Help needed with dismantling interior

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2004, 10:52 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help needed with dismantling interior

HEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

Ok maybe I am being stupid but let me explain.

Problem No 1

I am trying to change the LED's behind my instruments on MY97. At present I have all the surround removed from around dials and the 4 screws that hold the instrument pod in are removed. The pod is very loose however it will not come out. It feels like there are wires holding it back however I cannot get to the back to unplug them. Also do I have an elctronic speedo or is there a speedo cable too ??

Problem No 2

I will also change the bulbs behind the heater controls. I have removed the ***** and switches and the unit is loose. However, on the back of the dial which directs the air through different vents there appears to be a wire / rod which prevents me getting this out too.

Has anyone any advice for either of these problems before I take a hammer to the dash as I am getting inpatient and my bleeding knuckles are making a mess on my interior

Any advice would be more than welcome
Old 23 July 2004, 06:19 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate firstly you've got a speedo cable. it wont come out because holding the speedo are clips for the wiring. i thinnk there are 2 big white clips 1 on each side, all you do to these is press the lever thingy on them and pull them off, then on the right hand side there are two smaller connecter thingies 1 is blue i think and the other white. finaly on the other side ther is also another white connecter that should be it i think,then all you have to do is pull the unit out the cable comesoff it self because it isn't long enough. i hope that helps and you can figure out my very technical lingo
Old 23 July 2004, 10:11 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done this on a MY97 and there is NO speedo drive cable!
The loom is in hooks on the top outer edge IIRC If you lift the loom out it should give you more room to get you hand in. I had to push one end into the hole it had come out of to get access.
There are 3 plugs (1 big one on either end and a little one in the middle) Get the end ones off and you should beable to pull the cluster out further to get to the middle one

For the heater surround you have to undo the surround from the controls (2 screws pointing up (or was it down?) one on either end) I had to use a socket with a screwdriver bit in as it is very tight on space! That should give you access

I think they must have kids with extremely small hands build these bits in the factory
Old 24 July 2004, 11:04 PM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys.

Update . . . . . . .

I have now got blue light behind my heater controls and the cigarette lighter yipppeeee

However, I haven't tried the instruments again yet, also I am stuck with the clock. I have taken this to bits and cannot find an LED. I reckon the only way to do this is by putting in some blue film - would this work ?