Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Dash Flocking?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2021, 09:48 AM
Initialr3
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dash Flocking?

Morning all, my legacy dash is knackered. Years of beating Japanese sun has cracked it heavily. I had a re-vinyl priced up (at about £400) however was considering flocking.

I've seen pictures etc and it looks class, would go well with the Alcantara I already have on the seats and will get for the steering wheel.

Are there any disadvantages with flocking? Does anyone recommend a shop/garage in Glasgow that can do it?
Old 27 September 2021, 04:27 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, dogs, dogs are a big fu**ing problem with anything flocked, I have my roof and pillars all flocked, cleaning it after my dog has been in the car is an absolute nightmare which is why I've not done by dash yet lol.

Can't help you with shops but you can get a kit on amazon/ebay or fabric that glues on
Old 27 September 2021, 07:24 PM
Initialr3
Scooby Regular

Haha, I don't currently own a dog (would love one) so that wouldn't be that much of a problem.

I currentlly use 303 Aerospace spray on my dash, how do you clean flocked products without removing the flock?

The dash needs some patching work on it as some of the factory vinyl has come away, do you just flock over it or do you have to remove the vinyl before flocking?

Sorry for the questions but I am considering doing myself.
Old 02 October 2021, 09:52 AM
Matt Gooner Moulding
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Had my dash flocked by a very good guy down on the south coast at a good price. He’s worth a shout @southcoastflockingandperformance on fb
Old 03 October 2021, 07:32 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

never had any issues with any of my flocked dashes ,, iv had them in pretty much all models from classic right up to my hatch , just keep some sticky tape handy and keeping it clean is easy ,, get a pro to do it as they will turn out loads better as the pros use a static charge so the flock goes on thicker ,, FCM motorsport got mine done
Old 03 October 2021, 02:42 PM
Initialr3
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, thats reassured me. I've found a guy in Glasgow that will do it, I will ask what method he uses (static charge or traditional).

My problem is getting it out. I'm trying to time it with getting my steering wheel done etc, however its proving difficult to a) find a trimmer in Glasgow that has availability, b) get Alcantara to match and in a reasonable timeframe.
Old 07 October 2021, 07:32 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Initialr3
Thanks guys, thats reassured me. I've found a guy in Glasgow that will do it, I will ask what method he uses (static charge or traditional).

My problem is getting it out. I'm trying to time it with getting my steering wheel done etc, however its proving difficult to a) find a trimmer in Glasgow that has availability, b) get Alcantara to match and in a reasonable timeframe.
send the steering wheel to edge automotive interiors , they have done loads of steering wheels for me ,, dash is actully quite easy to remove once you know where it all attaches lol
Old 07 October 2021, 04:23 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Initialr3

I thought of doing mine and came to the conclusion that id buy one from a scrapped car and have that flocked, this way you minimise the down time of your pride and joy.
One out one in.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12 October 2021, 10:36 AM
Initialr3
Scooby Regular

Could use some advise on colouring actually.

When the dash is out for flocking (jet black) I am getting my steering wheel, gear gaiter and handbrake boot trimmed in Alcantara.

Any advise on colour matching. The seats on the Legacy have a weird grey/black/anthracite Alcantara centre to them. The trimmers could not match another Alcantara colour to them and even showed me the chart to try match myself. Nothing matches. To top it off my A-Pillars are dark blue Alcantara. I'll upload a picture to show you.

I'm thinking if the dash is jet black, to get the steering wheel and gaiters done in black Alcantara with the red STI stitching (which also matches the seat). Nothing is going to properly match its just trying to get it as neat as possible, any recommendations?