Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Cost of miscelaneous items rant!

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2008, 08:46 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost of miscelaneous items rant!

I thought Id just have a rant at the price of stupid little things at the moment.

To put into perspective: I bought a set of 3x Prosport Electric Stepper Gauges with all bits required; extra warning lights; sandwich plate; delivered from Singapore (in 3 days) at a cost of £118. Good.

Last night I bought from Ebay the latest in golf putter technology by Nike USA, the ICM 2020 putter made from graphite; bits of carbon etc etc & all precesion engineered, a beautiful bit of golfing kit for £66 delivered. Good.

Now I got to various UK shops websites looking for a triple gauge dash pod. Made from fibre glass or plastic moulding (the one Im looking at has recently had a bad review on here about from a memeber about fit & finish! ) & Im looking at over £80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats that all about....!!

Im not a cheapskate or anything but I wont pay for something that doesnt warrant the cost IMO, is it just me or do others on here share my opinion?
Old 30 May 2008, 07:49 PM
AdamNI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Felt the same way the other day, i nudged a wall the other day while turning, the foglight cover on my blob took the brunt of it, and was a real mess so on the way home i called in to price a replacement. £70+vat for a painted one, it's a flimsy bit of plastic. Luckily after a bit of cleaning all you can see is few scratches.

Get some pics up when you fit them mate, I've looked at these myself. Hard to complain at the price when that amount would struggle to buy 1 Defi.

Nice machine by the way.
Old 01 June 2008, 08:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Your problem is volume.

Gauges, putters, cameras, hi-fi's etc are all made in HUGE quantities, shipped all over the world.

Your gauge POD, on the other hand is Subaru specific, and, worse still, model specific. Therefore made in relatively tiny quantities.

Further, it's made in a cottage industry, maybe by hand, certainly no huge die presses.

Therefore, you have to pay for someone's knowhow to design it, then someone's knowhow to build it.

Support the little guy, bite the bullet and get one............you know you want to

Alcazar
Old 02 June 2008, 02:03 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
Your problem is volume.

Gauges, putters, cameras, hi-fi's etc are all made in HUGE quantities, shipped all over the world.

Your gauge POD, on the other hand is Subaru specific, and, worse still, model specific. Therefore made in relatively tiny quantities.

Further, it's made in a cottage industry, maybe by hand, certainly no huge die presses.

Therefore, you have to pay for someone's knowhow to design it, then someone's knowhow to build it.

Support the little guy, bite the bullet and get one............you know you want to

Alcazar

Well said mate! Youv persuaded me
Old 02 June 2008, 04:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rickya
Well said mate! Youv persuaded me
LOL .

Mine came from Scoobymania, for my classic, and I've been happy with it