Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Scuff this for a lark...

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2001, 05:13 PM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys.

Got a couple of scuff marks on interior panels (doors especially and in the boot where you scrape the plastic as things go in and out).

Had a chips away bloke to do a couple of dents, but didn't seerm to have a clue about the interior.

Anyone done it themselves/can recommend any products/methods?

Ta

David Blows
Old 26 June 2001, 08:52 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

David,

Tough one this, it's fairly difficult to get rid of scuffs and marks. One thing you could try is the good 'ol back to black or Simoniz Cockpit Shine. This should get rid of the lighter coloured "scuffed" look to the plastic, but I'm afraid if it's physically damaged, IE, chunks taken out, then your screwed. Unless of course anyone else has an idea!

Karlos
Old 27 June 2001, 12:40 AM
RaymondH
Scooby Regular

I improved some of the scuffs with Simonize Black Chrome which I have had for ages and don't know if it's still available but no doubt Halfords will have something similar. It's a thick black liquid and is meant for refreshing black plastic rear bumpers etc. although I used it on my wiper arms to blacken them again after getting polish on them I put a little on a cloth and gently wiped it on to the scratch and almost immediately wiped it off again. Because the surface has been scratched the textures are different and the scratched bit seems to absorb it more than the unscratched bit (hope that aint too technical ) so it darkens the scratch without having much effect on the rest - provided that you wipe it off again quickly enough. More than one application helps. It isn't perfect but it's a big improvement and if you want to try it find a bit that's out of sight to experiment on first.
Old 27 June 2001, 09:52 AM
David Blows
Scooby Regular

Thanks Karlos - thought that might be the case when the Chips Away guy turned his nose up at the thought of doing the job.

I've tried the Cockpit Shine route, but you're right - it doesn't properly hide the marks.

I thought it *might* be possible to paint them; not perfect, but better than that scuffed white-on-gray look I've got in a couple of places.

Strange, really - I would have thought this was a fairly common problem that had a solution other than replacing any damaged panels.

Ho hum...

David Blows
Old 28 June 2001, 01:45 AM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi David,

You could try these guys not used them for a long time and I'm not sure if the phone number is current but they used to be very good not cheap tho.
Profusion 01438 840503
Used by lots of car dealers to fix trim scuff,mobile phone installation holes etc.

Good luck

Steve