Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Guage warning for MY94 WRX owners...

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 1999, 04:04 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

If you are thinking of changing the stock black dials to white on an MY94 WRX then be careful. The fuel and temperature guages CANNOT have their needles removed. I now need to spend £90 on imported dials that will take 2 WEEKS to get from Japan. Serves me right I spose The RPM and speed dials are fine though.

GGR now knows of this, and advising everyone else of it. 5 other people had their dials shipped today for similar models. MY94 have the temp guage on the right registering from 9 o'clock (cold) to 12 o'clock (hot).

I don't in any way blame GGR for this problem. As mentioned above, they now know of this problem.

pilch

[This message has been edited by pilch (edited 20-10-1999).]
Old 20 October 1999, 04:54 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Why not just slit the dial face with a very sharp stanley knife, and slip it around the needle post?

Cheers,

A.
Old 20 October 1999, 05:03 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Alex,

Well, now I know! I did think of that, about 2 hours after the depression lifted! Meanwhile I have knackered dials. Time for a new posting in the Wanted section methinks...

Cheers

pilch
Old 20 October 1999, 06:10 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Pilch, that just leaves 4 others then!

Why do the dial needles not come off?

Did you not consider cutting the needle off cleanly and then supergluing it back onto the stub after placing the face onto the clocks?

My kit was also delivered with the temp and fuel sections on the opposite sides to what they should be.

Fight through, Necessity, the mother of many a bodge job.
(Deliberate misquote)

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 20-10-1999).]
Old 20 October 1999, 09:00 PM
Simon Chambo
Scooby Newbie

No mike!...Pilch's dials were the right way round 9-12 12-3 etc. He has just made a note so that other people now check before ordering. However I shall now explain. It would appear that all Grey import Impreza's have the fuel gauge on the left hand side, However some models depending on year(haven't worked out which years yet as I can't see any pattern to it yet)have a fuel gauge which reads 12 o'clock at full and 3 o'clock at empty and a temp gauge which reads 9 o'clock when cold and 12 o'clock when hot(This is of course if you consider each gauge as a clock face). Some cars like Mikes are the complete opposite of this. I may actually have this the wrong way round Mike as I didn't bring a white dial kit home with me and I'm doing this from memory. I think that the point is, we need to be specific when ordering white dial kits as to mph figure, rev counter figure, which side for temp/fuel and also which direction the scale reads.
I shall make a note on the website of GGR mentioning this and also to be careful in changing the dials that you don't break the spindle..... pilchard!

One car in GGR's workshop MY96 was the same as Mikes MY93 and yet Pilch's MY94 was the opposite...Any more comments on this ?
Old 21 October 1999, 12:50 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Lo Simon

Mike, I didn't think there would be a problem removing the dials (one of the main dials was a little stiff to remove). Why on earth I decided to try the second small dial after breaking the first no-one knows. Schmuck! That'll teach me. I am the master bodger, cos nothing ever works for me! I also broke my Xenon bulb! And I was talking to Simon about getting a complete quickshift assembly for my standard WRX... Should I attempt this? Simon, you fancy fitting this for me?

pilch the crappest bodger in the world
Old 21 October 1999, 12:57 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Twisted knickers in abundance, I just had to go & check, (The dials not my knickers).

My MY93 WRX has the layout as described by Simon. My understanding was that on some cars particularly UK spec. cars that the actual dials themselves were on opposite sides, with Fuel gauge on the right & temp gauge on the left.

Trending Topics

Old 21 October 1999, 10:00 PM
Simon Chambo
Scooby Newbie

Wink

All I can say is that you didn't fill me with the greatest confidence when you started to mention Christmas cracker screwdriver and socket sets Pilch. GGR will fit it for one and a half hours labour @ £45/hour (didn't have a calculator handy... can you tell). I am capable of fitting it but I am not allowed (conflict of interests and all that!!). Anyway after speaking to Lockwood and various customers today I have found out that the temp/fuel gauge pointer is removable. It just needs a slow precise amount of persuasion, hence not to be rushed whilst on ones dinner hour. Apparently the front facia which houses the lighting for the dials is very much in the way whilst trying to prise the spindle with two spoons and it would be easier if Uri Gella were involved.
Old 22 October 1999, 02:25 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Simon,

I didn't use spoons. I used the two metal brackets that hold the front clear panel over the rear white backing panel. They are ideal in tight situations, and are to hand when you get that far!

Lunch time... You don't know what my lunchtime is like! I start lunch about 12PM, finish about 3PM! Believe me, I was taking my time

I am hopefully getting some dials from a breaker (thanks Lee). That will save me time. I'm not phased about spending £90 with GGR, but I am not gonna wait 2 weeks for an import! (read: every supplier has this leadtime, not just GGR )

I still haven't worked out how I'm going to fit them. I can't get the whole dash out, so I'll probably have to unplug the speedo cable, which involves removing the turbo air intake, various hoses etc.... Is there an easier way? Advice welcome (Simon!) on direct mail.

Otherwise the dials look lovely! Almost as good as Alistairs STi dials

pilch
Old 22 October 1999, 03:33 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Question

Why not take the whole dash out, it is only two screws! (well two screws to get the cover off, and 4? to take the whole instrument pod out, unclip the wiring and bobs your uncle! I've taken mine out two or three times now and it only takes about 10 minutes start to finish!
Old 22 October 1999, 04:11 PM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Stuart

Ah, but which MY is your car? Mines a MY94 WRX, and the speedo cable is VERY restrictive. Here is a breakdown of what I have done so far to remove the dials:

1) 2 screws under front dash lip (left & right of steering wheel)
2) 2 screws under top of dash
3) Unclip all connectors from dash buttons and remove dash cover
4) 4 large 'washered' screws (fat heads on them) holding the unit in place
5) Pull unit forward as far as possible and unscrew the screws holding the restraining brackets in place (2). You need to press the screwdriver HARD into the dash sponge to get the angle and remove the clear fronting
6) Now you can access the dials. 2 screws per dial.

This is NOT how you remove the whole assembly. The speedo cable prevents full removal. The only way I can see to detach this is to get at the link above the gearbox from underneath the turbo intercooler. Not fun!!

All in all, you are correct, although there is still that damned speedo cable

pilch (You keep smiling, I'll keep bodgin')
Old 22 October 1999, 07:37 PM
LEE.R
Scooby Regular

get your hand around the back of the instrument case feel the back of the clocks where the cable connects to the clock give it a good pull or a tease with a screw driver it should just pop off it only clipped into the back then remove the clocks had mine in and out a few times(the clocks that is)
Old 23 October 1999, 05:49 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Red face

<B>D'oh</B>.
Pilch, if you've not already solved your needle problem E. Mail me direct, all is not lost.

Mike.
Old 25 October 1999, 08:49 AM
pilch
Scooby Regular

Hey guys, I've gotten my new dials now. I'm gonna leave the fuel and temp standard black, and the others white. It looks good that way! (and I don't get to break more dials!)

Mike, thanks for the offer. What did you have in mind?

Btw, I did eventually manage to get the whole dash unit out (easy as you said, Lee!) It makes the whole job much easier

pilch