Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

painting dash

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2007, 02:05 PM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting dash

Im really after some help here. My Newage has a black mark where an air freshner leaked and rotted away the silver paint. Im thinking of re-spraying the entire centre console gloss black. Is it as simple as removing all the trim then spraying? I could really do with a guide on how to do it? im begging here asits doing me in and im not paying cash for a new surround!!
Old 08 September 2007, 09:21 PM
urbanhawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just read your post and the simple answer is yes you can repaint plastics.
i work in plastics industry and painting plastics for car interior and electrical so hope the following helps:-
theres no simple answer to colour matching to exact colour other than matching from a swatch, so dont expect it to look exactly original.
the second point is it will only look as good as your painting skills.
for work like this an air brush will give you best finish assuming areas are less than an inch and a half wide.
firstly you will need to wet and dry with around p800 to 1000, then wipe making sure there are no fibres on the surface.
heat the plastic with a hairdryer or heat gun making sure its constantly moving, but dont overheat, so the plastic is quite warm to touch, then apply your light first coat. do not apply to thick!. repeat this process of warming and light coats 3 or 4 times. final sealing isnt needed for black but can help with silvers from rubbing. good luck and practice first