Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Boots an inch in water! LEAKING

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2007, 05:44 PM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boots an inch in water! LEAKING

Went to go into the boot today and noticed its wet looked under the mat to find the wheel well about an inch in water.

As you look into the boot there is a wet patch either side on the front edge as though the rain is coming in through where the lights are but its been a lot of water in a short space of time. Then again we have had a lot of rain.

Where do the UK spec 99 4x4 turbos leak in the boot? Could it be the lights or would it be the boot seal which at quick inspection seems ok or is there anywhere else it can come in?

Car is a 99 T Reg UK spec 4x4 Turbo...
Old 24 November 2007, 07:54 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Post Taillights leaking....

I found my RB5 to be the same matey although i hadnt as much water in the boot as you....the tail lights in these cars are prone to leaking!!

Its aa case of taking them out, cleaning up the seals and re-sealing them with a suitable sealant, although most people dont recommend silicone!!

Kevin
Old 24 November 2007, 07:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

OK, I've had THREE leaks in mine's boot (98 UK car), so let's look at them in order of likelihood:

1. The lights are prone to leaking across the TOPS of each unit.

If you remove the boot trim behind the lights after the car has been wet, you'll SEE water on the rear of the light if this is where it's getting in. It then travels along the "valleys" in the boot floor, wets the boot mat and ends up in the wheel well. Check also the jack/tools storage area on the n/s of the boot. Mine's was full of water there too About three inches of it

What to do if it's coming in there: Remove the light unit by undoing the five nuts behind it, pull hard at it and push from inside to "break" it away from the remaining seal. Remove traces of old seal from light unit and car bodywork, re-seat it in a bead of new seal bought from caravan dealer. You want non-setting mastic, from a company called CARAFAX, or similar. DON'T be tempted to use silicone The correct stuff does not set, and comes in a tube that can be used in a silicone gun. Mine's was light grey, but it comes in black too.

2. The boot seal is damaged/not properly seated.

This is the rubber gasket around the boot lip. Mine was badly seated along the front edge. I pulled it off, placed CARAFAX under it and reseated it. Job's a good 'un.

3. The (lower) edge of the windscreen leaks.

This is a complete bummer. It was AWFUL to find, (rear seat and parcel shelf out, get someone to spray car with water, while you sit where back seat WAS, look along bottom edge of screen, (and sides and top if not bottom). If it's leaking, you'll see TINY quantiities of water oozing under whichever edge(s) is/are shot.

It showed up in that my car was CONSTANTLY full of condensation, the parcel shelf was damp, the rear seat back was damp, the rear seat squab was sometimes damp, and water was visible in the places you've described in the boot, on the boot mat, and also in the spare wheel well. LOTS of it there! I found it first when a rear seat passenger placed an A4 notepad on the rear parcel shelf, and when I removed it the next day, it was wet through.

Curing it is a case of having the rear screen removed and re-seated, NOT cheap. I was lucky in that a mate is a windscreen fitter.......

I then had the boot mat, trim panels, rear parcel shelf and seats inside for two days to dry, and stood a dehumidifier in the car for two days. It removed over 5 litres of water!!!! THEN I had to treat all the items that had been damp with OUST! It's cured now, but what a clat!

HTH, Alcazar
Old 25 November 2007, 11:25 AM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

4th point of entry is the spoiler bolts can leak
Old 25 November 2007, 11:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by exvaux
4th point of entry is the spoiler bolts can leak
Yep, forgot that, mine don't as I sealed 'em with Sika-flex.

If it's those, remove spoiler, place ring of Sika-flex around bolt holes, replace spoiler and retighten.
Old 25 November 2007, 11:48 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

well documented Alcazar
Old 26 November 2007, 09:38 AM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Thanks alcazar thats a great help.

I think i will pickup some carafax and do the lights, boot seal and then even the spoiler with sika-flex and see how i go. If it still leaks i will remove the seats and get someone to spray the boot with water.

Out of interest if it is the back window how much are we talking to have it removed and resealed? Is there anyone on here that can do it or knows someone who can do it who is loac to dorset?

Will keep you all updated.

Looks like halfords does Carafax - Carafax IDL99 Sealant - White from Halfords Price £1.49

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2007, 11:54 AM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

How easy is it to remove the back seats and parcel shelf?

I may do that and get someone to spray water on the back before i go mad and Carafax everything up..
Old 26 November 2007, 12:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikecoutanche
How easy is it to remove the back seats and parcel shelf?

I may do that and get someone to spray water on the back before i go mad and Carafax everything up..
Firstly, before I forget, it's the rear screen area that wants sprayed if you go this route.

Personally, I'd look at the possible problems in this order, (judging on where you say the damp patch is):

Spoiler, rear lights, boot seal, rear screen.

I'd NOT start removing seats etc unless there's evidence of damp inside the car, on the seats or the rear parcel shelf. With the amount of water you describe, if it was coming in there, you'd have some evidence. Try wiping the rear seats, and parcel shelf with clean, dry paper towel. Great damp detector. And ask yourself if the car is constantly steamed up inside when left after driving it? Mine was running in condensation within half an hour of parking it up.

Taking the rear seats and parcel shelf out isn't too bad, around a half hour's work, look, or search in ICE for instructions, I've posted some in there recently in a thread about rear 6x9 speakers, IIRC. (Found it, here: https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/6472...cel-shelf.html )

A call to a local windscreen repairer will get you a quote for removing and re-sealing the rear screen.

My mate, who did mine, and who has been a fitter for years, advised strongly against just trying to seal it. Just in case anyone offers that.

Alcazar
Old 26 November 2007, 01:59 PM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Is it difficult to get to the spoiler bolts?

Much to worry about removing it to seal and bolt back on and is Sika-flex the best thing or what else can be used?

Cheers
Old 26 November 2007, 03:23 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my wrx was leakin from the vents behind the rear bumper and the wll at the side of the light are was full of water,the petrol capside.
Old 26 November 2007, 04:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Is it difficult to get to the spoiler bolts?

Much to worry about removing it to seal and bolt back on and is Sika-flex the best thing or what else can be used?

Cheers
Spoiler bolts: there are three per side, two are obvious and the third is under the rubber conical bumpstop on the boot lid, which just pulls off.
Once they are undone, the spoiler just lifts off. I put a RING of Sika flex around each bolt hole, about 1cm wide by 1cm thick, then seated the spoiler and retightened the bolts.

You need a socket and extension bar to remove the nuts.

Yes, use Sika-flex or similar, available from good carshops, bodywork repairers, car paint stockist etc, or even use your Carafax.
DON'T be tempted to shortcut and use silicone.

Alcazar
Old 26 November 2007, 04:32 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

if it is your screen, don't be tempted to try to remove your rear screen yourself as it will break and you will have to go through your insurance and pay £50-ish.
Old 26 November 2007, 05:06 PM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

Nope wouldnt dare will get someone in then its there fault.
Old 26 November 2007, 05:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
if it is your screen, don't be tempted to try to remove your rear screen yourself as it will break and you will have to go through your insurance and pay £50-ish.
Are you speaking from experience, there?

Of course, if the screen were to be accidentally broken, or vandalised, then £50 excess might be less than the quote for removal/replacement?

Alcazar
Old 26 November 2007, 07:04 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

no, i havent broke mine, what i was hinting at was............................................... ....
Old 26 November 2007, 07:56 PM
davesti330
Scooby Regular

I had enough water in my boot to drown in and that was caused my rear wash/wipe. Water was dripping from the one way valve which is by the wiper motor in the boot. Might be worth checking that aswell
Old 26 November 2007, 09:53 PM
mikecoutanche
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong but I dont think i have a rear wiper!
Old 27 November 2007, 11:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong but I dont think i have a rear wiper!
Not if it's standard UK classic. MY UK classic, however, does have one

Alcazar
Old 27 November 2007, 07:17 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alcazar
Not if it's standard UK classic. MY UK classic, however, does have one

Alcazar
How? Different rear screen and the wiper assembly etc from a WRX?

Some very good info on this thread. I'll have to get some of the sticky stuff mentioned above and redo my lights, I silicon from Wilkinsons

They don't leak as bad as they used to though, I got about 5 pints of water out of one of the rear footwells Not to mention the IIRC shed load of water in the spare wheel well and down the sides in the boot.

Micky
Old 27 November 2007, 09:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by mickywrx
How? Different rear screen and the wiper assembly etc from a WRX?

Micky
Yep, bought as a "kit" from GradeA, rear screen with hole in, wiper motor and arm, washer pump and bottle and tubing, fittings for wiper, all from a WRX, wiper stalk with rear wash-wipe from a UK wagon. £200 the lot.

A mate took the rear screen out and replaced it with the one with a hole, and I did the rest.

Home made wiring linked into the car's loom thanks to a copy of the Subaru wiring diagram I was given.

Alcazar
Old 03 December 2007, 08:38 AM
sjwdavies
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the detailed write up Alcazar