Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Help ! Problem with Omori-Turbo-Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2000, 08:35 AM
Dan Hack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed an Omori turbo gauge (MCO-016) this weekend, and have the following problem: under acceleration and above ca. 0,2 kg/cm2 pressure, the gauge produces a rather loud clicking noise, which is very disturbing. I don't think this is normal. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

(I have connected the gauge to the spare outlet on the engine of my MY99. First without the provided T-connector. At that point, the needle fluttered and the clicking was much louder. I then inserted the T-piece
in line (the oulet to the gauge has a smaller diameter, which probalby produces some backpressure therefore stabilizing the needle) and closed the remaining outlet with a plug. The fluttering disappeared, the noise didn't.)

Question: Do I have to insert the T-piece into an existing line (if yes which one), or how do I get rid of the noise?

I know some of you guys use Omori gauges so I hope someone can help me.

Dan

PS: apart from this problem, the gauges are great and omori do direct order via EMS, check out their webpage
Old 13 November 2000, 10:16 AM
ristt
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

The answer to you question is yes.

First thing about the flutter. The T-connector should have a little brass damper in it. Essentially this small restriction smooths out the pressure pulses present in the mainfold. End result a stable needle to read.

My conclusion for the clicking. Manufacture fault. How do I know? I pulled the expensive thing to bits. It took 6 weeks to get that one let alone a replacement.

In my case it appears that there was too much play in the shaft of the needle. The manifold pulses under boost would vibrate the shaft. Not enough to see the needle fluttering but enough to produce clicking. A small amount of fine grease on the shaft eliminated the clicking.

I don't recommend my solution. It can result in a sticky needle and by the time I finished playing around the gauge calibration was out.

Try either a series of brass restrictors of various sizes or get a replacement. I suggest the latter.

Bye
Raymond
Old 13 November 2000, 10:48 AM
Dan Hack
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Raymond, but as you said, they are rather slow in delivery an it pisses me of having to drive with a hole in the dashboard for the next 6 weeks or so. Besides, I installed another one in a friends car, and it does the same noise, so it's probably a construction problem and a replacement won't change it.

I guess I'll try it with a brass restrictor. Do you know where to get suitable ones and where to place them (close to the gauge or close to the engine outlet)?

Cheers,
Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hack (edited 13 November 2000).]
Old 14 November 2000, 07:13 AM
Dan Hack
Scooby Regular

Back on top, anyone else got an idea?

Dan
Old 15 November 2000, 06:55 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Dan

No help with the guage - but how you going with my old Scoobysport backbox?!

See-Ya
Richard
Old 15 November 2000, 07:19 AM
Dan Hack
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dowser:
<B>Hi Dan

No help with the guage - but how you going with my old Scoobysport backbox?!

See-Ya
Richard[/quote]

Hi Richard

The box is just doing fine on my car! The sound of it is great, as you know for yourself, but perhaps a bit loud for old conservative Switzerland (well, at least you do have snow). I hope you don't miss it too much.

Thanks again and keep me informed if you have something else to sell (for the Impreza I mean) one of these days.

CU, Dan