Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Removing MY99/MY00 ashtray

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2002, 02:57 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to remove the ashtray to fit an MP3 control unit in it's place. Everything was going great until I found a screw right at the back of the tray holding the runners into the dash.

I can't get at it with any screwdrive and it looks like the only way is to remove the large metal lump right behind the gear stick.

Has anyone and ideas what the metal case is for and if it's OK to remove it?

Also looks like it's attached with some security screws, so anyone know where I can get hold of these types of screwdriver?

Stefan
Old 28 August 2002, 09:01 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to remove the center panel trim or else you cannot access it. This metal plate that holds the ashtray is actually fitted with 3 screws (I think that's how it was but not sure anymore) , you probably only see the one in the back in the middle but there are 2 more in front.

Once you remove the center panel, which requires to also remove the handbrake surround and the gearlever trim, there shouldn't be any problem to access it.

Sounds complicated, but unfortunately the only way to access the ashtray plate srews.
But, now thinking of it, you could also remove your ICE head unit and undo the screws from above with pliers (sorry not sure if ''pliers'' is the right word??)

IF you need further details and evtl. photos, let me know.

Ramon
Old 29 August 2002, 10:21 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Hi Ramon,

Thanks for the reply and sorry it's been a few days since I've been able to reply.

I've remove the front two screws (that was the easy part), but I can't get at the third one in the back to undo it.

Looks like the only way is to remove the large metal device behind the gear lever. I looked at removing the dash trim, but didn't see that this would help (on my car anyway).

Here's a pic of the thing I'm talking about (circled red).

Stefan
Old 30 August 2002, 07:53 AM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Uh oh, that is not the part I was talking about....
Sorry, I don't know how to remove that one, but anyway I suggest you remove the dash trim you surely can see where this part goes and where else it is screwed together....

Good luck,
Ramon
Old 30 August 2002, 04:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

OK, thanks Ramon.

I'll try the General Technical forum to see if anyone has any ideas what it is.

Stefan
Old 02 September 2002, 12:55 PM
SeepyScoob
Scooby Regular

OZZY!!!!!!!
Don't touch!!!!

I think this is the collision sensor that controls the air bags!!
Muck about with it and it may set them off.
If you look in the owners handbook which I happened to do at the weekend (sad man) under the bit about SRS airbags it shows the sensor in just that position.
I hope you read this before it's too late.
Old 02 September 2002, 01:29 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

I know there is something behind there which looks like an ECU. Probably the Airbag control unit, but don't think the sensor are there???

Can somebody tell?
Old 02 September 2002, 01:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Don't worry lads, I've not touched it.

Currently trying to find one of these flexible screwdriver extensions so I can get to the pesky screw holding in the ashtray runners.

Thanks for the heads-up,

Stefan
Old 01 October 2002, 12:53 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Right, I finally managed to figure out how to remove the ashtray runners from my car.

First thing to do is simply remove the ashtray itself. If you just push down the clip inside the tray, the whole thing should just slide straight out. That's the easy bit over with.

Next, you need to remove the two screws at the front holding the metal ashtray runners in-place.

There's one final screw inside the console holding the runner. The only way to get to it is to remove the console trim. It's only clipped in-place, but rather than levering it out with a screwdriver, I decided to remove the glovebox and my headunit to get better access.

There's a clip on either side (about in line with the bright switch). I put my hand behind the trim (that's why I removed the glovebox) and just unclipped it on the left-side only.

There's two further clips along the bottom of the trim, so to get at these and to make removing the trim easier, I remove the trim around the handbrake. I've done this before and it literally takes a couple of minutes.

Once that was out of the way, I just gently (but firmly) pulled away the centre trim from the bottom. Since the ashtray runners are still in-place they will catch on the console trim. I just had to put my hand through the headunit opening to work it clear. You can then get access to the last screw from below. You will also need to un-plug the ashtray light too, but once done it'll just pop straight out.

Just push back the console trim and it'll snap back in-place.

Stefan