Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2002, 04:34 PM
breadfan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I know this has all been asked before, but i want to make the dash backlight on my MY99 blue instead of green.

Is there any soldering to be done?
Are they bulbs or LEDs?
Where can i get them from?
How much work is involved?
Old 26 October 2002, 05:25 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

Like This?

Your best bet on how to fit the MY99 is to email eg@saxotech.com as he has done the MY99 mod

Details of LED can be found Click here for details

Huxley

Typo edit

[Edited by Huxley - 10/26/2002 5:52:50 PM]
Old 26 October 2002, 05:35 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

breadfan - YHM !

Paul Houbart
Gecko Motorsport
Old 27 October 2002, 08:53 AM
breadfan
Scooby Newbie

Thanks people, i'll check em out
Old 02 November 2002, 02:15 AM
Celicaobsessedchick
Scooby Newbie

Cool

New here. What's every ones ride? Is anyone in the Pei Audio car club?
Old 04 November 2002, 07:14 PM
Imprezive
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, the wife really want me to do this blue bulb thingy and to be honest, the ideas kinda growing on me, so, Can i buy the blue led lamps for the dash from R.S, components???
I have already replaced the heater control lamps cos they'd blown
but i i remember correctly, the lamps in there are clear, so hows
it we get them blue also???. I reckon on removing the green coloured gell from inside the rear window switch and replacing with a shade of blue,,, which i can send anyone which requires a wee bit!!.

Cheers
Billy

Old 04 November 2002, 08:21 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Imprezive -

You Have Mail

Paul Houbart
Gecko Motorsport

Trending Topics

Old 08 November 2002, 10:41 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Got my set of blue bulbs through the post yesterday, thanks Paul

Although i got the fitting instructions with them, i wondered if anyone had any further advice or tips on fitting them?

I used to happily dismantle my previous cars, but for some reason taking bits off the scoob worries me

Old 08 November 2002, 10:46 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

CELL -

No worries ! As far as fitting, the important thing I've always found is to take your time!. Pulling a scooby apart is no different to any other car, I too was intially nervous, but I've sinced managed to change an entire dashboard on my own.

If you've got a pre 97 jap import car, one important note is that your speedo maybe cable driven, like mine, and not electronic. If it is, when you pull the instrument panel out, the cable will obviously become disconnected from the speedo. Re-fitting the instrument panel means you MUST make sure the cable re-fits snugly into the speedo unit : on my car, it was a right bugger, and involved threading my tiny little hands past the steering column into the area behind the instrument panel, to push the cable on !
Old 08 November 2002, 07:39 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Talking

Huxley
Old 09 November 2002, 12:05 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Paul,

I've just tried to fit mine, it seems that two of the bulbs don't work. I had to use the two modified bulbs for the dash. The other problem is the lamps on the heater controls are about half the size of the ones you sent me.

Please can you reply to this as soon as poss!

Chris

P.S. I tried to phone you this morning but there was no answer.
Old 09 November 2002, 02:39 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Chris -

OK, couple of things :-

1. The bulbs that don't appear to work. Have you tried inserting them the other way around ? Because these bulbs are diodes, they only work one way around. I've had no reports of duff bulbs, so it's worth checking this.

2. The heater control section. Yes, the original bulbs are much smaller ! I can't remember if you've got a UK or Jap car : my experience is installing on the Jap cars. If you've got a UK car, then you should have a copy of the installation guide that someone typed up for me on how to do it. If your not sure having read it how to do it, let me know and I can get the author to go through it with you.

I won't be in work until Monday, but you can e-mail me anytime on Paul.Houbart@TheGecko.biz. If your unsure of anything, either e-mail me, or post up on here - plenty of people have installed these bulbs, so somebody should be able to supply an answer !

Paul Houbart
Gecko Motorsport
Old 09 November 2002, 04:28 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Paul,

my car is a MY96 UK turbo.

Im pretty sure i tried them the other way round too although i cannot be 100% sure, i found it very difficult to actually see which ones were working because of the daylight.
The one that illuminates the fuel gauge was flashing when i first installed it so i turned it round, then it didnt work at all so i put one of the modifed bulbs in and it worked fine. I must have had that dash panel in and out at least 10 times . I figured i would try them in the heater controls to see if they worked there, at least i would be able to see them lit that way.

The heater controls, i got the installation guide with the bulbs. I still cant figure out how to actally get those bulbs in the existing holders though the holders are too small. In the meantime i pulled off those two blue condom type covers from the lamps and left them white.

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris
Old 09 November 2002, 05:36 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

OK,

Any bulbs you think are dodgy, send them straight back to me, and I'll send out replacements. Sorry you had to be the first to find a dodgy set !

It can be difficult to see which bulbs are working in daylight, I simply stuck them in and then waited until dark - it's fairly obvious which bulbs are lit and which aren't. Following day, all you should need to do is reverse the unlit bulbs, and it should work fine.

As far as the heater control *****, I'll get Huxley here to post up exact details of the UK cars, as he's fitted plenty of them.

Old 09 November 2002, 07:25 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Red face

They might not be dodgy paul, could well be me mate

is there a way i can test them myself? 12v presumably?

I will hang on to them for now...... that would be good if Huxley could give me some guidance i would like blue backlit heater controls too if possible
I hope you didnt think i was being funny about the bulbs, it could well be me that didnt put them in right, its been known before

Cheers

Chris
Old 09 November 2002, 07:50 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Not a problem - was more worried about you being stuck with out any dash lights ! Any 12v supply will illuminate them, I believe they will go down to around 5-6v if necessary.

I've e-mailed Huxley, I'll give him a buzz tomorrow if he hasn't replied by then : anybody other UK owners out there willing to offer support in the meantime ?

Old 10 November 2002, 12:26 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Cell i will email you me number and you can give me a call after 12.00 on Sunday.

Regards Huxley
Old 10 November 2002, 12:36 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

when I did the heater controls on mine (MY97 UK) it was a bit tricky. What I found was that if you unclip the black bit off the front, ie the bit with the markings on, you can get right inside the whole thing. 2 clips top and bottom. There are basically tubes that let the light flow round the switches.
Anyway, I pushed the holder in from the back and slotted it into place, then put the bulbs in from the front. You may have to do some wiggling with the tubes as well. Bloody fiddly, and probably the explanation is not very clear either. Also, my bulbs were a touch too big for the holders but a quick squeeze with the pliers sorted that one.

Steve

PS I did the same thing and pu some bulbs in upside down, and missed a couple in the dash too. I had mine in the garage to d then shut the door to test.
Old 10 November 2002, 09:46 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Huxley,

I just tried to get my mail from work, looks like the mail server in the office has malfunctioned [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Please can you mail me your number to chris_lynch@hotmail.com

Thanks

Stephen, i think yours must be different to mine mate. There is no way i can get the bulbs into those holders they are tiny. Nipped to halfords yesterday and the local electrical bits shop. They had green or white bulbs only that would fit

Cheers

Chris
Old 10 November 2002, 10:17 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cell YHM on the hot mail account.

Huxley
Old 11 November 2002, 08:40 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular