FREE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 11:37 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up FREE!!!

Free advice for anyone wanting to install one of those Lockwood dial kits
I've done two and all have gone OK, I have some good tips.

If I get enough interest I will post here.

Regards all,
Ricky.
Old 16 August 2004, 09:54 AM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Disclaimer
1. Set aside a couple of hours, it can be done inside 15mins if you know what you are doing, just be patient, the job is very easy but can be a little fiddly.
2. I cannot be held responsible whatsoever for any liability with this process, the below are TIPS only and should be treated as suggestions and advice ONLY.
3. Please read the official Lockwood instructions as well as these.
Dash Removal
4. Note your SPEEDO/REV calibration, before I fitted mine 60MPH was roughly equivalent to 3000rpm in top gear.
5. Adjust steering wheel (if you have adjustment) so it is at its lowest setting, makes for easier access.
6. Unscrew cowling shroud and remove, two screws at the top and two at the bottom.
7. Unscrew main dash.
8. GENTLY lift forward, the speedo cable is just a push fit, so you can either pull till it releases or better still gain access underneath and gently pull from dash, you may have to unscrew the bottom plastic dash parts for easier SPEEDO cable access.
9. The left hand side of the dash will now pull easily towards you, undo the electrical connector on this side (LHS).
10. There are two electrical connectors on the far side (RHS), gently unclip these, the larger one is easier to remove if you slide a flat blade screwdriver under the retention clip.
11. Dash will now come out.
Removal of Existing Dials
12. Take dash indoors and place on clean workplace, take a break, take your time.
13. Unclip plastic cowl, be gentle and be patient and then remove black facia.
14. Note SPEEDO “zero” should be around 0MPH  sometimes when calibrating you MAY have to zero at -5MPH or so.
15. GENTLY lift REV pointer over stop anticlockwise and mark “rest” position with a pencil on the white plastic, tap on the side of the plastic dash gently to get an accurate reading, usually this is around 200degrees or so, (top is 0deg, bottom is 180deg).
16. Now the clever bit, to remove the SPEEDO and REV dials use two teaspoons, hold as normal and put the top of the spoon (the bit where the sugar normally goes ;-)) under the pointer, do the same with the other spoon but 180degrees opposite.
17. Push GENTLY down on the spoon handles, pointers will come off.
18. There is a 10% chance the pointers will not come off, don’t force it, use a hairdryer to heat gently and have another go. If you pull the centre spindle out with the pointer the dial is wrecked  BE VERY CAREFUL.
Time Consuming Bit
19. The FUEL and TEMP pointers CANNOT be removed, don’t even attempt it…
20. The trick here is to cut the old black facia off using a very sharp blade gradually cutting. This is the most time consuming part, if it takes two hours each one then so be it, just don’t slip or you may cut yourself and/or wreck the dial.
Fitting of Lockwood Dials
21. Wash hands thoroughly and dry. White dials show up dirt! If you do get muck on them clean with soapy water only, they do scrub up well, don’t rub too hard though.
22. Easy bit now, replace all dials and don’t forget the black blanking parts for the FUEL and TEMP dials, matt side up.
23. Replace pointers on SPEEDO and REV dials noting calibration points, don’t push too hard though!
24. You may have to glue the REV “zero stop” in using a small amount of araldite rapid as usually the lockwood hole is slightly larger.
25. Fitting as they say is the reverse of removal 
Fitting Back Into Dash
26. Best to fit SPEEDO cable on after the dash has been screwed back on, this is done from underneath, just line up and push on.
27. Give it a test drive, you may have to “adjust” the pointers for total accuracy, normally first attempt is good enough.
28. Make yourself a cuppa and give yourself a “pat on the back”. Your dash will look really smart, especially at night and you would have saved yourself £75-£100 or so fitting charge!
Old 06 May 2005, 10:49 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb LOCKWOOD DIAL INSTRUCTIONS

Disclaimer
1. Set aside a couple of hours, it can be done inside 15mins if you know what you are doing, just be patient, the job is very easy but can be a little fiddly.
2. I cannot be held responsible whatsoever for any liability with this process, the below are TIPS only and should be treated as suggestions and advice ONLY.
Dash Removal
4. Note your SPEEDO/REV calibration, before I fitted mine 60MPH was roughly equivalent to 3000rpm in top gear.
5. Adjust steering wheel (if you have adjustment) so it is at its lowest setting, makes for easier access.
6. Unscrew cowling shroud and remove, two screws at the top and two at the bottom.
7. Unscrew main dash.
8. GENTLY lift forward, the speedo cable is just a push fit, so you can either pull till it releases or better still gain access underneath and gently pull from dash, you may have to unscrew the bottom plastic dash parts for easier SPEEDO cable access.
9. The left hand side of the dash will now pull easily towards you, undo the electrical connector on this side (LHS).
10. There are two electrical connectors on the far side (RHS), gently unclip these, the larger one is easier to remove if you slide a flat blade screwdriver under the retention clip.
12. Take dash indoors and place on clean workplace, take a break, take your time.
14. Note SPEEDO “zero” should be around 0MPH  sometimes when calibrating you MAY have to zero at -5MPH or so.
15. GENTLY lift REV pointer over stop anticlockwise and mark “rest” position with a pencil on the white plastic, tap on the side of the plastic dash gently to get an accurate reading, usually this is around 200degrees or so, (top is 0deg, bottom is 180deg).
16. Now the clever bit, to remove the SPEEDO and REV dials use two teaspoons, hold as normal and put the top of the spoon (the bit where the sugar normally goes ;-)) under the pointer, do the same with the other spoon but 180degrees opposite.
18. There is a 10% chance the pointers will not come off, don’t force it, use a hairdryer to heat gently and have another go. If you pull the centre spindle out with the pointer the dial is wrecked  BE VERY CAREFUL.
Time Consuming Bit
20. The trick here is to cut the old black facia off using a very sharp blade gradually cutting. This is the most time consuming part, if it takes two hours each one then so be it, just don’t slip or you may cut yourself and/or wreck the dial.
21. Wash hands thoroughly and dry. White dials show up dirt! If you do get muck on them clean with soapy water only, they do scrub up well, don’t rub too hard though.
22. Easy bit now, replace all dials and don’t forget the black blanking parts for the FUEL and TEMP dials, matt side up.
23. Replace pointers on SPEEDO and REV dials noting calibration points, don’t push too hard though!
24. You may have to glue the REV “zero stop” in using a small amount of araldite rapid as usually the lockwood hole is slightly larger.
Fitting Back Into Dash
26. Best to fit SPEEDO cable on after the dash has been screwed back on, this is done from underneath, just line up and push on.
27. Give it a test drive, you may have to “adjust” the pointers for total accuracy, normally first attempt is good enough.
28. Make yourself a cuppa and give yourself a “pat on the back”. Your dash will look really smart, especially at night and you would have saved yourself £75-£100 or so fitting charge!
Old 06 May 2005, 10:58 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any pics?
Old 01 June 2005, 09:32 AM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Sam,

No sorry, next time I will,
Regards,
R.

Originally Posted by SamUK
any pics?
Old 26 June 2005, 11:58 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueyzfr1
Disclaimer
Dash Removal
7. Unscrew main dash.
Time Consuming Bit
Fitting Back Into Dash
Nice write up m8, I have just fitted the white dials to my Sti 3.

look great, however for some reason my temp gauge is now screwed and when removing the needles the spindle cam out with the rev counter, I was gentle with it and tried heating it slightly and it still pulled the spindle out, so just be very very careful fitting these.

I now need to find another set of clocks and attempt it all over again
Old 08 July 2005, 07:13 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes this is a fiddly job, I have done three and all have been OK.
Talking to other people would indicate 1 in 10 installs ends up in a wrecked dial :-(

You can get a professional to do it but you pay your money and take your choice...

If I have been of any help to anyone then great

R.
Old 09 September 2007, 05:33 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

Talking

bttt for those that havn't seen!