Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

MY05 Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2009, 04:02 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 Steering Wheel

I want to change my standard STi airbag steering wheel to an OMP WRC version but I see issues.

Firstly has anyone changed an 05 steering wheel, if so what solution?

The problems I see so far are OMP don't do a boss kit. As the car has DCCD it also has steering angle sensor I believe, where is this mounted?

Thanks
Old 23 October 2009, 09:38 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

No one on here has got an 05 STi with an aftermarket steering wheel?
Old 29 October 2009, 05:30 PM
Stubarusti
Scooby Regular

I fitted a Sparco wheel to my 05 STI i used a Momo boss part number mom7306. You will have to fit a resistor to the airbag circuit otherwise the light will be permanantly on. The only other problem i had was the cowling around the steering column had to be trimmed to stop the boss fouling i did this with a file as the plastic is quite soft.
Old 29 October 2009, 07:20 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your wheel Dan, did the curly wire come with the horn push or did you have to get that seperately?
Old 29 October 2009, 08:21 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Got it, did you wire the start up yourself or get a kit?

Trending Topics

Old 29 October 2009, 08:33 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I'm taking the kids Christmas shopping tomorrow as I'm next home on Christmas eve, and I can't drive at the moment (photo card has run out) so it'll have to wait until I'm back at Christmas
Old 29 October 2009, 08:40 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to change your wheel be careful the steering angle sensors on the dccd units are very sensative if you move them you might as well give up and buy a new steering angle sensor.I should know I went down the same route fitted an aftermarket wheel and when I tightened the the new wheel up it was pressing slightly on the plastic cover of the steering angle sensor box and that was enough to make it fubar.
Old 29 October 2009, 08:41 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Not a drama for me as I have a WRX, hence no DCCD
Old 29 October 2009, 10:41 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
If you are going to change your wheel be careful the steering angle sensors on the dccd units are very sensative if you move them you might as well give up and buy a new steering angle sensor.I should know I went down the same route fitted an aftermarket wheel and when I tightened the the new wheel up it was pressing slightly on the plastic cover of the steering angle sensor box and that was enough to make it fubar.
This is my problem. Where is the sensor, what was the outcome and have you got an aftermarket wheel on now? Any pics at all of problems?

Stubarusti - was your fitment onto a car with DCCD? Do you have pics, any problems?

HT04 - I have seen your posts while looking for answers. It's a great looking setup - where did the curly cable come from bud?
Old 30 October 2009, 10:59 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

The sensor is in a rectangular plastic box attached to the roll spring under the steering wheel if you take your wheel off you will see it I think it is held to the steering column by 3 screws,I ended up buying a new unit and refitting the standard wheel back the sensor has 2 leads coming out of it one on the right and one on the left if I remember rightly sorry I dont have any pics.
Old 30 October 2009, 06:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Those who have done this mod: did your insurers say owt?
Old 05 November 2009, 09:47 AM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Last night I removed my wheel. The sensor for the steering angle is indeed behind the wheel and is integrated into airbag sensor ring. Now I've got problems .

I wonder who knows if the steering angle sensor was not connected, what would the DCCD do. Would it go to default auto, would there be a catastrophic failure, need someone with expert knowledge on this system. Can anyone help?
Old 05 November 2009, 10:12 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

If the steering angle sensor is fubared or not connected at the steering wheel your DCCD goes into default and stays fully open(indicated by flashing green light on the dash and not been able to switch into auto) which is ok you can still drive the car but turning corners slowly or reversing you will get a heavy knocking from the centre diff as the diff winds up the only way round it is to buy a new ring/sensor comes fitted together and set ready to drop in best advice would be for a garage to fit as well the bad bit is it aint cheap roughly round about the £400 mark and then fitting on top dont forget as well if its a JDM its different to the uk/euro models.
Old 06 November 2009, 09:51 AM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
If the steering angle sensor is fubared or not connected at the steering wheel your DCCD goes into default and stays fully open(indicated by flashing green light on the dash and not been able to switch into auto) which is ok you can still drive the car but turning corners slowly or reversing you will get a heavy knocking from the centre diff as the diff winds up the only way round it is to buy a new ring/sensor comes fitted together and set ready to drop in best advice would be for a garage to fit as well the bad bit is it aint cheap roughly round about the £400 mark and then fitting on top dont forget as well if its a JDM its different to the uk/euro models.
Ok, some answers. This is a MY05 STi Type UK with DCCD, wide rear track. I removed the steering wheel and there was the airbag control ring with the angle sensor attached. Followed the looms to the car loom, yellow plug has two wires which correspond to the actual airbag plug, connects to car via yellow plug, two wires. The other loom, steering angle sensor and horn, four wires, black plug, connects to a black plug on the car loom with, yes, you've guessed it: one bloody wire for the horn. What is this all about?

Guess mine hasn't got the steering sensor connected, no sign of corresponding wires on loom of car but my DCCD did work according to the dash and yes it also winds the diff on tight turns.

Interestingly, last night I read a bit about the DCCD on some forums in America, comments from various sources, one of which said that the DCCD should not be used on tarmac other than in auto, a mistake by Subaru? I don't know what truth there is in this.
Old 09 November 2009, 10:18 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Got myself the OMP wheel and a momo boss kit for a 2005 on WRX with airbag. Just sat the boss and wheel on and it would appear the boss would fit ok and pick up the airbag sensor ring but haven't done this yet. There is also a small resistor to fool the airbag ecu included. Haven't tried it with the cowels on yet either but very happy I'm able to change the wheel. Piccies at a later date.
Old 28 November 2009, 08:09 AM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badbaz
Got myself the OMP wheel and a momo boss kit for a 2005 on WRX with airbag. Just sat the boss and wheel on and it would appear the boss would fit ok and pick up the airbag sensor ring but haven't done this yet. There is also a small resistor to fool the airbag ecu included. Haven't tried it with the cowels on yet either but very happy I'm able to change the wheel. Piccies at a later date.
Hello matie. where did you buy the boss kit from?
Old 28 November 2009, 12:10 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

so am i best not changing the steering wheel on my 06 STI, as in will i get loads of problems and end up costing me loads of cash and not to mension the hastle, cheers steve.
Old 28 November 2009, 05:07 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT04
you only need one wire for the horn dude. well i did anyways. all you are doing is breaking/connecting the earth of the horn. the other side of the wire if you like, is the actual boss, steering wheel and horn ring. that all connects to each other.

hope you get what i mean, changing the wheel really is childs play.

dan
Dan

I don't see where I mentioned the horn having any more than one wire?

On an MY05 STi on, it isn't straight forward at all. The boss won't fit the air bag sensor ring. I had to mod mine, there maybe is a boss to suit post 05 STi but I never found one!
Old 28 November 2009, 05:12 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
so am i best not changing the steering wheel on my 06 STI, as in will i get loads of problems and end up costing me loads of cash and not to mension the hastle, cheers steve.
I'd reckon unless you're happy to modify it and never return it to standard when you own it, then your simple answer is no!

Read this Next Round Of Modding Has Begun - Subaru Impreza Drivers Club post No 26 gives some info on what I had to do on mine to fit the wheel, all is well but there is no going back without loads of wonga!
Old 28 November 2009, 05:14 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simon57
Hello matie. where did you buy the boss kit from?
Hi pal,

I got it from hereMomo | Momo Steering Bosses | SUBARU IMPREZA WRX from 2005 with Airbag, note it's for a WRX, that's probably why I had to mod the sensor ring! Good luck trying to find a post 05 STi one!
Old 28 November 2009, 06:09 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

Forgive me for being a bit thick but will the steering angle sensor be in use or not on my 06 STI and it it that part that causes the fitting issues , im a littlr confused. com, cheers steve.
Old 28 November 2009, 09:24 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
Forgive me for being a bit thick but will the steering angle sensor be in use or not on my 06 STI and it it that part that causes the fitting issues , im a littlr confused. com, cheers steve.
I was concerned about steering sensors when I first contemplated changing my wheel. A bit of questioning on forums let me know there was a steering sensor fitted. It turned out to be built onto the air bag sensor ring. I hadn't seen one at this point and had just been told about it. According to someone in group N rallying the sensor didn't measure angle but only when a certain amount of lock, i.e full lock or thereabouts was reached the centre diff was uncoupled to aid tight turning and avoid diffs winding up. This guy had work with maps for the DCCD so I presume knew what he was talking about. The only way to be sure was to strip bits off and check.

If you've read my SIDC thread above then you'll see that I discovered it wasn't bloody connected to the car!! This was good from my point of view however I think as can be seen in the diagrams so long as the boss fitted the sensor ring correctly then it wouldn't cause a problem anyway. The problem I had is that my sensor ring had three separate connectors on the ring, one for the horn, one for the air bag and one not used. The WRX sensor ring must be different I reckon. The boss' hole wasn't big enough to take the three connectors, so I modified mine to suit, leaving me with the horn connector only, which suited my needs.

The only way to know for you is to strip the wheel off and have a look, follow the wiring. It depends if you ever want to go back.
Old 28 November 2009, 09:30 PM
badbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT04
right guys. i suggest you go to rhdjapan.com and get a vehicle specific boss. thatll solve all the fitment issues. bin the momo kit and get one from japan.

dan
Had a look Dan, as far as I could see no boss for MY05 on? Maybe I missed?

You maybe not realise the MY05 STi and onwards seems to have a different sensor ring which there doesn't seem to be a boss for?

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your sensor ring when your wheel was off?

Here's mine:

Quick Reply: MY05 Steering Wheel