Steering Wheel Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2008, 12:20 PM
Evo Unknown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Wheel Questions...

Hi.

All the cars I've previously owned have either had an aftermarket steering wheel already fitted, or I was happy to leave the standard one where it was...

...but this time around I really want to fit a MOMO wheel or similar to my STI type R.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and how easy it was to do for someone with average mechanical skills? Is the airbag removal a big problem? Does a MOMO wheel or similar always have to have the correct boss kit fitted first? And are there any disadvantages to fitting the smallest diameter wheel possible (i.e. 280mm)?

Any advice or pointing me to a previous thread would be very much welcomed...

Thanks,

Mark (Type R, Version IV)
Old 05 June 2008, 10:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, there are a lot of questions there, and a few different answers

Firstly, yes the Momo wheel WILL require it's correct boss.
And getting one for a Scoob is NOT easy. Try Alyn at ASPerformance, I'm pretty sure he knows a bit about it.

Airbag removal is not to be treated lightly. They can injure you if they go off, but if you disconnect the battery and wait half an hour, it's not likely to go off. As for leaving it off............

Have you thought about insurance? Your insurance company MAY not like the idea, but I've also heard of those who DID like it as it would save money in the event of an airbag-releasing collision

In any case, you WOULD need to inform them......

Fitting a smaller wheel , esp that small, isn't always a good idea. The car's steering rack and wheel are a bit like gears. Mess with the ratio and you could find it harder to steer.
Also, the control stalks are set in length for the larger wheel. If you fit one much smaller, they become a nuisance and harder to reach easily, or get in the way.

My lad has a Clio 197 with a very small wheel as standard. His car's stalks are the same size as my SONY steering column remote

Another option for you to consider is the fitting of a slightly smaller wheel from a newage STi. They look nice too And retain the airbag, so your insurance won't care.

Alcazar
Old 05 June 2008, 02:46 PM
Evo Unknown
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that alcazar; loads of useful information there and plenty to think about.

I hadn't even thought about the insurance angle in all honesty (not my strong point )

Certainly don't want to negatively alter the steering of the car - that would defeat the whole purpose etc...

Regards,

Mark.
Old 07 June 2008, 02:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A smaller steering wheel will help develop some bigger arm muscles.....

LOL

DunxC

P.S. A very comprehensive relpy by alcazar !