 December 2009, 05:12 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Btt as updated
Old 11 January 2010, 10:00 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

as you like a challenge follow this link and program mileage yourself, can easy get code for correct mileage from your old clocks.

DIY: Reprogram the odometer on your swapped dash - RS25.com: Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community

It does work as I read my 03 wrx clocks, they are very similar and come apart the same as yours.

The circuit is very cheap to build only the voltage regulator was not available, found an alternative at maplins, can't remember the number but if you are interested can check tomorrow

Last edited by daz1968; 11 January 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11 January 2010, 10:53 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Thanks that was a good read.I am going to look in to this more as i have spare clocks will just swap the chips over and see how they read.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:13 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Nice job, well done.
A few years ago I wanted to change the whole interior inc dash, clocks, heaters etc from a sti v4 to my sti v2.
With 2 looms laid out and plenty of cut wires the end result was worth it.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...8/PICT0433.jpg

I still got a spare sti v6 speedo clock but as there was little info at the time on the wiring for these I opted for a sti v4 speedo which uses the copper ribbon type circuit. A little easier to trace the wires.

Ticky
Old 13 January 2010, 07:41 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Tryed just swapping the chips to day they it does not hold just the mileage it controls the rev counter postion as well.I have fitted a socket to the jdm board now so i can get the chip out easier.I am going to make up a board to look at both jdm/uk chips the i will update.Ticky do you want to let the v6 you have go need a set to to work with save taking mine in and out the car.
Old 13 January 2010, 09:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndrewC

Andrew...

Can you PM me those, please?
Old 13 January 2010, 10:07 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Think I'm going to have a crack at the mileage adjustment for a spare set of clocks I've got.

Daz> can you let me know what the Maplins part was for the Voltage reg, please?
Old 13 January 2010, 10:15 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Will have to post up part number I used tomorrow as can't get to it till then, but will do. I tried a couple before I found one that worked, as you need one that works with a low voltage differential as the com port on the pc is quite close on voltage, most standard ones need 7-9 volts to work, whereas the one I used works fine. The circuit read my 03 wrx clocks no problem, only problem I have is the 06 sti clocks I have has a smaller surface mount ic and I don't have the equipment or confidence to remove it. There is a program for calculating the mileage codes that I got called tachosoft. But if you read your own eprom with the mileage you want you can just enter the mileage values from this into the correct lines on the dump from the new dash using a hex editor.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:57 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Tryed just swapping the chips to day they it does not hold just the mileage it controls the rev counter postion as well.I have fitted a socket to the jdm board now so i can get the chip out easier.I am going to make up a board to look at both jdm/uk chips the i will update.Ticky do you want to let the v6 you have go need a set to to work with save taking mine in and out the car.
I will get back to you tommorrow.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:29 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate
Old 14 January 2010, 09:37 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Here is a link to the voltage regulator I found as a working alternative to the one stated, as that is almost impossible to get,

150mA Ultra Low Dropout Positive Voltage Regulator : Voltage Regulators : Maplin

the 5 volt version is the one to get

Darren
Old 16 January 2010, 12:04 AM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Ok as i have my mot tomorrow and like to leave it to the last minute My mate built a board to read the chip tonight while i pulled my dash out again and stripped both down.Looked at the codes on the uk chip then the jdm one.Having a spare chip erased it then put the jdm codes on with my uk mileage codes 'IT WORKED' So now have jdm clocks reading in mph with my correct milage.I will post pic' up tomorrow.
Old 16 January 2010, 11:11 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

So will this work with a set of UK clocks from a MY99?
Old 16 January 2010, 08:33 PM
Scooby Wez
Scooby Regular

Yep my car is a uk my99.It's the Same chip in both clocks this is the uk board.
Old 04 February 2010, 09:24 AM
DINO 93
Scooby Newbie

hi
i'm wrintting from France sorry for my very bad english

i'm owner of an impreza 99

i very interested by this post

i'm explain :

JDM STI have make a cluster with 10 000 t and 300 km/h ref : Speed Meter Conbination ST8100055230

but it s sold out

so i have buy a JDM V4 cluster adn by to JDM STI the tacho and speedo meter 10000t and 300 km/h
and i m realising the swap of wiring loom

but i have an other possibility

i have by an STI JDM LEGACY with 10000t and 300 km/h
i have took the to "motor" of the legacy cluster and pull it into my V5 jdm cluster ( it the same pin out )

i have put the 10000t and 300km/h background of the V4

and i going to try this on lunch time

if it's work it s will be fine unless i continue my V4 swap into my99
Old 04 February 2010, 11:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It would have been easier to look on e-bay and get a v5 cluster. I think THEY are a direct swap

"Try it on lunch time"? LOL, I know you French have a long lunch-time, but swapping instruments during it?
Old 04 February 2010, 02:18 PM
DINO 93
Scooby Newbie

so i try to find the sti part

but no one have one in stock

i have call this morning NIPPON SEIKI the society who built cluster for subaru
they can response to me because the answerd about there stock must come from subaru only

so i have put my modified cluster on my car at the lunch time everithing works fine

i test tonignt the tacho and the speedo in real condition

but the tacho is ok until 3000 rpm and the speedo is ok until 30 km/h

i take the tacho and speedo information from the ecu and i compare with the cluster

the lunch time for me is " as i want " i m the chief
Old 04 February 2010, 02:20 PM
DINO 93
Scooby Newbie

no i have just to put the led of the immobilizer an wire the DCCD illumination

i have an STI 9 gearbox with DCCDDeluxe Pro controler

why an STI 9 gearbox because i have swap a nex 2.5 STI semi closed and with my TD05/20G i have to much torque for my 99 gearbox

Quick Reply: Fitting jdm sti clocks to MY00 classic