Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Failed Electric Windows

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2000, 09:12 PM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Went to wind down drivers window this AM & it went pearshaped, so that I ended up with the window at a strange angle, neither going up or down. Called Subaru Assistance & duly a bloke in a van turned up 90 mins later. Took trim off door & found that the bolts holding the winder motor to the interior door skin had come loose and moved causing winder ratchet to come off at the end, causing catastrophic failure of the mechanism. The metal that runs the window up & down is made of the same stuff that coke (tm) tins are, ie paper! It had become a total new shape, not similar to the original at all. Man in a van bent it back to vaguely resemble the original shape, put it all back in & disabled the motor. It is now permanently shut!

More a sort of FYI than help needed but anyone else out there had a similar occurance????

Obviously a warranty claim, but what are my chances of getting the whole internal door skin replaced as bolts holding winder have elongated the hole?

Thanks

James
Old 24 April 2000, 11:32 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Not quite the same problem... but window related. My MY99 has always had the dreaded "windows don't quite shut at high speed" syndrome. Complained at the last service and they commented that it was a weak point and that the regulator/motor tends to shift on its mountings. They re-fitted and now my drivers side closses OK. Should have thought to mention the passenger side as well!

So sounds like it's not a strong point! Still think that they go up and down like an old guy after 20 pints trying to climb several flights of stairs!

Good luck....

[This message has been edited by Mike Owen (edited 24-04-2000).]
Old 25 April 2000, 08:15 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Have you seen me after 20 pints? I couldn't even get past the front door!

My old MY98 5 door used to intermittently lose one of stereo channels (not always the same one) when you put the left rear window down. Hope the new owner has better luck at tracking it down than I did.

Still, better than the old crank handles.

Ken