Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

The cure for those annoying rattles is....

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 1999, 10:22 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm on about the 'ticking' and rattling from the door panels on uneven roads and when you turn corners. This is the second of my Imprezas (MY98 and MY00) that I appear to have cured so I thought I should share it.

1.Remove the door panels as per section 4.9.2.2 of SIDC FAQ (Audio).
2.Using one inch strips of gaffer tape, stick all the edges of the clear plastic door liner down firmly.
3.Using a drop of Superglue on each, fix the door panel poppers in their mountings on the door panel to stop them rattling (this is the low down rattle especially on rear doors).
4.If you turn the door panel round and look at the back face you will see the edges are returned and flat at the top corners. These flat faces rub up against rubber and plastic on the door and cause the 'ticking' sound. Place felt draft excluder on these faces to create a cushioned seperating layer, but seperate the felt from the plastic 'selotape type' backing before you do - buy some and you'll see what I mean.
5.On the top edge of the door you will see two metal upstands on which the door panel 'hangs'. Stick a one inch strip of draft excluder on the top of each one (selotape backing removed again).
6.Refix the panel.

Now I stress I have had 100% success and my car is silent inside but it might not work for you - especially if I have not explained things well! Try your worst door and see if it works for you.

By the way the heated rear window plugs rattle aswell.

Otis.
Old 29 November 1999, 08:30 AM
Imran
Scooby Regular

Otis,

Will try those mods, as the dealer can't seem to cure the rattles for more than one day.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us all. Rattles are THE only thing that annoy be about this otherwise fantastic car!

Imran
Old 29 November 1999, 05:31 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

or..just fit a sheet of 1" foam behind the trim panel..no rattles and makes your speakers a little more efficient cos there is less wasted noise..
Old 09 December 1999, 08:21 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Otis,
Seems like a good idea to me as dealer has failed twice to cure problem.
Chip