Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

STI 2005 Air bag cover removal.

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2009, 09:20 PM
wrx_jas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI 2005 Air bag cover removal.

How do you remove the passengers dashboard air bag cover (it has SRS engraved on it).Probably just a matter of lifting it out with a screwdriver under the lip of the cover but I don’t want to damage it.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 01 March 2009, 07:30 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

The lid is normally attached to the airbag and probably cannot be removed by itself. You will need to disconnect the battery, leave it for 10 mins, then remove the glovebox assy to get at the airbag main fixings underneath the IP. The airbag can then probably be removed as a whole and lifted out of the IP from above.

Be careful when disconnecting the airbag harness connector if its your intention to remove the unit.

Can i ask why you want to remove it? If you are painting/flocking the airbag lid, please be aware the thickness of the tearseam on the airbag will be tuned to a particular controlled dimension, so it would not be wise to do anything to the lid that would increase this, and thus increase the opening force required of the airbag to burst through it.
Old 01 March 2009, 11:40 PM
wrx_jas
Scooby Regular

Hi Stuart,

Nothing as interesting as flocking I'm afraid. I'm in the process of swapping some parts out of the WRX I'm selling into the new car (damaged cover in the STI).

I already had the battery disconnected today due to changing the steering wheel and took the glovebox assy out to see if I could work out how it was all held together. The clips around the cover are obvious, tomorrow I'll look into how the airbags held in.

Thanks for the advice.

Jason