Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

spraying interior help

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 02:43 PM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi there now the scooby inside allthough not the worst i have seen but is still a bit crap (my 98) i am thinking of using some of the folitec spray silver on

the radio and heat suround
the top tray thingy and vent suround
the corner windscreen vents and side vents
door opener plastic suround
window switch suround and maybe the center console gear **** suround

has anyone done this does it make any diffence? how is the paint holding up to the abuse?

and whats the best way to get the radio/heat suround out i took the ash tray out and pulled it out and up and it popped out a bit,but not wanting to damge it put it back,is this the way to get it out?

and how do the side vents come out not the window ones the main ones as these are the only thing that i can see being a problem as they are very deep

any info greatfull

ta

jo
Old 08 January 2003, 02:58 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

just sprayed my gearknob surrounding and heater surrounding (the bit that are sprayed in dark grey mettalich standard).

I used wheel spray because its very rboust paint, and the bits are already have a layer of paint on them;
Removing is not difficult : unscrew two bolts under the armrest, pull the handbrake surrounding back, then pull out the gearknobsurrounding and unscrew the gearknob, then pull out the heater sur. but be carful with the wires of the different butons, pop everything out and you're ready to paint. I just paint these two items because they were scratched, the other bits I leave so, my car doesn't want to become a surrealistic paint.

I used a tint of dark gold mettalic as it is in shape with the outside of my car (champagne mettalic)

The result holds up now for about 4 weeks without one scratch but if you want to spray bare plastic you better should use a primer I think...

Cheers...
Wally
Old 08 January 2003, 08:46 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

I wasn't to happy with the Folia Tec stuff. I painted various bit of my interior with the Folia Tec Interior spray about a year ago. I had lots of problem getting it to cover (as if there was oil or something on the plastic) I bought the cleaner, primer, etc but it still did the same. In the end I used ordinary grey primer (which worked fine) and then sprayed the colour on top. Only small areas around the door handles have started to flake off but it still looks fine.
Old 08 January 2003, 10:38 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

Like I said, I used regular wheel spray, but only on the already painted parts of the centre console, still looks better as new...
hope my Girlie don't wear them jewels anymore....
Old 08 January 2003, 10:38 PM
stuscooby
Scooby Regular

has anyone got a pic of this done?
Old 10 January 2003, 09:08 PM
wally
Scooby Regular

soon I will have a digicam... pics off the whole scoob will follow...
Old 11 January 2003, 06:32 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I did the same a toby and used normal grey primer. I found it worked best if you use some very fine wet'n'dry on the plastics before hand just to take the shine off and allow the primer to stick. I was just tidying up the interior so i just sprayed everything with halfords matt black and it seems to be standing up reasonably well to scratches.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2003, 04:39 PM
grabber
Scooby Regular

i done mine a few months ago, i used a plastic primer then 3 coats of paint and 2 of lacquer, its lasted well and has made a major improvement to the car, well worth doing.

Old 17 January 2003, 04:50 PM
markd
Scooby Regular

hi grabber...give us a run down of what & where to buy.also all prep work & painting details....cheers mark
Old 17 January 2003, 05:32 PM
grabber
Scooby Regular

i got all the stoff from halfords
plastic primer
silver paint
lacquer
600 grit sandpaper
basicly just follow the instructions on the tin, although i did use a hair dryer to speed up the drying time, gave everything 3-4 coats of each, making sure its dry inbetween coats . rub down before you use the primer & clean with thinners , very fine rub down again between primer-paint-lacqer.
the whole lot cost about £25 & took about 5 hours to do.
i found that its easier to hold the parts when spraying rather than hanging them up, just take your time, its not as hard as it looks but looks the nuts when its done,
good luck grabber
Old 17 January 2003, 06:19 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Grabber, that looks wicked mate! Nice one
Old 01 August 2003, 03:07 PM
DJ ATOMIC
Scooby Regular

i could not work out if it was a gray paint it has on it or if it was gray plastic i will see what folitec say on the can as is must etch it self into the plastic or it would come off

anyone know how to get the vents out then???

allso my car is green will silver go with it the cloth on the doors is a light gray color so i was thinking silver

and cheers wally

[Edited by DJ ATOMIC - 1/8/2003 3:09:14 PM]