Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

What do I do about the handbrake when swapping my centre console?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2009, 07:45 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question What do I do about the handbrake when swapping my centre console?

Spent Saturday morning doing a centre console swap on my bug to put in a Hawkeye console with the updated heater control dials and push button ashtray.

Generally it all went fairly easily; even though I didn't have the revised steel bracket from the Hawkeye, it still fits together sturdily enough re-using the bug one, and I was also prepared for the fact that I'd have to relocate the 'leccy mirror switch somewhere else.
However, what I wasn't expecting was the handbrake problem.

The gaitor for the handbrake appears to be far far too long (nearly covers the whole handbrake lever!), and the bugeye handbrake is also sited slightly too far left so it rubs against the armrest gap (the latter isn't a big deal).

Pics below show what I mean.
For now I've removed the gaitor as it just looked plain naff, but I'm wondering if I need to fit a handbrake from a later model to finish this off, or just find a different gaitor. Anybody know?
Has anyone else done this swap, and if so how did you get around this issue?

Before:

After:

Thinking I'll potentially site the electric mirror switch to the side of the centre console, or alternatively inside one of the cup holders, but any other good ideas please let me know.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 12 May 2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12 May 2009, 07:13 PM
bigbarry04
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see you dont have the dccd? the electric mirror switch might fit in there? as for the gaitor, the handbrakes are different not sure if you would get away with using the newer style gaitor.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:08 PM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

looks great!!!! what about a leather sleeve to cover the gap in the handbrake?

should have done a "how to guide" cause i think theres a few bugeyes (including mine) that would love the newer controls etc.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:09 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Hello mate, don't know where the DCCD goes not having an STI myself, but essentially, what I can tell you is that the existing switch doesn't fit in the available slots in the centre console, and I don't fancy rewiring the lot to run the controls all the way over to the driver's door! Will probably cut the side panel to fit it in at some stage.

I won't get away with using the newer style gaitor - I actually have it, but like I said, I left it off because it looked VERY naff - there's far too much of it and it doesn't clip around the bugeye handbrake.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:12 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by borderlinechris
looks great!!!! what about a leather sleeve to cover the gap in the handbrake?

should have done a "how to guide" cause i think theres a few bugeyes (including mine) that would love the newer controls etc.
Don't worry mate - I did take plenty of photos when taking it all apart with a view to putting together a guide, I just want to finish it off properly before I write it up. Yeah I'm thinking some sort of leather cut out like the original might work better; I may have to try and fabricate something, or take it to a coach trimmer who might be able to do better. I'm also going to investigate the possibility of fitting a hawkeye handbrake incase that will resolve the problem...

Thanks for the comments

Last edited by MrNoisy; 12 May 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 13 May 2009, 01:59 PM
bigbarry04
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Hello mate, don't know where the DCCD goes not having an STI myself, but essentially, what I can tell you is that the existing switch doesn't fit in the available slots in the centre console, and I don't fancy rewiring the lot to run the controls all the way over to the driver's door! Will probably cut the side panel to fit it in at some stage.

I won't get away with using the newer style gaitor - I actually have it, but like I said, I left it off because it looked VERY naff - there's far too much of it and it doesn't clip around the bugeye handbrake.
the dccd controls go at the bottom of the cup holders near the handbrake. if it doesnt fit there, i would file it a bit to "make" it fit. like you said there is to much work getting it to fit at drivers door.
Old 13 May 2009, 02:36 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by bigbarry04
the dccd controls go at the bottom of the cup holders near the handbrake. if it doesnt fit there, i would file it a bit to "make" it fit. like you said there is to much work getting it to fit at drivers door.
Do you mean where the blanking plates are at the moment?
The switch is actually too big to fit into one, and too small to fit into both - you'd need to fabricate a blanking plate to hold it, otherwise there would be a gap annoyingly.
I might nip down to the dealer at some stage and see what I can lay my hands on as they're generally quite helpful.

Funny thing too - the electric mirror switch is actually made by Nissan

Last edited by MrNoisy; 13 May 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2009, 03:34 PM
bigbarry04
Scooby Regular

i would try taking one out and filing down the other,hopefully get a nice fit. best of luck whatever road u go down, let us know how you get on.
Old 13 May 2009, 09:39 PM
ScoobaSteve
Scooby Regular

Bugeye_scoob....see my other post,am going to try and get some more plates made up but in black if you are interested.

I got a handbrake from an 06 STI,fits like a glove and you dont need to hack the surround to bits
Old 14 May 2009, 10:39 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Would be v.interested mate cheers chuck me a PM if you're doing that