Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Folding rear seats ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2000, 05:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I think this is a stupid question, but it has to be asked as its driving me mad not knowing!
I've got a 95WRX 4 door, having previously owned hatchbacks only. I assumed the saloon doesn't have folding rear seats and after having a look I still think this is the case. Then I read a thread that said a difference on Terzo's is that they don't come with folding rear seats. So does that mean other 4 doors do?
I don't have an owners manual so I can't check. I can't find any catches/levers to pull but if there are any, where can I find them?
Or am I just stupid (don't answer that)

Cheers

Justin
Old 10 August 2000, 05:41 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong, but here goes ...

My UK 4-door has folding rear seats. The seats are 'folded' by pulling on a little tab that sticks out of the seat back, which undoes a catch allowing the seat to fold easily forward. There is one on each side. The top part of the seat (headrest bumps, etc.) is fixed, and the lower part 'folds'. It may be that the tabs have come off on your car?

However, I am fairly sure that 4-door STi cars have a fixed rear bulkhead, and hence no folding seats. This applies to the UK RB5 too. Maybe your car (being a Jap import) doesn't have folding seats either? I'm sure anoher WRX owner can confirm/deny this .... RichieC?!?

Are the backs of the back seats (in the boot) carpeted (as on mine)? Or is there a metal panel there instead?

Hope that helps!

Andrew.
Old 12 August 2000, 06:46 AM
98RS
Scooby Newbie

hey, i have a question too, are the rear seats of the wagons(5 door) the same as the regular folding ones in the sedan/coupe? because i am looking at purchasing a set of seats from a MY00 5dr for my MY98 coupe, and i want to make sure the rear seats will fit.
thanks

PEACE
Ian
98RS

Old 12 August 2000, 11:11 AM
Mark Rowley
Scooby Newbie

Talking

My WRX 95MY does not have fold down rear seats. It probaly has something to do with the fact that the Japs don't share our Sunday pastime of going down the tip hence no need for fold down rear seats.

T.T.F.N
Mark
Old 13 August 2000, 04:29 PM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Justin,

You'll find that the early WRX's don't have folding rear seats. They can be easily removed though, 7 or 8 bolts I think, takes about 15mins.

Anyway It's a WRX why do you want folding seats???.

Muddy.
Old 13 August 2000, 05:08 PM
bernmc
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The UK models that have been tweaked by Prodrive (the official ones, not after-sales mods) tend to have the folding seats replaced by a solid rear bulkhead to add torsional stiffness to the chassis. Not sure about the greys.
Old 14 August 2000, 05:05 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

Muddy

I wanted to get 2 mountain bikes in the back, or some skis. Anyway, had a proper look this weekend and they definatly don't fold. The missus is a bit peeved now that we can't drive our bikes out of London for a ride (if you see what I mean) and suggested using a bike rack! Now I havn't seen that done and I don't want to either!
Could/should have got a wagon but that option wasn't available at the time. Maybe next time......

Justin