F.A.O. andy p.....MOMO wheel on 97MY.

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2001, 12:37 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Andy/anyone,
Subaru technical has told me that I will not be able to take off my naf 97MY Airbagged steering wheel and replace it with a MOMO airbagged one !
I was told that the splines/taper are different and the airbag connector is also different.
This is contrary to other notes I have seen on this BBS.
I would have thought that the airbag connection issue is a bit easier for me because I have the circular disc thinga ma jig with supplied with the MOMO. This has three electrical connections. One, which I presume attaches to the column and the other two on the circular bearing thingy attach to the airbag and horn!

Any scope on this would be helpful.

Ta, Jacko.

Old 17 May 2001, 01:15 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Question

ah, just re-read your old post - it's not clear if your MOMO wheel is off a Subaru, i.e. OE fit on UK MY98 (or was it 99?) onwards and on WRX/STi earlier. I managed to get a UK MY00 wheel off a crash damaged car and fit it directly to a UK MY95, so I know that fits! The splines are the same so no problem there, but the airbag connector is not. However, joining wires is easy, machining splines is not.

As I've said, I'm only assuming a MY97 is the same as a MY95 since the wheels look the same. If the MOMO wheel is not a Subaru OE fit item then I'm sorry I can't really help :-(

Cheers,

Andy
Old 17 May 2001, 04:04 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Andy,
yep the MOMO is from an STI v5, so I can only assume that it is the same as the UK.
The real problem seems to be the wiring of the airbag.
When I got the steering wheel I also got the circular connector module that rotates. It is the connectors (3 on the rotarty module and two from the airbag)that I am worried about. Should I discard the rotary thingy and hardwire the airbag, or should will the single connector from the rotary thingy fit straight onto the existing connector???
To make it simpler, what do the colour coding of the wires mean, ie. positives negatives etc????
That is the real area of concern that the bl**dy thing goes off

Cheers, Jacko.
Old 17 May 2001, 08:16 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i think the rotary thing is the bit that allows contact as you turn the wheel if it is then it has to be fitted a certain way coz it has a wire running through it that will only do a certain number of turns each way. if it is fitted wrong as you get to full lock it will break bringing on the air bag light
Old 21 May 2001, 08:36 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Smile

TOP.
AndyP, have you got any wiring schematics of the airbag assy?
Need to know which colour wire does what????

Cheers Mate. Jacko.