Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

harness bar opinion!

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2009, 09:54 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harness bar opinion!

hi peeps.i am in the process of fabricating a rollcage to fit to my bug-eye and also over xmas my buddy is leather trimming some classic bucket seats to fit to the bug also. i am thinking of placing a bar across the main hoop from b-pillar to b-pillar behind the seats so i can fit harnesses safely without resorting to attaching them to the rear seats as i want to keep the rear seats for my kids.fabricating the bar myself is cheaper than buying one and i can attach it to the existing frame.

my quetion is does anybody think this bar could be a safety issue for my kids in the event of an accident???they are always strapped in but a gremlin in the back of my head is telling me this bar could be in a prime location for my kids to hit should i have a prang!if i make one it will be removable but im really gauging peoples opinion on the subject.if the vote goes to not fitting one then the standard belts will suffice.cheers people
Old 04 December 2009, 10:00 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cage and bar = massive potential for head injury for everyone in the car in the event of a crash ! Cages in cars are for people who wear helmets when they drive them. Don't do it if the kids are in the back mate ! ok if you want to risk injury to yourself but pretty irresponsible in a vehicle that carries kids. Sorry but IMHO nope !
Old 04 December 2009, 10:05 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

cheers 53.no need for sorry mate.its your opinion im after,wether it be good positive or negative.i will add tho that the cage im making is routed right up close to roofline and back onto the rear shelf/strut area and wont intrude into the kids area at all unlike over the counter one.this is the main reason im doing it myself.
Old 04 December 2009, 10:24 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best thing would be a detachable bar clamped with an over engineered scaffold clamp ?
Old 05 December 2009, 12:51 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still don't do it as belts or not people fly around everywhere inside a car in a accident, especially little people. i have a removable roll cage for exactly that reason and would never use it with anyone in the back or if I wasn't wearing a helmet
Old 05 December 2009, 04:39 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

point taken.all cage can be fitted removed in a short while.its only really for the odd track day anyway.cheers guys