Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Cleaning the windscreen (inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2003, 05:02 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any tips on what product(s) to use for cleaning the inside of the windscreen? I was thinking of using some wipes I bought which claimed to not leave any streaks but they failed miserably and left streaks on the window I used to test them on.
Old 08 March 2003, 07:17 PM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Talking

The best thing to use, and no joke - is a sheet of old newspaper, scrunch it up and then use it on the windscreen.

Thats what i do with mine

Cheers

Iain
Old 08 March 2003, 08:06 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Hi Iain,

You know, I was thinking of just that as I know it works absolute wonders on windows in the house. I guess there's no reason why normal everyday Windolene (or the equivalent) shouldn't do a good job when wiped down afterwards with a copy of the local rag. I believe it's something to do with the ink and the paper which makes it work it's stuff?

I use Fog-X (or whatever it's called in English) on the passenger windows but didn't want to put it on the windscreen after having sought advice here...so I was a bit stuck as to how best clear the "mist" from the windscreen. Those early rays of sunshine really tell me how badly I need to clean it!

Thanks very much for your reply.
Old 09 March 2003, 03:37 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use Auto Glym Car Glass Polish, followed by Rain-x Antifog. The Antifog always leaves crap which stands out like a sore thunmb in sunlight or street light, so i have to apply another coat of Auot Glym. This removes the crap but retains the affect of the Antifog.
Old 09 March 2003, 08:40 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply Brun. I've not seen AutoGlym on sale around here unfortunately. I chatted with the Meguiers (spelling!?) people today at the Geneva show. Dunno why I didn't buy anything on their stand...I think the bit where I was talking to them about tar spot removal and them mentioning that their product using acids in it *might* have *just* put me off (!!!!!)...anyway, went home and just took a few sheets of kitchen roll to the inside of the windscreen and applied some elbow grease. I pointed the car at the sun so I could see better where I was cleaning and it came out really well.

I'll have to find something good to use on the side windows as the wipes I have are rubbish. If I can source some autoglym I'll gave that a try. I'm sure Swissol (whose products I'm a big fan of) have something to sort this out but for some reason I'm less inclined to spend a lot of money on cleaning windows! Same goes for wheels - I'll buy some non-acidic, no-make cleaner and have done with it...although I have to say I'm glad the Holts stuff I was using ran out today as it really was next to useless on a scoob with all that brake dust.

Old 09 March 2003, 08:54 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Any alcohol based window cleaning spray works well with newspaper.

Alternatively, I use an old tea towel which is the "fluffy" variety, which is also pretty good, as it can dry the window as you wipe, rather than just smearing it about.

Old 09 March 2003, 08:55 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Another tip - make sure your heater is not pointing to the screen.

Takes a lot longer for it to get dirty.