Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Gauge Fitting Instructions Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2007, 05:57 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Fitting Instructions Needed...

....looking to fit some gauges to my car in the very near future, they are 60mm and I have the central pod that replaces the clock & 60mm A-Pillar trim.

Details on the car/gauges are:

- MY07 Impreza 2.5 UK STi
- Autogauge 60mm Stealth Range of Gauges

Central Pod:

- Oil Temp & LMA Sender Unit Adaptor (M18*1.5 to M10*1)
- Oil Pressure & LMA Oil Pressure Gauge Remote T-Piece Kit (300mm Long Pipe to suit Subaru M10*1 Sender Unit Fitting)
- Exhaust Gas Temperature
- Defi 60mm Wavy Top Pod

A-Pillar Pod

- Boost Pressure

I am planning to fit them in the near future, just that I've only ever fitted a Boost Gauge to a Classic Impreza before... and the Newage & Oil Temp and Oil Pressure gauges are a wee bit different, so wouldnt mind a wee bit of an 'idiots guide' for me to work through.. a wee link to pics/write-up about fitting the oil gauges would be brilliant, the boost one I'm pretty confident that I can manage myself.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 November 2007, 06:08 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Hope this is some use

WRXtra
Old 02 December 2007, 12:08 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted exactly the same gauges and adaptors to my 2005 STI, so it will be just about the same (I guess)

I'm not going to do a full write up, but I will give a couple of tips.

Oil pressure: Remove the alternator bolts and swing the alternator up and out of the way, this will give much better access to the existing sensor location. Remove the existing sensor and fit it to the LMA adaptor block. Fit the LMA fitting into the engine block and then fit and route the hose up and in front of the inlet manifold. I fastened my LMA block (using cable ties) to the pipes on the LHS (between the header tanks and throttle body). It's nice and secure there and the wire route from the new sensor is easy...it runs down the back of the inlet manifold and across the rear engine brace to the bulkhead. You will need to extend the existing wires for the OEM sensor to reach the new location.

Oil Temp: The blank for this is located on the block. To see it, look down between the front of the intercooler and the inlet manifold on the LHS (as you look at it from the front of the car). The plug is a VSR" type (Allen key type socket required for removal) Remove the intercooler....bit of a bugger to refit (well mine was), but it makes access oh so much easier. Make sure you have a good socket for the plug .... it's as tight as ****. Remove the plug and then fit the new temp sensor to the adaptor and then fit this in place of the plug you have removed. NOTE: I used a "thru" socket for this as it allows the wires to stick out of the top and doesn't twist them at all. Again, run the wires across the rear engine brace and to the bulkhead.

All wires follow the same route across the rear engine brace and then through the bulkhead via a grommet that comes through just near the clutch pedal assembly. There's also a very handy earth point on the bulkhead right next to the engine brace, and right on the wire route.

Power for the gauges was taken from the existing supply to the clock (which I've had to remove to fit the pod.

There are a couple of guides online if you do some searching, but to be quite honest, it's pretty straight forward once you get access to the areas you need.

Remember to refit the alternator and intercooler.....you're gonna need them!

Not perfect, but hope it helps.

Oh yeah......extend the wires on the temp sensor before fitting it.......it's much easier.
I used heat shrink on all the connections too.

Have fun.

Last edited by martyrobertsdj; 02 December 2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 17 December 2007, 04:59 PM
andy8301
Scooby Regular

Just got some Defi gauges (boost,oil temp and pressure) and not too keen on taking engine apart because i know it wont go back together. i was looking at one of them sandwich plates on flebay. Are they worth getting because they seem a lot easier to fit, or are they not?