Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Anyone have this/seen this track day roll bar for GC from Safety Devices? No holes?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 08:12 PM
Racer5
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have this/seen this track day roll bar for GC from Safety Devices? No holes?

I searched but only found a single mention of this kit.

Check it out on nasioc http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...53#post9413753

It seems nobody in the US has one of these...

Have you seen this kit?

"Found this at safe drives website. Made by Safety Devices in the UK. Says it's for the GC 4 door or 2 door. "This unit is collapsible, foldable and requires no drilling for installation. Go to the track, set it up in no time and take it out when you are done!""

Have you seen this kit? Got an opinion?
Old 05 April 2005, 08:14 PM
Racer5
Scooby Newbie

Also found it in thread.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=393568
Old 05 April 2005, 10:39 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Hi i have one in mine but ive welded it in rather than bolt in it in but we use our car for the track ,also we are soon to be getting the front section to go with it.

The quality is very good and i believe they have a good name for themselves.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=394421

R.B
Old 06 April 2005, 03:04 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have this kit in my car and, yes, there are no holes. I put it in for track days and take it out again afterwards - takes about 40 minutes to put in.

The main hoop behind the driver sits on the internal sills and is then braced across the bottom from side to side with another tube - I have two fire extinguishers fitted here as well, and at the top and bottom on both sides by tubing that bolts on to a vertical tube that connects the rear top mount (top hat in the US) and the bottom rear seat belt mounting (from memory) on each side.

This latter bit I leave in the car permanently as it's the most difficult bit to fit and as the back seat goes in with it still in there anyway. The diagonal cross barces are the other difficult bit to fit as you can usually get any 3 of the 4 bolts in easily, but the 4th is a nightmare. However, I remember an old trick from fitting full on cages into rallycars and that is to have a length of rope or washing line - loop it around the diagonal bar and round the bottom tube and then stick a large spanner through it and begin twisting - this will pull the final joint into line really easily. Works well for me and the weight increase is largely balanced out by the removal of the back seat, spare wheel, jack, etc on track.

My only complaint would be that the lapbelts of the 4 point harnesses are attached to the bolt at the back of the seat runners and this restricts the backward movement of the seat by about an inch. If you're under 5'10" or so it won't matter, but at 6'2" I normally have the seat all the way back and so find I'm not in a perfect position, but you get used to it.

Edited to say that i've just looked at your link and you can see most of what I've said in the photos , and even a cut and paste of one of my earlier posts - spooky .

As for the collapsible comments on nasioc - that's a cheap shot as they just mean removable really. Once this is in and torqued up properly it's not going anywhere, yes, it's not welded in but it's a load better than relying on the GC roof to hold up.....

Last edited by Fat Boy; 06 April 2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06 April 2005, 10:18 PM
Racer5
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Fat Boy]

My only complaint would be that the lapbelts of the 4 point harnesses are attached to the bolt at the back of the seat runners and this restricts the backward movement of the seat by about an inch. If you're under 5'10" or so it won't matter, but at 6'2" I normally have the seat all the way back and so find I'm not in a perfect position, but you get used to it.

QUOTE]

Sounds nice to me thanks Fat Boy.

Does it stiffen up the car at all when it's in?

Try bolting your belts to the stock lap belt location on the shell.
Old 07 April 2005, 09:56 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Racer5]
Originally Posted by Fat Boy

QUOTE]

Sounds nice to me thanks Fat Boy.

Does it stiffen up the car at all when it's in?

Try bolting your belts to the stock lap belt location on the shell.
Definitely as you have all that serious tubing cross braced across the top of the rear strut mounts so it acts like a serious top rear brace if nothing else.

Had a look at using the original seat belt mountings, but they didn't seem to come out so easily so, rather than mess anything up in that department, I stuck to the recommended location, but maybe next time.

By the way you can get them done in different colours - the guy who sold me mine ( black) also had a sonic blue one to match his P1.
Old 14 April 2005, 10:13 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

you need to speak to mike peck, he designed and patented this product.

he has a website which I think might be performancedrivers.co.uk, ask johnfelstead he knows for sure.

it is made by safety devices who are one of the leading makers of proper roll cages.

I should stress that it should not be used if driving without a crash helmet.

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2005, 02:36 PM
Carlos13
Scooby Regular

Safety Devices went into administration yesterday.

Anyone know where I can get one of these (or want to sell me theirs)?

TIA.