Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Classic dash removal.

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2008, 06:51 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic dash removal.

My dashboard in my '96 classic has suffered from sun bleaching so i've managed to get hold of another dashboard and was just wondering how easy it is to remove and refit.

Has anyone done this that can offer me some advice ?
Old 11 August 2008, 07:20 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Done this a few times.

Drop the complete steering column down via 2 x 12mm bolts, plus removing the plastic couling cover. This will help you pull the dash out.

Pull the front trim panel at the front of the dash by the screen, unplug the small sensor on the left hand side. Now look forward to see 2 x 10mm bolts which secure the dash to the front body panel.

Remove the glove box by the hinges (philips screws)
Like wise with the centre console, radio, ashtray & gear console.
Remove the heater control unit & unplug the electrical connectors.
The gearknob screws off and pull the lever gaitor slightly back to reveal some more screws.
Pull off the mushroom type male & female clips on the dash side panel using a flat blade screw driver. Disconnect the bonnet release cable etc.

The rest are a few 10mm bolts & screws that hold it together.

Once you have managed that remove the speedo, pull the speedo cable off the back & remove the electrical connectors.

Then pull the dash towards you slightly. The tricky part is the dash loom which is secured to the back of the dash by screws. With the dash forward you should be able to see where its secured by looking through the windscreen from the outside.

You could tape or bag the nuts or screws to the various panels so at least you know where they came from.

You will only need a 10mm, 12mm socket.
A philips screw driver & a flat blade screw driver to do this job.

Ticky
Old 11 August 2008, 07:34 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ticky
Done this a few times.

Drop the complete steering column down via 2 x 12mm bolts, plus removing the plastic couling cover. This will help you pull the dash out.

Pull the front trim panel at the front of the dash by the screen, unplug the small sensor on the left hand side. Now look forward to see 2 x 10mm bolts which secure the dash to the front body panel.

Remove the glove box by the hinges (philips screws)
Like wise with the centre console, radio, ashtray & gear console.
Remove the heater control unit & unplug the electrical connectors.
The gearknob screws off and pull the lever gaitor slightly back to reveal some more screws.
Pull off the mushroom type male & female clips on the dash side panel using a flat blade screw driver. Disconnect the bonnet release cable etc.

The rest are a few 10mm bolts & screws that hold it together.

Once you have managed that remove the speedo, pull the speedo cable off the back & remove the electrical connectors.

Then pull the dash towards you slightly. The tricky part is the dash loom which is secured to the back of the dash by screws. With the dash forward you should be able to see where its secured by looking through the windscreen from the outside.

You could tape or bag the nuts or screws to the various panels so at least you know where they came from.

You will only need a 10mm, 12mm socket.
A philips screw driver & a flat blade screw driver to do this job.

Ticky
Great write up mate,will help me alot

One thing I wanted to ask is - does the whole dashboard have to be removed as 1 piece or is it in 2 halves as in top and bottom ?
Old 11 August 2008, 07:46 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Its all 1 piece mate. Done mine last month. Give yourself plenty of time to do it and you will be fine
Old 11 August 2008, 09:03 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

As above its only 1 part.
But as a whole there are 8 sections of trim that need to be removed.

The main reason for removing the remainder sections is that there are hidden bolts & screws that secure the part of the dash that you need to change.

Forgot to add, once youve remove the radio & centre console you will see 2 brackets that secure to the body of the transmisson tunnel, just undo the nuts/bolts & pull forward. There should be a few more screws behind the glove box that secure the dash to the main crossbar.